Career choices and best way to start myself off

-
I was thrown out of HS at 16..by the time I was 23, I was a full blown automotive journalist.. And since that time, I have had many trips to the wishing well that paid my bills and kept me from ever having to rely on a job.
Here is the voice of experience:
Have BALLS
Always shoot beyond your means
Never allow yourself to become content
Have BALLS
Learn to embrace failure
Always state your goals, loud and proud
BALLS BALLS BALLS
If the crowd runs one way, you walk the other
KNOW that you are better than the next guy
Never lift, never surrender, but allow yourself to regroup when options are exhausted.
HAVE A GIANT SET OF ******* BALLS AND STRUT THEM LIKE THE KING OF THE JUNGLE YOU ARE!
Then...take all that and balance it by always remaining humble and honest both with yourself and those you interact with.
Always recognize and acknowledge beauty
Practice kindness every step of the way.
...good luck

The USA is full of educated idiots that went to college for business or liberal arts so they can sit behind a desk. Many of these are outsourced by overseas whitecollar workers that do it cheaper. I spent my career in mining and equipment maintenance. Those mechanics, electricians, welders get their hands dirty and work in harsh conditions; but those jobs have to be done on site by trained technicians. Heavy equipment mechanics are in high demand. Many equipment dealers pay kids to go to diesel mech tech college and promise them jobs after graduation. If you want to stay on automotive side, get some tech training so you understand the electronics and fuel injection basics.

Sounds like a dying industry, but telecom pays and is easy clean work. Skip buried service (ditch diggers) and construction (cable haulers) go for fiber splicer, Installation and Repair, or cable maintenance. Fiber splicing has aerospace openings too as fiber weighs allot less than copper, but aerospace is up and down after your project ends. All these are very hands on and have excellent union benefits/wages. My mechanic buddy works for the post office in fleet maintenance and showed up to my wedding with grease under his nails, I've never seen his hands clean! And I will always be the first one to tell you the military is a great place to start...in anything. You want a job for life? USAF/USN AWACS crewman. Do 20 and your done, do 30 and your done with like 80% of your last wage for life.

Lately I've been thinking alot about how I want the rest of my life to go or where I truly want to end up. Being 19 going on 20 this july 26th I believe in my opinion now is the time to make real ground on answering my thoughts. Right now I've just started working at les schwab after leaving a car dealership as a Lube,Inspection,Pre delivery vehicle service tech due to issues with their ethics. I don't mind les schwab as they have decent pay rates and great benefits however I don't feel it's the right fit for me and I want to expand my knowledge and skills far past what I can there. I don't have a college background at the moment just a few years experience in workforce and having taken 3 years Autoshop and Metals class in high school of which were advanced and were held to high standards having stuff such as tig welders, stick and mig and also a cnc program, 3d printer the auto shop having over a dozen different complete engines, transmissions, axles and all that were disassembled and rebuilt. I also took a class of collision repair at a different school which i went to half way through the day.

In my mind my goals ultimately are to be like the big dogs and experience all the automotive industry has to offer like the guys on the tv shows (Jeff lutz, David freiburger, etc the real enthusiasts). It may sound cliche to want to do such things but 99% of the people say it but never show the true desire to go out and accomplish. I have the desire I just don't know how to start. This site has alot of people from many different backgrounds that have been through the ropes and know what it takes and I want to know what you people have done to be successful. Let me know your experiences and maybe some knowledge you wish you would've had at my age to help out a millenial that actually wants to do something with their life vs the 99% that bury their heads in the sand and ask for a $15 minimum wage so they can work at mcdonalds for the rest of their lives.

The most important thing is to have a good work ethic and a positive attitude. Show up to work early every day. If you can't find something to do, grab a broom, empty the trash, clean the bathroom. Employers will notice those things. It takes years (and they will fly by faster than you will believe, especially if you have kids) but you will work your way up in a business. Always be learning.

I farted in a full elevator the other day... :eek:

It was wrong on so many levels... :D

When you do that, you have to find the best looking chick on the elevator, and give her a disgusted look and make sure everyone knows. It goes down from there.
:mob:

People will tell you that the world is your oyster, there's a lot of good times ahead, perseverance pays off.......I'm here to tell you the truth. The world is out to screw you, people will stab you in the back for a hundred bucks, big business will rip you off and there are times when you can't even trust your family.

It's dog eat dog out there, pal. The best you can do is play your cards wisely and hope for the best.

BTW, don't bother with prayer.....at the end of all this you'll be worm food. :).

EDIT: Just noticed you're from Spokane. I'm not normally an E body guy, but here....you should look at this: 1971 Dodge Challenger

My advice is don't pigeon hole yourself into one career path in case you change your mind later on that it's not for you.

Quit now while you are ahead....

I started out with nothing and I have most of it left....

Quit now while you are ahead....

I started out with nothing and I have most of it left....
Pfft! Karl! I've been doing so much with so little for so long that now I can do almost anything with practically nothing!

-
Back