Carb Choice

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Holley Ultra Black 750. Should I get mechanical or vacuum secondaries. I am building a 340/416 stroker motor. It will have 2.02 iron heads which will be mildly worked. Performer Air Gap, Headers, Lunati 276/513 cam, built 727, 3:55 gears, 27" tires,

Ditto, your build is mild. IF you get the DP, you'll have to learn when your OK to open up the other half.

Congrats on a serious torque monster. Considering 3.55's and 27" tires, i agree with the others...vac. Will take some trial and error tuning, but when it's right, you'll love it.
With that said, if your converter choice happens to stall in the 3000/3500 range you could probably use a DP. Doubt you'll need a converter that loose with the cam you're using and the 4" arm.

Congrats on a serious torque monster. Considering 3.55's and 27" tires, i agree with the others...vac. Will take some trial and error tuning, but when it's right, you'll love it.
With that said, if your converter choice happens to stall in the 3000/3500 range you could probably use a DP. Doubt you'll need a converter that loose with the cam you're using and the 4" arm.

Being I am building this to just cruise around and I will be spending a lot of time just driving in the 40 to 70 MPH range, I want to occasionally be able to get her to really jump. Last 360 motor I had with the 750 vacuum, it would actually bog down when I mashed the gas? I was told that was the secondaries looking for the vacuum, and I should get a mechanical secondary carb for the stroker??? Did I not have the vacuum carb set up correctly?? Also, being that this will be a cruiser, what would be a safe torque converter so I get full lock up while cruising without slippage and heating up the tranny? My guy is looking at about 2800 but I had other opinions of about 2400?

Im using a holley 770 street avenger carb I really like it. I have 3.55 26 inch tires and a 2200 converter and everything falls into place the way it should.

Being I am building this to just cruise around and I will be spending a lot of time just driving in the 40 to 70 MPH range, I want to occasionally be able to get her to really jump. Last 360 motor I had with the 750 vacuum, it would actually bog down when I mashed the gas? I was told that was the secondaries looking for the vacuum, and I should get a mechanical secondary carb for the stroker??? Did I not have the vacuum carb set up correctly?? Also, being that this will be a cruiser, what would be a safe torque converter so I get full lock up while cruising without slippage and heating up the tranny? My guy is looking at about 2800 but I had other opinions of about 2400?

Great additional info, Thanks. After rethinking the situation and trying not to stray too far from the original question, here are my thoughts......Very few as delivered/out of the box carbs are ever optimal for the exact combo the are bolted to. After initial setup tuning, many will need tweaks in the jetting, pump nozzle or power valve and in some cases (vac secd) opening rate tuning. Patients with some trial and error is often needed depending on the individual case. Once some have had a vac secd that wasn't right it sours them on that type carb. Could it have been corrected? Most likely yes. As far as what you have now.......With the choices you've presented, and plenty of torque available, I would choose the DP. With a converter built/recommended by a good shop (PTC, Dynamic, etc.) you'll get stocker type drivability and the ability to flash 2500-3500 rpm's when you need it. With a must have optimal timing curve, meaning as much initial as you can run, i think you'll quickly learn to be able to cruise normally and keep your foot out of the secondaries and when you do want them, there will be know doubt you'll have them. Sorry for the long winded response :icon_smi:.

Edelbrock thunder avs 800. I only bought one, it was new from Summit. I guess it could use some sort of very minor tweak but I cannot tell it at all. we dropped it on an almost stock, 74 440, set idle mixture and it has been perfect for 4 years.

I have a 750 DP from Biggs that I was looking to sell if you are interested. There is nothing wrong with it, I just want a bigger Carb.

-
Back