Carburetor size Question

-
I had used a 500 cfm on a 318 cop car motor with 360 heads and a mp 340 cam in the mid 90's, only thing i did to it was change the cam and that thing was alot of fun. So I then went to a 625- carter- made it more fun. Then I went to hell with it and put a 750 manual choke afb- that carb made a big difference right out of the box. So it depends on what you want to do. i know they say too much carb blah blah blah, but i have found some engines like a larger carb when it should not call for it. And i have found engines that perform better with a smaller carb. Based on what you have i would try a 750 avs/ afb or a Holley equivalent.

Yeah, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. He straightened his mistake out, and you kept busting his balls?
Get a life.

Yeah, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. He straightened his mistake out, and you kept busting his balls?
Get a life.
I have only one side of the bed to up on.....he post the wrong part number for pistons....I post that they are the wrong ones.....so I am the asshole for pointing that out...LOL...So next time I will say go for it...order them...LOL
I only commented on the information that was posted......

Get a life.....that is funny......how about post the right ****...LOL.....so someone points out something is wrong....they are the asshole...FO

Get a life.

We have angered one of the FABO Gods. May we repent and grovel for mercy.

@70aarcuda Please forgive me for I have got one digit wrong. The information “bouncing between my ears” has failed me. May 107’s be replaced by 167’s for the rest of my days. Please forgive me, I am not worthy of your advice.

I aint no FABO God.......I just corrected your wrong information....and you dont like the fact I pointed out that you can not run those pistons and a 3.31 stroke crank....You get over it...
People answer your post with correction...and you get all bend out of shape...Next time I will just say....great combo...those kb107 will fit that 318...with the 3.31 crank.....Go for it....

And you wonder why alot of people quit trying to help......

I see a picture of alloy heads; are those going on?
At 9.75 Scr?

If yes, then the 224 cam well do well, altho the next smaller cam will make more pressure and thus more low-rpm power.
The 224 will powerpeak up around 5000 with headers, which with 3.23s and say 225/75-15s is about 46 mph in First gear. If the power march starts at 3000, with no tirespin, that would be 28 mph .....
jus saying

Last edited:
I pointed out that you can not run those pistons and a 3.31 stroke crank....You get over it...

People answer your post with correction...and you get all bend out of shape...Next time I will just say....great combo...those kb107 will fit that 318...with the 3.31 crank.....Go for it....

Well, the KB167's are already installed. Wasn't asking about which pistons to use. I just accidentally typed 107 instead of what is already installed, KB167. Seems like you didn't actually comprehend the post and focused on one piece of information that happened to be a mis-type.
And Buddy, I didn't get bent out of shape. I just commented on you being grumpy like someone pissed in your Wheaties. I think it's kinda funny actually. Calm down fella.

I see a picture of alloy heads; are those going on?
At 9.75 Scr?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, those are the Speedmaster heads. The builder has blended the bowls and done some other work. I asked today to remind me of the CR. I thought he had said 9.5:1 before but he said it will come in closer to 9.75.

I was planning on running a 275 or 255/60-15, 28" and 27.1 respectively.

My drives in this truck are going to be in mountainous terrain/ canyons, rolling hills, and a fair amount of interstate. I live out in the sticks and I can drive 15 minutes to get to the interstate (70-75 mph or 112-120 kph) or go the scenic route to the big city which is avg. about 45-55 mph (72-88 kph). It's 45 minutes interstate or about an hour taking the scenic route to get to the city if I'm hauling ***.

I'm looking for performance in that type of driving rather than from a stop.

Would you recommend going with a 3.55 gear with that tall of a tire? I leaning toward those tire choices because I have 15x8's and I want to fill the wheel well as much as I can on the truck.

Looking at Spicer Engine RPM Calculator
it looks like I might want to go witht the 3.55.

Last edited:
I have 255/60/15's on my Dart with 3:55's, rpm at 55mph is 2500. If you are driving that far, I would go 3:23, maybe 2:76, but that's just me. It doesn't sound to me like you want drag strip fast. She's gonna go through gas if you run her hard.

IMO, I would go with the smaller tire and one cam size down. Drop 8*’s on the cam with a stock converter.
Or up the converters stall and stick with your cam and still run the 27 inch tire with the 3.55’s.

AJ & I both run cams @ 224@050.
I run a 26” tire w/3.55’s. The engine is a .030 over 360.
The converter is a few hundred above stock. That would be relatively tight.

Keep on the tune, carb and distributor.

EDIT — Sorry, I wasn’t thinking truck. I was thinking A body.

Last edited:
I have 255/60/15's on my Dart with 3:55's, rpm at 55mph is 2500. If you are driving that far, I would go 3:23, maybe 2:76, but that's just me. It doesn't sound to me like you want drag strip fast. She's gonna go through gas if you run her hard.

With 3.23’s and a 255 tire it would be 2270 rpm @ 55 mph. A 275 tire would be 2189 rpm @ 55 mph.

A 3.55 rear and 275’s would be 2400 rpm @ 55 mph. As you stated, 3.55’s and a 255 would be 2500 @ 55 mph.

The MPG choice would be a 2.76:1 with the 275 tire putting it at 1870 rpm @ 55 mph.

Leaning toward a 275/60-15 with 3.23’s.

The only reason I suggested those was because it sounds like you have to do alot of hiway driving.
The 275's and the 3:23's might work for you, it won't be a speed demon, but at least you can get out on the hiway.
Good Luck!

A 275 tire (w/3.23’s) would be 2189 rpm @ 55 mph.
Leaning toward a 275/60-15 with 3.23’s.
This above is correct?
But do you travel this speed as a norm?
Do you travel the interstate?
What is the normal interstate speed and at what rpm would that be for this combo?
What would it be for 70/75 mph?

I’m curious. So far, for the elevated speeds, I’m mentally guesstimating the rpm may fall into the cams sweet spot where it is really more efficient.

Thanks

917EA5BE-4AA7-4125-8F51-70691807C9D3.png
DF3528ED-AAB2-469C-8A49-475CD45C80DE.png
2FAC9951-A415-4DA2-824C-E75EE60D1BF0.png
893296D2-6A37-40C9-872D-E0F0FEF1EB7A.png
This above is correct?
But do you travel this speed as a norm?
Do you travel the interstate?
What is the normal interstate speed and at what rpm would that be for this combo?
What would it be for 70/75 mph?

I’m curious. So far, for the elevated speeds, I’m mentally guesstimating the rpm may fall into the cams sweet spot where it is really more efficient.

Thanks

Good point. For me, I probably need to gear for the interstate speeds with this particular vehicle. If you aren’t going at least 70 mph in Southern California you’ll get ran over.

In a BFG Radial T/A the 255/60-15 is 27.1” and the 275 is 28”

For you and A/J @ 75 mph it would be 3500 but driving a more conservative 65 you would be at 3000 rpm.

One thing to keep in mind is that a D100 is about as aerodynamic as an open umbrella in a hurricane.

Last edited:
Just don't go 75. I ran my 65 with 4.30s and 28 11.50 ET Streets for over three years on the street....and interstate everyday. 55 it was around 2700-2800. It wasn't even breathin hard. With 3.55s at 55, it'll be a cakewalk. It never bothered me to go 55.

@go-fish I made a edit to my post stating my thinking was a mistake. I wasn’t thinking truck but car…

But yea! I was concerned with interstate driving speeds. To small of a tire and the limitation of a 1:1 final drive ratio can leave the car (or truck LOL) hummmming a little high.

If you had it in your wallet, I’d suggest a OD in the future. This would help make the vehicle more flexable on the get up and go with the low gear and EZ revs on the Hwy. Yup! I know, EZ’er said than done while I’m internet cash spending your money.

@go-fish

If you had it in your wallet, I’d suggest a OD in the future. This would help make the vehicle more flexable on the get up and go with the low gear …
Gear Vendors is about 45 minutes away from me. Drive right past them when I go to San Diego.
I have called them about return units or seconds/ blems but they said they don’t have anything like that so buying a new unit is what I would have to do.

Gear Vendors is about 45 minutes away from me. Drive right past them when I go to San Diego.
I have called them about return units or seconds/ blems but they said they don’t have anything like that so buying a new unit is what I would have to do.

Holy crappola Batman. A GM 200 and adapter kit would be cheaper I believe.

Just get an A500 or A518. As close to a bolt in as u can get. Any wrecking yards near u? Kim

Just get an A500 or A518. As close to a bolt in as u can get. Any wrecking yards near u? Kim

Oh, yes! Big one down by the border. I might just try to secure one Kim. Thanks for throwing that out there.

That’s the one thing I would never ever do is a GV-OD. Way to expensive. The OE units will work fine. Before I go to a GV, I’ll spend on something else. IDGA CRUD how’s trans it is.

Getting back to the carb. The 500 AVS with the better breathing heads, bigger cam & dual plane intake will work well & give great response & economy. But if you wanted to get a little more hp from the new parts, the 650 AVS2 would be better. Economy & throttle response would still be great because the '2' version has annular primary boosters.

Getting back to the carb. The 500 AVS with the better breathing heads, bigger cam & dual plane intake will work well & give great response & economy. But if you wanted to get a little more hp from the new parts, the 650 AVS2 would be better. Economy & throttle response would still be great because the '2' version has annular primary boosters.

Yeah, got a little off track there but it brought up some good things to think about.

The truck had a Carter AFB 9605 600 cfm on it. I had heard about the tunability and crisp throttle response of the Edelbrock AVS2 so I bought one and was pleased with it on the 318. Took a bit to tune it (my inexperience) but it did live up to the reputation as having really responsive throttle inputs. Given that experience I would be inclined to go with another in 650 cfm form.

I will definitely hang on to the 500 cfm one I have and break the engine in with that. It's good to hear other options. Thanks for the input, guys.

-
Back