Cash for clunkers, what a waste.

-
i saw on the news that the only thing scrap yards were allowed to salvage off these clunkers are the tires, battery, and the cat. the rest of the vehicle has to be crushed. So instead of a flood of used parts, we have to keep buying chinese parts for our few american vehicles we have left and keep flushing our economy down the toilet. all this for a momentary boost for our economy. Also for all the "green" people out there, building all these new cars creates a large amount of emissions, which pretty much wipes out any gain from better fuel milage. Who are the idiots that come up with this crap? What a shameful mess...

Let's spend money we don't have, to do something that is wasteful and ineffective, that will cause more problems. Watch TV. Repeat....

We better get used to socialiism, because it is on this administrations agenda. Call it what you want. We are losing our freedom everytime another bill is passed. Socialized medicine, cap and trade. If you ask me they like unemployment where it is or even higher, because it makes people more dependant on the government.
Next it will be new gun bans, tight regulations on ammo and they will soon be crushing our guns. Obama has already ordered the military to melt down their inventory of brass. This is why you can't find brass to reload. If you think this pisses you off because they are destroying these clunkers. Wait until they tell gun owners they have to hand over their ar-15s. Don't drink the koolaid.

Just heard one of the provisions in one of the many healthcare plans is for government to have unlimited access to you bank account. Put this together with all the "czars" who are unaccountable to anyone but the White House, the "snitch" program over the healthcare debate, and throw in a campaign statement that we "need" a citizens' police force answerable only to the White House (shades of the SS), bandy about the idea that lead should be banned and ammunition needs an 800% tax, mix in a DHS memo that got leaked that stated "right wing" groups (ie, those that don't have the same agenda as the White House) can be considered terrorists, and I'm starting to think that the Constitution is just a piece of paper and the Oath of Office is just hollow words to a certain sitting president. Anyone here ever read the "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?"

i,m drawing my line in the sand. anyone taking goverment cash isnt on my side of the line. I guess i will keep paying the bill for oppurtunists taking advantage of everything from welfare to government handouts . yawl make me sick. i dont want anything from the government but responsibility. So go ahead and brag about your stinking handouts.I dont share in your happiness.When the aftermarket marks parts up 50
% to cover their losses i hope it bites you.

If you research the program you will find out the following.
1. The engine can't be sold.
2. The transmission can't be sold.
3. The frame has to be crushed.

All other parts can and will be sold. In reality we all know that motor parts will survive and will be sold also since only the engine block has the VIN on it. I have a friend that owns a salvage business and he is loving it. $125.00 accross the board for the Cash For Clunkers vehicles. He will make a fortune on this one. 1 part sold and the vehicle is FREE. Also they will be a feeding freenzy for the rebuilders. Keep in mind that sheet metal fits newer trucks also. That Dodge pickup hood manufactured in 1994 fits a 2001 Dodge 1/2 ton and a 2002 Dodge 3/4 ton also. Salvage yards are going to have an inventory they have never had before because of this program.

Also don't be fooled by the matching dealer rebates, they would come off that anyway. That parts is just a leader not real money on the table.

All other parts can and will be sold. In reality we all know that motor parts will survive and will be sold also since only the engine block has the VIN on it. I have a friend that owns a salvage business and he is loving it. $125.00 accross the board for the Cash For Clunkers vehicles. He will make a fortune on this one. 1 part sold and the vehicle is FREE. Also they will be a feeding freenzy for the rebuilders. Keep in mind that sheet metal fits newer trucks also. That Dodge pickup hood manufactured in 1994 fits a 2001 Dodge 1/2 ton and a 2002 Dodge 3/4 ton also. Salvage yards are going to have an inventory they have never had before because of this program.

It still doesn't change the fact that I am paying my hard earned tax dollars for some jerkoff (who will turn up his nose to me at a stoplight in my mopar) privilage to drive a brand new car.

Don't get me wrong.

I am 100% against this whole deal.

Why should we pay for those new cars if we aren't driving them? I could have done it but I refuse.

I work out of state, almost 650 miles one way from my house. I have to drive it 2 times a month. I spend about $ 375/400 a month in fuel at the least. I guess I could move but i dont want to live in Loiusana. I will weigh out my options about the truck.

While the rest of the country is struggling economically, Louisiana has low unemployment and positive net population growth in the last two years. This is exactly opposite of most other states.

I have no problem with out of state workers driving into Louisiana and then returning to Oklahoma City or wherever they live. It helps our state tax coffers when you pay Louisiana taxes while working here. Unfortunately I have seen comments more than once on this site that I don't want to live in Louisiana." I have lived in many places in my lifetime. Some of them qualify as the armpit of the world. I have been to Oklahoma City. Somebody tell me what is so attractive about that town.

The correct spelling is LOUISIANA.

there are some really beautiful parts of la. the back way from coushatta to orange is a beautiful country cruise. i believe its old 90

My wife and I are keeping our 98 dodge conversion van because it's cheaper to keep it and feed it gas than to get a newer vehicle and pay for a car payment as well as feed it. Most of the newer vehicles don't get all that better mileage anyway unless we wanted to get a hybrid, and that won't get our family of 6 around town with groceries in the back! Either cars need to get much better mileage, or become all electric for us to think about getting something different.
Not to mention more insurance and a larger registration fee for a new vehicle that has a higher resale cost. Right now for us it doesn't make sense. It's the combined operating cost - gas, insurance, and registration combined with a new carpayment - that keeps us with our current vehicle.
That and Dodge doesn't make a van anymore...

Just heard one of the provisions in one of the many healthcare plans is for government to have unlimited access to you bank account. Put this together with all the "czars" who are unaccountable to anyone but the White House, the "snitch" program over the healthcare debate, and throw in a campaign statement that we "need" a citizens' police force answerable only to the White House (shades of the SS), bandy about the idea that lead should be banned and ammunition needs an 800% tax, mix in a DHS memo that got leaked that stated "right wing" groups (ie, those that don't have the same agenda as the White House) can be considered terrorists, and I'm starting to think that the Constitution is just a piece of paper and the Oath of Office is just hollow words to a certain sitting president. Anyone here ever read the "Rise and Fall of the Third Reich?"
You, sir, are a VERY smart, well informed individual!
Kudos on that post.

George

I'm no fan of the cash for clunkers but of all of the things that the Gov has done to and for cars it isn't really ALL bad. I would rather have some support for the clean gasoline powered cars being produced today than some of the big dollars that have already been wasted on electric and hybrid vehicles.

bullshit prove it

While the rest of the country is struggling economically, Louisiana has low unemployment and positive net population growth in the last two years. This is exactly opposite of most other states.

I have no problem with out of state workers driving into Louisiana and then returning to Oklahoma City or wherever they live. It helps our state tax coffers when you pay Louisiana taxes while working here. Unfortunately I have seen comments more than once on this site that I don't want to live in Louisiana." I have lived in many places in my lifetime. Some of them qualify as the armpit of the world. I have been to Oklahoma City. Somebody tell me what is so attractive about that town.

The correct spelling is LOUISIANA.

Thanks for pointing the correct spelling of your state. I guess I'm not the brightest person in the world. I was just in a hurry typing as I was in the thought of getting rid of my pickup. I'm only human. As far as me not wanting to move to your state, I have a house and a wife & three kids here in Oklahoma, They dont want to move to different house, school, friends, Jobs, hell I even have a grandaughter now and I sure as hell wont leave her behind when she is young as she is. Oh I dont work in your state, I work in the Gulf. If you think Oklahoma is an arm pit thats your view. I could care less what you think. Chris

Hey guys, Looks like I opened up a can of worms. Let's try to be a little more civil here OK? In my original post, I was expressing a little anger at a Magnum 318 getting destroyed with my tax dollars. I mean how cool would it be to drop that engine in a cool old Mopar with all the fuel injection & serpentine accessories, plus the OD trans. 14 sec. quarters & 25 mpg. but not now, it's a complete waste.

Yes it is a waste of good iron. Thanks for starting the thread. I guess I made me a new friend down in (Louisiana)

be nice to to have a new car but all of my cars are paid for and do not what a car payment

just because toyotas and such are built here the fact is the profit on these does not benefit the american treasury it goes to Japan. Those nice people who visited Pearl Harbor.

bullshit prove it

THIS SHOULD PROVE IT!

This is a copy and paste straight from cars.gov

Scrap value

What happens to the vehicle I trade in?

The CARS Act requires that the trade-in vehicle be crushed or shredded so that it will not be resold for use in the United States or elsewhere as an automobile. The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles in this manner will be allowed to sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train.

Read it for yourself at http://www.cars.gov/faq

Here is a list of where the cars are going. Read it for yourself at

http://www.cars.gov/files/ELVS_State/ELVS.pdf

bullshit prove it

State -IN​

135 Auto Parts​
2450 Sqr Boone Rd Sw​
Mauckport 47142IN​
00022​
252 Auto Parts & Towing​
4895 Sr 252​
Martinsville 46151IN​