Carb for my 318

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I have a stock 78 318 with a 360 4 bbl intake from a B250 van. I need a carb to replace the Holley 570 Street Avenger I have. I have it narrowed it down to 2 carbs.

The lean burn system is long gone and has a electronic dist,but I will be changing it to a electronic vacuum advance dist with a MSD 6A box,adding headers

Which one would be best?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-64-1532/

or
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1403/
I'd pick this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1406/
500 cfm is too small IMO,

something was set wrong (float bowls) or it was defective from the factory, I have a 650 cfm thunder series on my engine now, worked good right out of the box, I had a 625 Carter on my basically stock 360 for 23 years never had any issues with that. Most guys on here will reccomend a holly of some kind, I have only used Carters/edelbrocks.

something was set wrong (float bowls) or it was defective from the factory, I have a 650 cfm thunder series on my engine now, worked good right out of the box, I had a 625 Carter on my basically stock 360 for 23 years never had any issues with that. Most guys on here will reccomend a holly of some kind, I have only used Carters/edelbrocks.

I seen that first one was a reman Holley TQ and I have a 570 Street Avenger it drinks the gas,that is why I was looking at the 500 cfm. :banghead:

I have some used but good holley 600 for sale if interested.

OTR, Ethier would be a good carb to use, it's just that I have not heard good things about the Holley Remaned T-Q. IMO, I would go and ask David AKA Demonsizzler @ thermoquads.com if he has a carb for you in stock. I'd bet he does. He is very good at rebuilding them and easy to deal with. Just over the boarder from you in Ga. he can have it at your door quickly.

While I like the T-Q, theres nothing wrong with the AFB/AVS style carbs at all. I don't know what your issue with the prior carb was, but the CFM rating of 600 is excellent from stock to a nicely modded 318.

I myself like the AVS style better over the AFB. I like the T-Q over the AVS.

The T-Q has very small primaries. (800 cfm model has smaller ones than the bigger 850 cfm carb.)

No matter the carb maker or style, tune that bad boy to it's max!

drove my 71 318 Dart Swinger for several years with the eddy 1406 on it...

carb is now on 73 Duster...

OTR, Ethier would be a good carb to use, it's just that I have not heard good things about the Holley Remaned T-Q. IMO, I would go and ask David AKA Demonsizzler @ thermoquads.com if he has a carb for you in stock. I'd bet he does. He is very good at rebuilding them and easy to deal with. Just over the boarder from you in Ga. he can have it at your door quickly.

While I like the T-Q, theres nothing wrong with the AFB/AVS style carbs at all. I don't know what your issue with the prior carb was, but the CFM rating of 600 is excellent from stock to a nicely modded 318.

I myself like the AVS style better over the AFB. I like the T-Q over the AVS.

The T-Q has very small primaries. (800 cfm model has smaller ones than the bigger 850 cfm carb.)

No matter the carb maker or style, tune that bad boy to it's max!

The first Eddy carb 1406 wouldn't work no matter what. The Holley 570 Street Avenger is just worn out I bought it used,drinks a lot of gas, cuts out when driving and a general pita since it has almost cost me my Cordoba. I'm trying to get the 318 ready to go into my 65 barracuda in place of the /6. The biggest problem I can see is finding a rear end that can take the place of the 7 1/4 in it now.

I would go with the Edel 600 manual choke. The manual choke carb is jetted more for performance,than the electric choke.
Works like a charm on a 318.
I always check the float out of the box,but that is simple. You check the floats on any carb right ?
Other than that,bolt on and go.

Put a Holley on and be ready to fuss with it more than a British motorcycle.
By the way the Street Avenger is one of Holleys worst carbs.

I would go with the Edel 600 manual choke. The manual choke carb is jetted more for performance,than the electric choke.
I always check the float out of the box,but that is simple. You check the floats on any carb right ?

Put a Holley on and be ready to fuss with it more than a British motorcycle.
By the way the Street Avenger is one of Holleys worst carbs.

Yeah I hate it so I think I will fill it with gas and melt it.

I have a stock 78 318 with a 360 4 bbl intake from a B250 van. I need a carb to replace the Holley 570 Street Avenger I have. I have it narrowed it down to 2 carbs.

The lean burn system is long gone and has a electronic dist,but I will be changing it to a electronic vacuum advance dist with a MSD 6A box,adding headers

Which one would be best?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-64-1532/

or
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1403/

Holley remanufactured the ThermoQuad? I didn't know that. I wonder if they make other parts for them?

I seen that first one was a reman Holley TQ and I have a 570 Street Avenger it drinks the gas,that is why I was looking at the 500 cfm. :banghead:

So put the 500 on there. You will leave some performance out on the table,but you will get good gas mileage.

Just wondering,what makes you think the 500 will be more reliable than the 600 ?
Same carb,different cfm.

Also wondering why you would ask people their advice on a carb,3 or 4 pick the same carb,and basically you tell them their fos ?

Why even ask for advice ?

Here is my 318 with an eddy 500cfm man/choke carb. Had a perfrmer RPM intake and Ran real good. Still have the egine if anyone is interested in it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EBEvNxtUUk"]YouTube - 72 Duster 318 burn out[/ame]

Theres no performance gain between a manual and electric choke period. Any body that truly believes this has a lack of knowledge. The carb needs to be tuned. That IS the bottom line.

Holley remanufactured the ThermoQuad? I didn't know that. I wonder if they make other parts for them?

No they do not. Some places do make parts, but not to many parts. David (Demonsizzler) can help out here.

So put the 500 on there. You will leave some performance out on the table,but you will get good gas mileage.

Just wondering,what makes you think the 500 will be more reliable than the 600 ?
Same carb,different cfm.

Also wondering why you would ask people their advice on a carb,3 or 4 pick the same carb,and basically you tell them their fos ?

Why even ask for advice ?

Ecellent mileage can be had with ethier carn. Alot depends on the state of tune and the right foots weight. The 500 may have a technical size fit over the 600, but it is also likely to tip into the secondaries quicker.

What's "Fo's?"

He asked for advice and help, that is why this forum is here.

600 eddy/holley and someone to tune it for you.

Welcome aboard BALLZDEEP! Your advice is probably the best for him. He ethier needs someone to tune it for him or learn himself.

Theres no performance gain between a manual and electric choke period. Any body that truly believes this has a lack of knowledge. The carb needs to be tuned. That IS the bottom line.

Not true. Look up the differences in Edelbrock manual and electric choke carbs.
The manual choke carbs are calibrated for performance rather than mileage,while the electric choke carbs are calibrated for maxium fuel economy.
Lack of knowledge ?

What's "Fo's?"

And he was given sound advice by 4 or 5 people,Ede 600.
Why ask for advice,get sound advice,and then tell them there wrong ?
fos = full of s**t.

I agree,the bottom line is any carb needs to be tuned.

Not true. Look up the differences in Edelbrock manual and electric choke carbs.
The manual choke carbs are calibrated for performance rather than mileage,while the electric choke carbs are calibrated for maxium fuel economy.
Lack of knowledge ?

What's "Fo's?"

And he was given sound advice by 4 or 5 people,Ede 600.
Why ask for advice,get sound advice,and then tell them there wrong ?
fos = full of s**t.

I agree,the bottom line is any carb needs to be tuned.

No where in any post did I say anyone was wrong. Yes I asked for advice I can go either way gas mileage or performance,I got a lot of good opinions. So I guess you read more in each post than what was really there.

Johnny Dart;1241978 Not true. Look up the differences in Edelbrock manual and electric choke carbs. The manual choke carbs are calibrated for performance rather than mileage said:
Your wrong in the way the that the 1405 is simply jetted richer while the 1406 is jetted lean for a chevy.

That is a mixture diff and wether it gives more performance or not is based on the engine a/f requirements.

They still flow the same.

Your wrong in the way the that the 1405 is simply jetted richer while the 1406 is jetted lean for a chevy.

That is a mixture diff and wether it gives more performance or not is based on the engine a/f requirements.

Welcome BallzDeep. But I have no trouble in tuning. The first 600 Eddy I got was new and returned it was a bad unit. The Holley I have now I bought used and it is tuned, but drinks gas like I drink ice tea which is a lot and is starting to wear out.

I seen the Holley TQ and wanted to know if it is any good and that was answered. So I most likely will go the 1403 Eddy 500 CFM for my DD for fuel economy. My 65 has a /6 but it will be my toy so it will get a engine swap most likely a 1406 Eddy 600 or bigger.

Chevy ? What ?

All I stated was a 1405 is calibrated for performance,1406 is calibrated for maximum fuel economy. That is a fact. Pick up a book and :study:

Welcome BallzDeep. But I have no trouble in tuning. The first 600 Eddy I got was new and returned it was a bad unit. The Holley I have now I bought used and it is tuned, but drinks gas like I drink ice tea which is a lot and is starting to wear out.

I seen the Holley TQ and wanted to know if it is any good and that was answered. So I most likely will go the 1403 Eddy 500 CFM for my DD for fuel economy. My 65 has a /6 but it will be my toy so it will get a engine swap most likely a 1406 Eddy 600 or bigger.

If you stay in the primaries, it will get good mpg.
If you put your foot into the secondaries, it won't.

Do you have the vacuum advance hooked up and dialed in to the max runnable?

What are the timing specifications you set to?

I'm not an expert on any of this, but regarding "Holley Remanufactured" ThermQuads, Summit Racing has some of them for sale at,

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=Holley Remanufacured Carburetors Thermoquad&dds=1

This is what they mean by "Holley remanufactured carburetors":

"Holley remanufactured carburetors--which include other brands, such as Carter and Rochester--are rebuilt to the same high standards that Holley applies to its new carbs. Every one undergoes a very stringent remanufacturing process that virtually guarantees its performance will be equal to the factory product. All-new hoses, gaskets, diaphragms, fuel inlet valves, O-rings, and accelerator-pump components are used, and any reused components are thoroughly cleaned. After they're assembled, they receive numerous detailed quality and performance checks (including flow testing) before they're released to the market, to ensure reliability and longevity."

So apparently they are just rebuilt carburetors.

-
Back