Carb Question

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
The original carburator for my commando engine would be a Carter AFB-4295S. I was thinking about looking for an original and rebuilding it but thinking it through it looks like
the better choice would be and equivelant Eddy 500-600 CFM carburator. I would be interested in any Eddy part numbers that would point me in the right direction. I would entertain buying a used Carter if I could steal one. I have a new-in-the-box Holly with tuning parts that I bought for the build but I dont think it will flow enough to suit my needs. It can join the 3 MC's sitting on the shelf:)
TIA to all----DR:coffee2:

If it were I, a 500avs model is what I would look at. Go to summitracing.com and enter Carb in the search box & go from there. Add a tuning kit.

What Holley is it you have?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-8007

The above carburator is what the Summit sales guy talked me into on the phone. I argued with him but he insisted that for my 273 it was the carb I wanted. I bought the chrysler throttle adaptor and secondary tuning springs and a couple other tuning parts with it. Now I wish I would have waited but this is what I have. Ironically, it is one of the most expensive carbs in that particulat Holley family.
:-( DR

Why not give the 390 a try before swapping to an Eddy? A 273 shoudn't need that much carb.

Why not give the 390 a try before swapping to an Eddy? A 273 shoudn't need that much carb.

Probably should, I'm bugged that they did not give me the jet size information for the primaries and secondaries. Just says it is set up for my engine-very generic. So I bought an air/fuel sensor so I can tune the engine. I expect commando+++ performance out of the motor build and everything I have read says these builds like 500-600 CFM properly tuned. If I put the Holley on, I know I will never take it off--------
DRO:)

390 didn't know they made carbs that small..i think its too small a 600 would be better..

What elevation are you at, there in Moses? 'Bout 1000ft?

The higher you go the smaller the carb will seem, and sooner or later vacuum secondaries will loose response. But if your compression ratio is set up for the higher elevation, it's less of an issue.And if I recall from another thread, your Scr was already up there,so;1000ft is of no concern.
They use 390s in circle track-dirt cars, right? Up to 350ish cubes. They go!

Here's my thinking;
You already own it... It won't be worth much less,with a few hours on it... It will be gangbusters-sharp off the line,and in the midrange.... It's only a few minutes, to swap it out...Hmmmmmmmmmm

BTW, did I mention that I love TQs? I put them on everything. The small one with the 1.375 primaries works great on my LC teener.

390 didn't know they made carbs that small..i think its too small a 600 would be better..

Engine build dependent as well as usage. We still don't know whats going on with the engine.

Ran a 390 holley on my stock 340 dart a long,long time ago. Ran great up to about 4000rpm. Then the fun was over. I think those were originally meant for hot 4 bangers.

I like this one. Holley 80457 that is 600 vac secondary and comes with electric choke. With vac secondaries, you cannot over-carb as it will only feed what the engine needs...

Not to mention that it's cheaper than the smaller one that the summit guy recommended.

http://www.manciniracing.com/homo41noflca.html

I like this one. Holley 80457 that is 600 vac secondary and comes with electric choke. With vac secondaries, you cannot over-carb as it will only feed what the engine needs...

Not to mention that it's cheaper than the smaller one that the summit guy recommended.

http://www.manciniracing.com/homo41noflca.html

Went back through all my invoices for the build. (that was effen scary!) Turns out I bought the carb at Jegs and I found the original invoice. Thought I would call them and see about a trade. They don't have the choices Summit does but thank you for the part number. I will see if Jegs has it and try to work a trade. I think you are right-not enough carb for me!
Cheers to all-DR:coffee2:

The original carburator for my commando engine would be a Carter AFB-4295S. I was thinking about looking for an original and rebuilding it but thinking it through it looks like
the better choice would be and equivelant Eddy 500-600 CFM carburator. I would be interested in any Eddy part numbers that would point me in the right direction. I would entertain buying a used Carter if I could steal one. I have a new-in-the-box Holly with tuning parts that I bought for the build but I dont think it will flow enough to suit my needs. It can join the 3 MC's sitting on the shelf:)
TIA to all----DR:coffee2:
The holleys and Eddys wont fit the stock 4bbl intake without an adapter. If you are keeping stock 4bbl intake. And on my 273 dart the 4295s runs real good. I think just the right combination of torque and high end. Thats why Mopar used them.

The holleys and Eddys wont fit the stock 4bbl intake without an adapter. If you are keeping stock 4bbl intake. And on my 273 dart the 4295s runs real good. I think just the right combination of torque and high end. Thats why Mopar used them.
Thanks Tim: I am using an LD4B so either will fit. I called Jegs to try to work a trade and they told me to foff. I think I will use the existing Holley on my Comet 289 and try something bigger on my Barracuda. I really like the looks of the 80457 and already have the Holly setup stuff but if I get a shot at a carter, who knows??????
Happy Thanksgiving allO:)

If I was going to buy something new, the smaller Street Demon would be what I would be looking at.

-
Back