Car You Took Your Driver's License Test With

-
My 71 Charger.
Scan0011.jpg
Scan0012.jpg

A 1969 Burgundy Olds Delta Royale (455 Rocket as I recall).
upload_2019-8-2_8-57-40.png

I got close to the curb that had some loose gravel at a stop sign. I threw some gravel on the take off and was sweating the pass / fail for the rest of the drive. Not a word from the examiner.

'68 Jeep CJ5. With its super short wheelbase, when it came time to do the parallel parking test (yes, they did that back then!), the examiner laughed and said "We'll just skip that part." LOL

My wife took the test it in a '62 Ford station wagon... she says she almost blew the parallel parking test in that monster!

I had an 84 CJ-7 for awhile. I can only imagine how quick a CJ-5 would turn!!

'68 Jeep CJ5. With its super short wheelbase, when it came time to do the parallel parking test (yes, they did that back then!), the examiner laughed and said "We'll just skip that part." LOL

My wife took the test it in a '62 Ford station wagon... she says she almost blew the parallel parking test in that monster!

First car I drove was a 1964 MGB roadster. My old man had bought it from someone at work with a seized engine. Pulled the head off, soaked the cylinders with penetrating oil and pounded on the pistons with a hammer and a block of wood until it freed up. I got the 'honor' of backing it out of the garage one day, I was 10 years old, and promptly had my leg overpowered by the clutch, careening out the door of the garage on a slight angle, managing to hit both the house and the front bumper of dad's 71 Mercury Meteor. I was sure I was about to take my last breath, but he just kind of smirked and gave a slight chuckle. Apparently I had avoided doing any real damage to anything. A few months later he let me drive the Meteor in a field, by myself. My parents divorced a couple years later, and I was driving fairly regularly by then, with and without their knowledge.

My first car was a 1967 Dodge Charger when I was 15, had a 318 LA 2 barrel, automatic trans, 4 bucket seats, dual exhaust, a full length console, and a lot of body filler. That was a really cool car, but because my mother's boyfriend had loaned me most of the money to buy it, and she wanted to dump him, I had to sell it about a month before I turned 16, but at least I made a couple hundred bucks on it. My first flip!

My mom owned a driver training school and had a poop brown 74 Ford Maverick 4 door, powered by a 250 cube 6 banger automatic, and equipped with two sets of accelerator and brake pedals. I used that car for my driver's test, went on my 16th birthday, mom let me drive there, passed the written test first thing in the morning, and she had booked me a road test for early that afternoon, passed first try. A couple weeks later I bought a 68 Ford Fairlane 500, 2 door hardtop with a 289, 2 barrel automatic, headers, and dual exhaust, dark metallic blue with bucket seats.

1971 Dodge dart swinger
bronze
blk/wt interior split bench
225 a/t
a/c p/s manual disc
rimblow wheel
black vinyl top
interchangible women in the passenger seat.
loved that car

Did mine in my old mans M-body.
Up here it was a Plymouth Caravelle but basically a Dodge Diplomat.
Same as this car but it was tan with a vinyl landau roof.
This car taught me about ballast resistor failures as well as Chryslers infamous lean burn .
3529341645_cb981be948_b.jpg

took mine in 1986 in a 71 Charger SE - power everything with a 383 Magnum ( still miss that car)

During the test - the person giving me the test kept playing with the window -up and down and the seat - forward-tilt To be honest, the only reason I passed was because he liked the car. I failed parallel parking - like I was ever going to do that and I rolled a stop sign

Great memories and a fun thread

PS - later photos with non-functioning superbee hood. It would just sort of flap at high speeds - had a cut coat hanger holding it

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

One for sale here in town :lol: More door with a 302. Gave me twisted visions of the Gapp & Roush Taxi :lol:

I was suppose to get the families 73 Maverick 4 door with 302. It was a orangish copper with white roof and trim. Thankfully one of my sisters trashed the car so much my parents sold it. So I only had to learn how to drive in it

I had an 84 CJ-7 for awhile. I can only imagine how quick a CJ-5 would turn!!
I have an '84 CJ7 in the garage needing work right now LOL

I knew one guy who rallied in a V-8 powered CJ5 (Guy Light, from MI). Even with the super short WB, it was still hard to turn with a locked 4WD setup on gravel forest roads. He was pretty good at 'throwing' that twitchy thing sideways entering corners.... braver and more skillful than me!

I got a 1972 Plymouth Barracuda 318/auto, manual steer and brakes, when I was 15 and Dad and I did the body and painted it. It was ready for my 16th birthday but I was still sporting a hip to toe cast after a crash landing while pole-vaulting at 12.5 feet broke my kneecap in half. Two weeks after my birthday, on the way home from the hospital from getting the cast off, we stopped at the DMV for the test with the Barracuda. I couldn't walk or bend my leg yet but I was able to rotate my foot enough to go gas to brake. Barely missed parallel parking but nailed everything else. I think the tester was impressed with my pain tolerance and determination to git-er-done.

I got mine in the fall of '78 in my mom's '72 Olds Delta Royale 2 door.
That was a great car to drive, it had a 425 Olds engine out of a '66 wrecked 4 door and it had a lot of power for a land yacht.
I got my motorcycle license on a Honda XL 100 about two months before i got my car license and 2 weeks to the day after i turned 16.
I inherited Mom's old '64 Buick Special 4 door to get me around until i could afford one of my own.
I ended up buying a '71 Dart Custom 4 door 225 slant six auto as my first car when i got my first tax return for $700 when i was 17.
I wish i still had it, i loved that car and it was in great shape, but it had a habit of eating dipsticks........
I sold it to buy a '71 Demon with a 318 and floor shift 3 speed standard and an 8 3/4 with 3:23 gears.
I loved that one too, i should never have sold it even if it was a beater.
I sold it to buy a '69 Super Bee 383 4 speed ramcharger hood car, and i kept that one for many years.

That Imperial is a work of art!!
It may be a work of art and my dad loved the heck out of that car. but parallel parking that ***** was miserable since I'm/was really short and couldn't see much over the windshield @ 16 and 5'2'. I didn't hit 5'8 till I was almost 19.

It may be a work of art and my dad loved the heck out of that car. but parallel parking that ***** was miserable since I'm/was really short and couldn't see much over the windshield @ 16 and 5'2'. I didn't hit 5'8 till I was almost 19.

I'm 5'8" and I'm not sure I could see over that hood, lol. Those cars were huge!!

Myself, a 1965 Newport 4 door boat. Fine nice car tho, O in 1978 I took the test...\
ebay990801.jpg

-
Back