Carter AFB float setting?

-

Fishthatkills

Fish that kills
Reaction score
Just finished my four barrel conversion. had trouble with no spark, I think thats cured (see post in ignition section). Now battery needs charging. I smell alot of gas (flooded) and think the floats are not adjusted right? Where on the float do you take the measurement, the instructions are not really clear! From the the gasket to the top (bottom when upside down) of the float but it does not say where (forward, middle or rear) of the float?

John B.

Just finished my four barrel conversion. had trouble with no spark, I think thats cured (see post in ignition section). Now battery needs charging. I smell alot of gas (flooded) and think the floats are not adjusted right? Where on the float do you take the measurement, the instructions are not really clear! From the the gasket to the top (bottom when upside down) of the float but it does not say where (forward, middle or rear) of the float?

John B.

Attachments

• CarterFloatSetting.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,586
With it turned upside down I just set the float parallel with the casting.
Please note; Last rebuild kit I bought for a AFB wasn't quite right. The new needles were the same as originals but the seats were about an eighth inch taller. Some creative bending on the float tangs and a slight mod to the slosh baffle in the bowl was required to get it right.

Thanks man, I got her fired up and now just need to set timing and idle. Here is a picture of Wanda's new lungs!!!!

John B.

Attachments

• Wanda's new Lungs.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,292
WOW!!...Looking good!!!

2 small things...Are you not running any vacuum advance?

...and...

Please ditch the plastic fuel filter...With the heat cycles under the hood, I've seen'em blow up and shower the engine with raw gas...not a pretty site. Get a metal one.

ditch the plastic fuel filter.... Get a metal one.

I agree and you might consider "doing something" with the big center vacuum cap. I've seen two things happen to 'em

1 All you have to do is backfire it once on a cold day, and the thing will blow off of there, now you have a big hole

2 I've seen at least one of 'em "cut" a circle of rubber out of the center and suck it down the intake!!

One easy way is to pick a couple of days when you won't be driving the car. Pull the plug, clean it real good, and inject a nice big blob of silicone down the center port, stick the cap back on and put a hose clamp on it.

with the top off the carb an the gasket on the top the float setting is 7/16 i use a drill bit .. thats from the end of the float but bit is completely under float with very slight drag when removing . top of carb level an up side down

I plugged the vac advance to set timing, and yes I do run vac advance on the dizzy. Second I checed the float setting last night and it seems fine, fuel in the bowls was about half full or so. So I am getting fuel and all. Will adjust timing and idle later today, I have honey do's to get done before I can play with my "Girl friend"

Thanks for all the support, this site does ROCK!

John B.

-
Back