Carb and intake suggestions

-
A stroker is going to make plenty of tq down low.

I'd run an air gap or a victor 340. The 3000 converter with 3.55 and 28" tall tire is going to work that converter hard down low. You'll find out soon if the converter is a good one or not. If it's a shelf unit, it may be not so good.
It's a built one from Coan. 8 inch.

I would suggest a carburetor and intake. They run well together.

An 8" converter that stalls 3k is an unusual piece.

Well, if you want my honest opinion......not that it matters, as there are plenty of way more knowledgeable people here than I, but here goes.

You have a GREAT build! I wish one day I could do a stroker.......a B motor, but a stroker. Probably not in the cards, but ANYWAY.........you built a beast and geared it like a sissy. No offense. THAT said, here is MY recommendation. Edelbrock air gap, Holley 950 HP and.........and............4.10 gears. Those 3.55s are really costing you, IMO. Let the thing do what you built it for. Scream.

I would run a Victor, that is what I use on my 408 street car (full interior, mufflers, driven to the track, low 10's, etc.). I would also go with a 950 Holley if it were me.

Just know that you will need to do some work to get the ports to match up....the quality control at Edelbrock is not the best (core shift issues).

Super Victor then...

If he did all my recommendations including gears, I tend to agree with you. In fact, I think a 1050 Dominator would probably not be "too big" then.

I would run a Victor, that is what I use on my 408 street car (full interior, mufflers, driven to the track, low 10's, etc.). I would also go with a 950 Holley if it were me.

Just know that you will need to do some work to get the ports to match up....the quality control at Edelbrock is not the best (core shift issues).
Thanks. I am less than impressed with Edelbrock and their quality control. I was going to use the Pro-Flo 4 system and could not get my valve covers to get even close to the gasket sealing surface. After dealing with Edelbrock and their tech department and finally their tech manager, their solution was to mill the overhang off their brand new intake or grind my valve covers until they fit. My solution is to send it back and tell them to kiss my a^%. After spending that money, this shouldn't be an issue and if it is there should be a better solution than that.

As for my gears, I do have another 3rd member, I am running a narrowed 9 inch, with 4.56 gears as well as the 3.55 gears I am running now. Should it end up at a track, it will get the 4.46 gears.

Thanks. I am less than impressed with Edelbrock and their quality control. I was going to use the Pro-Flo 4 system and could not get my valve covers to get even close to the gasket sealing surface. After dealing with Edelbrock and their tech department and finally their tech manager, their solution was to mill the overhang off their brand new intake or grind my valve covers until they fit. My solution is to send it back and tell them to kiss my a^%. After spending that money, this shouldn't be an issue and if it is there should be a better solution than that.

As for my gears, I do have another 3rd member, I am running a narrowed 9 inch, with 4.56 gears as well as the 3.55 gears I am running now. Should it end up at a track, it will get the 4.46 gears.
How about an update??

If you are keeping things the way they are, my recommendation is definitely the air gap, especially if the converter is 3xxx any flash, which seems hard to believe if it’s an 8 inch
Carb wise, 950 Holley.
If the converter had more flash and you had more gear, the Victor would work well, but you don’t, so it would be mighty soggy on the street with your vert and gears with that single plane.
I had that Mopar single plane on a stock stroke 360, didn’t like it, replaced it with an air gap, car ran 11.20’s ultimately with the airgap. Not an intake to underestimate, it works on most everything

Street car? I believe the OP’s intended use is street car, but nothing about this says street car except the rear gear. Oh that car will weight 3400+lbs. None of us are as light as we think we are! :)

I know this is an old post, but I've never put an aftermarket intake on a Mopar small block whose valve covers didn't need to be trimmed a bit at four places to fit. Not a big deal. . . .

Edit: At least with cast aluminum valve covers. OEM stamped sheet metal probably OK for most intakes.

20220214_153829.jpg

Last edited:
Worst intake I've ever tried on a small block was a Weiand dual plane. Driver's side front corner would break every time I tightened that bolt. Tried it with and without the end gaskets. Break, weld it back together, mount it, break. Finally gave up and threw it away. Never had a problem with an Edelbrock intake/

Street car? I believe the OP’s intended use is street car, but nothing about this says street car except the rear gear. Oh that car will weight 3400+lbs. None of us are as light as we think we are! :)

I would be surprised if it weighs 3400+
I also have a 69 Dart. All steel, no glass anywhere. 8 point mild steel cage, frame connectors, 15 gallon aluminum cell close to topped off, carpet , stock dash , Yada, Yada. Only thing missing is back seat.
With 320 pound driver( me) in the car it weighs between 3310-3350 depending on exactly how much gas is aboard.
Had it on lots of scales. So to weigh 75-100 pounds more than mine when I am 320 pounds and carry lots of gas plus the cage .....?
Iron heads will certainly add weight( mine are aluminum ) but I am still 320 as driver and have the mild steel 8 point.

-
Back