carpet replacement source

-
Well I guess I'm the only one so far who's actually purchased a StockInteriors.com carpet set. I've praised them before and I'll do it again here. The quality is decent, the customer service was outstanding, shipping was completed in 3 days, the price was great and they sent free samples of several grades in advance.

For some reason I can't get pics to upload tonight so you'll have to use your imagination. :-D

Let me get this straight......did Leanna just tell you to use your imagination on what her carpet looks like?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry, I could not resist Leanna .

anyhow, I use Year ones carpet kit, it was cheap and shipped out fast.

it was not a "perfect" fit but it was premolded....as leanna had mentioned...a little work with a heat gun and some persuasion and the fit is overall pretty nice!

as with any carpet kit, you are looking at doing some trimming but its not to serious of a job so don't let it scare you away.

I am trying to remember the name of the company that supplies year ones carpets but I am having trouble remembering off hand. ( I want to say it was from ACC)

I did get full throttle back. Like Flyboy said- I had to pull the carpet back from under the accelerator pedal and cut the jute away but not a big deal as I did not use any adhesive for carpet. The mold/form was dead on and fit like a glove. Like everyone has said- just some cuts along sides- but the fit was dead on. The mass backing seemed to give the carpet a better fit/shape and it holds the contours. Carpet doesnt move a bit when you sit your feet on it.

In regards to the asphalt vs butyl material... I did have some concerns as well after reading some posts, but I can attest that I left my car open/convertible top down in the hot Florida sun and I didnt smell anything! And Im a huge smell freak!
I finally got tired of reading all the debate along with all the alternatives and went to Home Depot and Lowes and bought (I think 4 rolls) of the Peel and Seal at $14 a pop ($2 cheaper @ Lowes- same stuff). Comes in 6" x 25' and easy to install. And trust me... once this is down, it will come up but you better manup. I did it in the sun on a hot day and it layed down real nice- didnt even use a roller, just the handles of a few tools. Link for item below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-8132...+seal&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=peel+seal

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...og.beans.EndecaDataBean@69a15904&ddkey=Search

When I decided I would take on my first project back in November I will be honest, I was excited and scared. I have limited mechanical abilities, have never pulled an engine out of a car before. I have jumped around like a lunatic onthe direction this would take at least a dozen times. I can see the finished product plain as day in my mind. Since I hahave found this site I haave gained enough knowledge to strip my car down to a shell and build it back up the way I want it. As soon as I figure out how to get the pic's off of my phone I will start adding them. I even found a thread that has made me decide to 4 link my car, lost the thread, but learned enough to help me make the decision.

Thank you to FABOand all of it's members for welcoming a newbie and providing a wealth of information to help along this project.

Well, I have removed the asphalt mat from my car and man am I glad I did! The whole drivers side of the floor pan is covered in surface rust. Not that it's exciting but I am glad I decided to listen to your advice. would have sucked to cover it all up and end up with my foot going through the floor later! Now, I need to find a good product to remove and seal up my floor pans. Any ideas?

Im sure you will get alot of varied advice on this subject... and I guess POR15 is the most recommended. BUT- it is expensive. I asked a few oldschool body guys when I was at the same point as you, and they said "go to Ace Hardware and get a bottle of OSPHO for $12... put in a sprayer and follow the directions". Ospho did a great job- I then used Rust-Oleum Clean Metal anti-corrosive primer/paint to finish the job. I have read all the literature on POR15 and it looks like great stuff- but for the surface rust I had... this stuff did the job. I did have a couple minor areas that had pins holes that I grinded, and used Duraglass to repair, but also very easy to use.
Good luck...

OSPHO link: http://www.ospho.com/ open/read the directions for use header

I was looking into POR 15 and it is expensive, and I get the impression from other's that is is incredibly hard to work with. I used the link you you provided and it seems more my speed. I got an A ce by where the Dart isand I'll stop byand see if they carry it and can provide any hands on info. Thank you for the tip.

Oh yeah, is the end result somewhat like Naval Jelly?

Why use the Peel and stick?? What is its purpose??

I did get full throttle back. Like Flyboy said- I had to pull the carpet back from under the accelerator pedal and cut the jute away but not a big deal as I did not use any adhesive for carpet. The mold/form was dead on and fit like a glove. Like everyone has said- just some cuts along sides- but the fit was dead on. The mass backing seemed to give the carpet a better fit/shape and it holds the contours. Carpet doesnt move a bit when you sit your feet on it.

In regards to the asphalt vs butyl material... I did have some concerns as well after reading some posts, but I can attest that I left my car open/convertible top down in the hot Florida sun and I didnt smell anything! And Im a huge smell freak!
I finally got tired of reading all the debate along with all the alternatives and went to Home Depot and Lowes and bought (I think 4 rolls) of the Peel and Seal at $14 a pop ($2 cheaper @ Lowes- same stuff). Comes in 6" x 25' and easy to install. And trust me... once this is down, it will come up but you better manup. I did it in the sun on a hot day and it layed down real nice- didnt even use a roller, just the handles of a few tools. Link for item below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-8132...+seal&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=peel+seal

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...og.beans.EndecaDataBean@69a15904&ddkey=Search

Sound deadener/heat barrier similar to DynaMat, HushMat etc

Yea- the Ospho neutralizes the rust... per website:
RUSTED METALS - OSPHO is a rust-inhibiting coating - NOT A PAINT You do not have to remove tight rust. Merely remove loose paint and rust scale, dirt, oil, grease and other accumulations with a wire brush - apply a coat of OSPHO as it comes in the container - let dry overnight, then apply whatever paint system you desire. When applied to rusted surfaces, OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black. Where rust is exceedingly heavy, two coats of OSPHO may be necessary to thoroughly penetrate and blacken the surface to be painted. A dry, powdery, grayish-white surface usually develops; this is normal - brush off any loose powder before paint application.

WOW! I have called 10 of the 47 Ace stores in the area and the DC and none carry this product. Looking for the next supplier, POR 15 will be the next alternative if I can't find the Ospho. I can not buy it by the case, certainly don't need that much.

Try different hardware stores... somebody should have it. Read where some paint stores carry it.

According to their website...

"Smaller Quantities can be found at some: ACE Hardware Stores, True Value Hardware, Do-It-Best Hardware, Handy Hardware, Orgill, Inc., Sherwin Williams, Duron Paints & Wall Coverings, Lancaster"

Have you looked at KBS coatings?
http://www.kbs-coatings.com/

When i was fixing up my duster's trunk floor i needed something like POR 15 but didn't want to spend the $$ for it. I ended up finding this company, and ordered a quart of Rust Seal and a quart of Rust Blaster. I really liked the Rust Seal, it has a nice self leveling characteristic so you dont end up with brush strokes, seems to be tough as nails, and doesn't cost much. I've also used POR 15 and RustBullet on my Satellite and in my opinion its just as good as the POR 15 and better then RustBullet. It also covers quite a bit, i got 2 coats on the entire floor, spare tire well, back of the tail light panel, and insides of the quarter panels and still have about a half pint left. I do still prefer Ospho over the Rust Blaster, but couldn't really tell ya why, maybe just because im so used to using Ospho that a new product seems strange...

I'll have to check them out, I spent 3 hours this morning looking around for Ospho, gave up, figured I could do it by hand, not too big of an area,I'll just get some really good primer once I get it all removed, yea, wholly crap! I am no longer in my 20's, that is hard on the knees, could barely get my *$# out of the car! I think I'll look around some more before I need a 911 call and a huge bill!

I just purchased a carpet from Dave Walden at ECS for my Dart. It promises to be the best carpet available, and comes shipped as molded, not rolled up. Not cheap (379 shipped). I'll keep everyone posted. If anyone wants dibs on a decent black, 2dr auto console carpet let me know.

Sorry could not post pic's right and can not figure out how to delete the post

I just purchased a carpet from Dave Walden at ECS for my Dart. It promises to be the best carpet available, and comes shipped as molded, not rolled up. Not cheap (379 shipped). I'll keep everyone posted. If anyone wants dibs on a decent black, 2dr auto console carpet let me know.

a friend used that in his challenger. nice stuff but pricey as hell...

I know. I used an E body one at work and loved it. I'll post pics when it arrives. Have you signed up for Run To The Shore Event? Right in your backyard. I'd love to the RMS stuff in action!

0119111244.jpg

This is what I found under the carpet!

donjholt

I used Permatex Rust remover. Will post up some pic's of the after's this evening.

Whats stopping you?

Time,money and not too into the track type of thing. If I tried it I may get hooked but not doing it I just don't have the desire. My **** is set up more as a fun street family car then a track on right now any. Trunk full of strollers and diapers. Lol

After I applied the Permatex and let sit for 30 minutes, I washed the floor pan down with soap and water as directed and used a wet vac to get up as much of the moisture as i could.When the pan dried completely, I sanded down the parts that I did not get as good of an outcome as I would have, repeated the process and I am applying the peel and seal on Tuesday. I decided to go ahead with the Peel and Seal due to the amount of heat generated by my boss' 48 Dodge panel. It was almost too hot to handle even w a/c in 70 deg outside! He is not happy with his and I do not want to be miserable driving a car I put this much into.

I have not decided on a supplier for the carpet as of today.

Thank you for asking. I forgot to get pic's will post them on Tuesday of the progress.

Been Sick for the last 2 weeks, have not even looked at the Dart! However, motivation arrived in the form of my seats yesterday. Now my mind is going a whole lot faster than me trying to get this pulled together.
NewSeats.jpg

They turned out just as I pictured in my head, what do you think?

-
Back