Carter Thermoquad

-

cidVicious

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I need a little help identifying a carburetor. A guy has a Holley Remanufactured Carburetor, #64-1202 for sale. From what I can tell, this was originally ieither a:

1.) Carter Thermoquad 4972/4973 used on 1971 Chrysler 340 vehicles
Or a
2.) Carter Thermoquad 6138/6139 used on 1972 Chrysler 340 vehicles

Can anyone tell me what exactly I should be looking for if I want the 72' 1639 (AT) model? What is the difference between these models?

Thanks in advance for any help,

You need to know:
a)the 4 digit part # stamped into the driver rear corner of the base,
b)the top casting #'s near the passenger rear vent stack.

For example, a 6138('72 340 4 spd carb) would have one of two top casting #'s:
6-2007 or 6-2080.

Also the primary butterflies have #s 2-310 or 2-315 for an oem 800 cfm or
2-314 for all oem 850 cfm carbs, David.

Well that's even better! You just made my day!! Thanks!! So again filling the 2 small holes at the front of the carb as in the picture from my other post will do the trick? Hey, I feel like I owe you for all this info! Why do you have to live so far! I would just get you to do it!! LOL..

Just seal each hole as pictured. Yea I wish I could access more Mopar people to be more helpful! I guess if I can help over the internet then something positive has been gained anyway.

Thanks so much for your help David.

I bought the carb. today and here's what I know,
a.) The 4 digit part # stamped into the driver rear corner of the base is #6139 (i.e. 72' 340 AT). That's good because I have a 1972 Duster (however, I'm dropping in a 74' 360/727 combo, not a 340).
b.) The top casting # near the passenger rear vent stack is #6-2007
c.) The primary butterflies have #2-310 for an oem 800 cfm. Not sure if this is going to be overkill for my stock 360 (it currently has a Holley 2245, 2bbl carb). Was thinking of going with an Edelbrock Performer 3776 intake with the TC. Any recommendations on the intake for a solid daily driver with mild street performance?

vbpicgallery.php

The carb will work fine as-is on a stock or mild 360. Also the top is correct and the carb is one of the best T.Q.'s ever produced by Carter, David.

Thanks so much for your help David.

I bought the carb. today and here's what I know,
a.) The 4 digit part # stamped into the driver rear corner of the base is #6139 (i.e. 72' 340 AT). That's good because I have a 1972 Duster (however, I'm dropping in a 74' 360/727 combo, not a 340).

c.) The primary butterflies have #2-310 for an oem 800 cfm. Not sure if this is going to be overkill for my stock 360 (it currently has a Holley 2245, 2bbl carb).

The primaries may at best need to be given new metering rods. To big is NOT the issue at all. Displacement is NOT the issue at all. The Primary size of the T-Q is close to the Holley 2bbl.

Was thinking of going with an Edelbrock Performer 3776 intake with the TC. Any recommendations on the intake for a solid daily driver with mild street performance?

If you don't have a 4bbl. intake, the Edelbrock Performer is a light weight "Replacement" intake that will perform well.

An OEM cast iron 4bbl. intake IMO, would be better or a Weiand Action Plus.
All the intakes can be had inexpensively used. The action plus does not have a choke well for the carb. The only cave eat!!!

Thanks Rumblefish,

That helps to boost my confidence on the Edelbrock intake. I've seen the 3776's used for less that $100 on Craigslist, but unless I can find a super clean one without any abuse, I'd probably spend the extra dime for a new one. Maybe I can find one on sale.

Why do you suggest the OEM cast iron intakes are better? What is better about them? Is it durability, fit, functionality, performance, cost?

Thanks,

Thanks Rumblefish,

That helps to boost my confidence on the Edelbrock intake. I've seen the 3776's used for less that $100 on Craigslist, but unless I can find a super clean one without any abuse, I'd probably spend the extra dime for a new one. Maybe I can find one on sale.

Why do you suggest the OEM cast iron intakes are better? What is better about them? Is it durability, fit, functionality, performance, cost?

Thanks,

Cause they flow like STINK and are tough to improve upon. The weight is their only disadvantage.

Stroker,
Are you saying the stock 4bbl intake flows like a sewer...and weighs about the same??

Cid, what stroker said. The OEM 4bbl. flows very well. The Performer doesn't best it. Only in the weight department.
Theres a pair of performers for sale in the parts section here now. (Clean up is cheap.)
The next step up over a cast iron in terms of performance WITH a T-Q would be a Action Plus or an adaprt on a RPM. Otherwise, a MP-M1 single plane is it, but that's moving away from what your at and going.

And yes, it flows like a big sewer pipe but does weigh more. LOL!

(OH, as per the PM, Wading river is about 25 minutes from me.)

Cid, what stroker said. The OEM 4bbl. flows very well. The Performer doesn't best it. Only in the weight department.
Theres a pair of performers for sale in the parts section here now. (Clean up is cheap.)
The next step up over a cast iron in terms of performance WITH a T-Q would be a Action Plus or an adaprt on a RPM. Otherwise, a MP-M1 single plane is it, but that's moving away from what your at and going.

And yes, it flows like a big sewer pipe but does weigh more. LOL!

(OH, as per the PM, Wading river is about 25 minutes from me.)
Just FYI The performer intake is good if you get the right one. Part#2176 is more for a 318,where #7176 is the good one more for a 340 good for up to 6500 rpm. Just my 2 cents..

Hum, thanks Craig, I'll have to go see what the difference is. I was under the impression that there was a EGR valve intake and a non egr intake.

What your saying here is theres a 340/360 Performaer intake?

I know that there is a 2176 that says good for 5500 RPM and a 7176 that's good for 6500 RPM. ? Let me know what you find out because my buddy wants one and there is 2 for sale on our site.He has told me the 7176 is the good one? Craig.

Hi Craig,

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, I'm just going by what the website says. But you may be out of luck. The best bet would be to give Edelbrock tech support a call and ask them directly. They may have a solution for your specific issue.

Good Luck,

(I'm messin with ya. Theres 2 performers and both have 318 port size windows)

The 7176 is the RPM. You'll require an adapter plate. This ad's height yo may not have, this I do not know. Otherwise, it wold ethier be the Performer or the Action Plus with the T-Q pad.

-
Back