carb cfm for 383

-

HemiDenny

HDK Suspension
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
having a nice discussion w/ brothers regarding carb size on a fresh 383/4-speed...road runner cam, 9.5 compression, Eddy heads/intake for low rpm/torque/ 1.75 TTi headers/2.5" full exhaust with flowmasters.......coffee getter.

I say 650cfm AVS is just right...bolt it on and GO. Shoot, my 426 Hemi only runs on the rear 600cfm most of the time

they are lobbying for a 750....then play with the rods and jets. (I think they are just goona lean it down till it runs like a 650 except at WOT)

input appreciated....

Yeah the TQ would rock your world, but you gotta be familiar with tuning them. If you aren't, I like them 670 Street Avengers.

It's what came in 383 and 440 HP engines.

I think they are around 282 duration/ 484 lift????...the factory HP cam

A Holley vacuum secondary 750 (3310) would be about perfect. Probably wouldn't need to change jetting too much either. Not sure how you could "just goona lean it down till it runs like a 650 except at WOT". A smaller carb is not inherently leaner.

If they like the avs style, and with the good heads, intake, headers, and 4 speed I would look into the 800 cfm thunder series. The hot ticket back in the day was to use the 440 750 cfm avs on the 383.

A Holley vacuum secondary 750 (3310) would be about perfect. Probably wouldn't need to change jetting too much either. Not sure how you could "just goona lean it down till it runs like a 650 except at WOT". A smaller carb is not inherently leaner.

understand....but with the more CFM , are you not putting more fuel (with air) thru the the motor.

this is a driver...not a race car. runs from 800 to 3500 RPM most of the time.

and thanks for your input,

The 770 street avenger will do a great job we are running them on 340s and 360s very forgiving carbs and work great.

Heck,the factory ran a 2bbl on a 383.
For what your doing, the Ede 650 Thunder Series would work great.

I've got a Holley 750 Vac Sec (3310) on my 383 in the Duster and it runs great! I mucked around with different vacuum springs, squirter and acccelerator pump cam and it's beautiful to drive and these carbs are cheap and easy too..

Heck,the factory ran a 2bbl on a 383.
For what your doing, the Ede 650 Thunder Series would work great.

I never seen a 383 HP with a 2bbl. But I have seen more than one stock 383 HP with a Holley 3310 750 and they sucked it RIGHT down with absolutely no problem.

My uncle has 383 in 67 sport fury conv it has 2 barrel but its a dog with that carb, it was labeled as commando, not super commando.

Avs = Thunder series. If ultimate performance is not your goal, a 650 will be fine. A 650 will give you nice throttle response but may sacrifice some performance at high RPM. For my 440 I have chosen to run a street demon. They make a 625 that has received good reviews. In theory it takes the best of a AVS and Holley and combines in to make a square bore thermoquad. I have not run mine yet, so no input on how it actually performs.

multiply 383 times anticipitated maximum rpm divided by 3456

if your vacuum gauge does not go to zero on wot you need a larger carb

multiply 383 times anticipitated maximum rpm divided by 3456

if your vacuum gauge does not go to zero on wot you need a larger carb

383 x 5800 divided by 3456 =.............642.766204

close enough for this coffee getter!...thanks

-
Back