Carb Spacer? Edelbrock w/ 318

-

65Valiant310

Reaction score
Ive got an edelbrock 1406 4-barrel on my 318, and am thinking of installing a carb spacer or heat shield.

Anyone done this with the same setup?
I have minimal hood clearance so im kinda worried about that though

yea, the 340 car i just bought has a 750 d.p on it, and it looks to be like a 3 or 4 inch spacer on it. the hood shuts fine the a cheap moroso air cleaner on it.
but i wondered what is the point of this spacer?

I'm not sure which car this is in, so I can't really compare it to my experience. A quick and dirty method may be to place a ring of thin cardboard (cereal box, etc) of the target height on top of the air cleaner. Then gently close the hood, open and check for crushed cardboard. Lumps of modeling clay are good for this stuff too, but almost everybody can source a cereal box without leaving the house.

The set up I used on my daily driver for years and years and years was 1/2" phenolic carburetor spacer (composite wood like spacer) Eddy carb, 1" Eddy black plastic spacer on the top of the carb and a drop base aircleaner. The extra 1 1/2" taken up by the 2 spacers was canceled out by the drop base aircleaner. You need the 1" black spacer on top of the carb for the air cleaner base to clear your linkage.
It worked great, took care of any heat/fuel issues and acted like a mild high rise intake.

I have a 1/2 phenolic spacer on my 340 Dart with an E-brock 650 and a stock aircleaner and intake. Works well.

-
Back