Car was running fine then I killed it to restart it and got nothing...

-

supersoap33

Reaction score
The car won't even crank now. I have been working on the electrical and stuff. Ended up being that the timing was out and that's why it wouldn't start. But once the timing was set right, it fired right up. When I turned the key off and then back on, gauges come on but then it won't crank. It's completely silent.

1. Check battery voltage
  2. Check for voltage at the starter relay with key in start position

1974 was the first and maybe only year of that terrible, Federally mandated bullshit.

OK I thought I mentioned this. 74 was the dreaded seat belt interlock, a box under the hood on the fender apron with a reset button. To do away with that, identify two "yellowish" wires at the connector and permanently splice them together.

If it will not crank with the key after that, the functional path is key switch---yellow wire hot in start---through the bulkhead connector---through the reset box----to the starter relay, one of two "push on" flag terminals, through the relay coil and out to the second flag termianl, to a dark colored wire which goes down the bulkhead to the neutral safety switch, center terminal. That gets grounded in park/ neutral

16kx4d2-jpg.jpg

100_0894-jpg-jpg.jpg

By the way PLEASE ALWAYS mention year make model and what transmission, IE stick/ auto. Hell I can't keep track of what I own, much less yours LOLOL

-
Back