Carter AVS secondary spring adjustment

-

konrad

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am trying to figure out how to adjust the secondary throttle blade spring without having to remove the two brass screws and blade. I can't find anything about the Carter AVS on how to adjust it, but I find a lot on the Edelbrock AVS. The pictures look similar but they definitely don't work the same.

Am I missing some piece of hardware? Is there even an easy way to adjust this spring tension? I made the mistake of removing it to clean and now I can't figure out if I put it back on right.

Attached are pictures describing my confusion. I know the yellow arrow is pointing to the set screw that is used to loosen something (it's removed at the moment), the red arrow is pointing at the shaft that on all the other pictures I find online has a slot for a screw driver, and the green arrow is pointing at a piece with a hole in it where I think one end of the spring goes. The orange arrow on the different picture has the slot for a flat-blade screwdriver.

Can anyone help by sending pictures of what it's supposed to look like? Or tell me what I'm supposed to do to adjust the spring?

Thanks everyone for reading and helping me out.

konrad

Attachments

• drivers side of carb with arrows.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 283
  • Passenger side of carb.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 402
  • secondary blade and spring.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 272
you loosen screw yellow arrow and rotate the green arrow to tighten or loosen... according to my mopar upgrade book you start with a completely loose spring and rotate 2 full tightening rotations (clockwise), drive the car, does it bog? yes? tighten a quarter turn at a time until you drive it and it no longer bogs. does it not bog? loosen a quarter turn at a time then when it does finally bog turn it back the quarter turn and you should be good to go. Sorry just noticed you don't have the set screw meant to go in the yellow spot... That's what you are missing. The picture is a edelbrock thunder series so the spring turning mech is slightly different but same concept

Attachments

• image-1881114350.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 224
So, is the metal ring with the notch in it (the green arrow) supposed to move freely?

It looks like you are missing something, but yes that is what turns to put tension on the spring. I'm not sure if it changed over the years but here is a pic from my avs off a 68 340.

Attachments

• 20150130_163618 (Medium).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 192
I noticed that too after the fact. It does seem that something is missing there or you have something flipped around.

what was in post #2 was exactly what buddy martin said at the Sox and Martin super car clinic in 1968. that post is perfect. i would have had a hard time remembering it. he saved my brain some hard work.

-
Back