carb issues

-

honcho

Reaction score
Trying to get my wife's 64 Dart road worthy for the upcoming shows. New spark plugs,valve job,points (set at .20) dist cap. Installed carb kit,idles great,but really no power and uses a hell of alot of gas. The carb has been vatted out 3 times.Went to town and back,around 25 miles and used 1/2 tank of gas!!!It will sometimes pour gas out the top and have to take top of carb off and drain carb. I am not too good at adjusting the floats,but that would probably be my next step. If I can't get this thing running right,can you buy rebuilt ones??? This is a Carter 1 barrel,it is so simple of a carb that I can't believe I can't get the thing to run good. Need some help and thanks Todd:violent1:

The float needs to be bent in order to get the proper fuel level. Here is the procedure. Install needle seat and floats into carb. invert carb and Let floats hang on the needle seat. apply pressure on fulcrum (hinge pin retainer) to keep seated and measure float from crown to edge of carb bowl wiith a straight edge. There should be .250" no more no less unless your carb sheet tells you otherwise. When float is set correctly (bent to adjust) the float lip should be perpendicular to the needle or less than 10 degrees off. That keeps your adjustment true when its floating in gas. Also check needle tip and make sure its still a smooth cone, not stepped. All adjustments should be made OFF the seat so you dont dick up the viton needle tip.

Hey Pishta,yea i will do. I even reinstalled original needle and seat cause the one that came with kit was about 1/16" longer than original. I would love to just buy a new one a be done with it

Dang, I got 2 Holley 1920's and a 273 BBD 2bbl but all the linkages are wrong for a 64 (got A/C?) . Good luck. The needle may be wrong but if you bend the floats up you can make it work.

No AC, **** this is a 64,yea so far as bending stuff,I hate it. To bend the floats up you have to bend the flap towards the front of the car,correct???

OOf, on a Carter..., not seeing it but the float is toward the front...they swing from the back...the floats need to be bent up to accomidate a longer needle. Put new needle in and gently raise the floats until you just feel the needle "seat" then do your measurement. Final measurement should be done inverted., If you bend them up, make sure you then bend the floats themselves so the bottoms are level with the full fuel level.

<<correction>>just saw a pic of the fuel inlet. So youll need to bend the tang back for a longer needle , your correct. Sorry bout that..

I hope you meant .020 on the points setting. Otherwise, I don't think the points would even close! If you have fuel leaking out of the carb, you have a float or valve problem. I'd get a new valve to start with and adjust the float level to the specs listed for your exact carb.

Slant six Dan sells ''New" not rebuilt ones if you don't want to get in to it. Give him a PM for info.

Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. "Remanufactured" carburetors are garbage.

Thanks for all the help. Gonna do what has been suggested and if she doesn't run good.Maybe slantsixDan will sell me a new one Todd

-
Back