Cash for clunkers, what a waste.

-
pretty much a retarded waste of money to temporarily boost auto sales and keep the banking industry flowing money. WASTE by Government of OUR money!

I really hate to admit it (or do It) but I am more than likely going to do the cash for clunkers thing on my super pick up. (I call it The Big Red Fuel Funnel) If I can get $4500 plus the dealer matching it for my 94 V-10 Ram 2500, I just might do it. The fuel milege is just killing me. About 11 mpg on the highway & the city ahw hell no! It has A 4.10 gear. I have to drive out of state for my job so I lose money with the truck. I need a new one anyways that gets desent milege. I havent exactly tried to sell it to any one, mainly because of the bad fuel milege it gets. I got alot of good miles out of it when fuel was cheap & anyway I got a smoking deal on it when I bought it in 2000. I paid only $3500.00 for it w/ a complete running spare V/10 engine whitch is just setting in my barn still. I guess the reason I got it so cheap is because of the fuel milege. It has 251,000 miles on it now and I've never had any kind of problem with it. I'd hate to see somebody lock the engine up in it though. I love the truck, But I got to do somthing.

Chris 022.jpg

I really hate to admit it (or do It) but I am more than likely going to do the cash for clunkers thing on my super pick up. (I call it The Big Red Fuel Funnel) If I can get $4500 plus the dealer matching it for my 94 V-10 Ram 2500, I just might do it. The fuel milege is just killing me. About 11 mpg on the highway & the city ahw hell no! It has A 4.10 gear. I have to drive out of state for my job so I lose money with the truck. I need a new one anyways that gets desent milege. I havent exactly tried to sell it to any one, mainly because of the bad fuel milege it gets. I got alot of good miles out of it when fuel was cheap & anyway I got a smoking deal on it when I bought it in 2000. I paid only $3500.00 for it w/ a complete running spare V/10 engine whitch is just setting in my barn still. I guess the reason I got it so cheap is because of the fuel milege. It has 251,000 miles on it now and I've never had any kind of problem with it. I'd hate to see somebody lock the engine up in it though. I love the truck, But I got to do somthing.
Nice looking truck. I would yank that V-10 and put a small block in it. I wouldn't do trade it out for clunkers deal. I know some people would love to have the truck just for the body parts since your's look real nice and rust free.

It's already biting everyone in the a**. Government giveaway? No such thing as a free lunch. Even those who haven't taken part in it are paying for it. $3B invested with 54% going into foreign manufactured, the Chinese are scrambling to buy the scrap metal and the American people are going into further debt over it... Home foreclosures are through the roof, peoples credit ratings are in the basement. How are these cars being put on the road? Anyone guessing that the dealerships and the banks are tweaking loans to boost sales? I betting that this time next year the big story in the news will be car repossessions...

NO!!!!!!
That is a cool truck and it looks very nice.
Think about it, in another ten years, when we are nostalgic for that era trucks, how cool would it be to find that one? It would be awesome.
I know, it's not worth anywhere near the $9k the government is making us buy it from you for, but still... Come on, look at that thing.

As far as that video goes, I've seen more than one on Youtube showing that craziness. Smoke everywhere, oil on the ground. I hope the government is watching. The first time one of those catches on fire or blows up and kills someone, it should be clear who is responsible. How many billions are we going to spend to clean up the mess after we scrap 750 million cars?

Yeah gts340, I do love my truck. To tell the truth it has been the most dependable vehical I have ever owned. I hate to even think of what would happen to it if i did the cash for cluncker thing. But I'm at a delima right now. I havent seen another one like it ever, at least not with a V-10 & the ground effects on it. Do you work at a dealership?

I work in the Auto Industry, and i cant understand something.

Would people really rather have a $300-400 a month car payment, than pay $150-$200 or so a month in gas?

Not me. My Explorer is paid for. 4.0 SOHC. Gets say 15 mpg, 21 gallon tank, about $45-50 to fill it up, maybe 2 times a month.

So, $150-200 a month in gas, depending how much we drive. My wife works 10 miles from home.

Are people doing the math on this. Would they really rather have a car payment and a depreciated car the minute they drive off the lot, rather than putting up with the gas bill and a few repairs a month maybe.

Sigh, just my rant, i aint drinking the kool aid.

Is your monthly gasoline bill going to be more or less if you trade the truck in for a new car payment and insurance?

I work at a dealer and there are mixed emotions from me. On one hand, it has been keeping my dealership busy and we have gotten cought up on everything. CARS was really being shitty at first, but they seem to have pulled it together. Yes, it is sad a few of the vehicles. But, others are just garbage anyway. The one that I feel the worst about at my work is a little black mid 90's short bed stepside 2x4 Chevy truck in very nice condition. But what can we do about it, the owners traded it in under their own free wheel. It was their truck to do with what they want. As far as what are getting scrapped, Ford Expolrers are number one for getting traded in. I think they are the top five. Do any of you ever plan on restoring a ford expolder? I don't. I don't think anyone would. I say good riddance to them. There is a ton of money going over seas on this, but it is still creating and maintaining jobs here in the US. I am not saying that you have to agree with CARS. But there are some benefits. I am thankful that they put a cut off line of 25 years though. As far as a comment someone made on another thread about this how what if this would have happened in the 70's. Do you really know of any 80'-90's car you would want to restore some day? I know those Dodge omnis are pretty sweet. lol.

This has nothing to do with reduced fuel consumption, Green house effect, less fossel fuels, or any other BS story floating around. It's about helping auto dealers sell cars show a slight up turn in sales and money so they're Auto bailouts look like a good thing. And help out the new GM, GOVERNMENT MOTOR! And weather we participate in it or not WE are picking up the tab! After the program ends these temporary increase in sales numbers will be right back in the shiter, because they were artificially inflated in the first place.

That would be sad if you did trade that in on the clunker deal. that is too nice of a truck to destroy. It wouldn't be so bad if they would re sell some of the nice ones out there that are being crushed. It would give people that really need a newer car and can't afford a new one a chance to upgrade, and in turn get the cars that really should be destroyed off the roads. Also it makes me wonder how many will run into some kind of hardship and then can't afford the car payment.

It's already biting everyone in the a**. Government giveaway? No such thing as a free lunch. Even those who haven't taken part in it are paying for it. $3B invested with 54% going into foreign manufactured, the Chinese are scrambling to buy the scrap metal and the American people are going into further debt over it... Home foreclosures are through the roof, peoples credit ratings are in the basement. How are these cars being put on the road? Anyone guessing that the dealerships and the banks are tweaking loans to boost sales? I betting that this time next year the big story in the news will be car repossessions...

You are so right ramenth, this seems all to familiar. :angry7:

I work at a dealer and there are mixed emotions from me. On one hand, it has been keeping my dealership busy and we have gotten cought up on everything. CARS was really being shitty at first, but they seem to have pulled it together. Yes, it is sad a few of the vehicles. But, others are just garbage anyway. The one that I feel the worst about at my work is a little black mid 90's short bed stepside 2x4 Chevy truck in very nice condition. But what can we do about it, the owners traded it in under their own free wheel. It was their truck to do with what they want. As far as what are getting scrapped, Ford Expolrers are number one for getting traded in. I think they are the top five. Do any of you ever plan on restoring a ford expolder? I don't. I don't think anyone would. I say good riddance to them. There is a ton of money going over seas on this, but it is still creating and maintaining jobs here in the US. I am not saying that you have to agree with CARS. But there are some benefits. I am thankful that they put a cut off line of 25 years though. As far as a comment someone made on another thread about this how what if this would have happened in the 70's. Do you really know of any 80'-90's car you would want to restore some day? I know those Dodge omnis are pretty sweet. lol.

Your not looking at the long term effect of this. 1) There will be less parts in the near future for people that didn't or couldn't afford to participate. 2) less auto's available for the small mom and pop type car lots. 3) This flood of scrap steel will drive steel prices down allready low prices, effecting those who make a living. 4) Some collectables will be lost, ( Did you ever think you would see C-bodies as collectables back in the 70's?). And many other reasons I too tired to mention.

I wasn't alive in the 70's. So I had no opinion on them. Some of these Mom and Pop car dealers need to go. In most cases, they are pretty crooked. Not all, but most. I agreed that it is sad, but it is also giving lots of other people work, what about all the salvage yards? They are ruining the drive trains and still parting the rest of the car. So the only parts that really are getting lost is the engine and trans. The body has to be crushed, but it's only the hulk. Some collectable cars get lost every day. Sitting rotting in a field, or filming another movie, or.... I agree that there are better ways to do things and that the Oboma admin kind of suck. I hear they want to limit people to three children now, not neccesarly a bad thing. But they are taking away our freedom. They are spending money on things like CARS that could be spent on better things. But the way I see it. People are going to ***** about, but nobody is going to do anything about it. So I am just going to sit back and enjoy my little bit of extra job security wile this CARS thing is going on.

Sorry if that comes of selfish, it's not intended to be that way.

I wasn't alive in the 70's. So I had no opinion on them. Some of these Mom and Pop car dealers need to go. In most cases, they are pretty crooked. Not all, but most. I agreed that it is sad, but it is also giving lots of other people work, what about all the salvage yards? They are ruining the drive trains and still parting the rest of the car. So the only parts that really are getting lost is the engine and trans. The body has to be crushed, but it's only the hulk. Some collectable cars get lost every day. Sitting rotting in a field, or filming another movie, or.... I agree that there are better ways to do things and that the Oboma admin kind of suck. I hear they want to limit people to three children now, not neccesarly a bad thing. But they are taking away our freedom. They are spending money on things like CARS that could be spent on better things. But the way I see it. People are going to ***** about, but nobody is going to do anything about it. So I am just going to sit back and enjoy my little bit of extra job security wile this CARS thing is going on.

Sorry if that comes of selfish, it's not intended to be that way.

Auto Dismantilers have express they're not wasting they're time scraping these cash for clunkers as the big ticket seller, (the engine) will not be an option. Plus they have to keep exact records as to when and where the parts off these vehicles go. And we all know how junk yards like to operate in a cloud of smoke and mirrors when it comes to a cash type business!

Is your monthly gasoline bill going to be more or less if you trade the truck in for a new car payment and insurance?

I work out of state, almost 650 miles one way from my house. I have to drive it 2 times a month. I spend about $ 375/400 a month in fuel at the least. I guess I could move but i dont want to live in Loiusana. I will weigh out my options about the truck.

We better get used to socialiism, because it is on this administrations agenda. Call it what you want. We are losing our freedom everytime another bill is passed. Socialized medicine, cap and trade. If you ask me they like unemployment where it is or even higher, because it makes people more dependant on the government.
Next it will be new gun bans, tight regulations on ammo and they will soon be crushing our guns. Obama has already ordered the military to melt down their inventory of brass. This is why you can't find brass to reload. If you think this pisses you off because they are destroying these clunkers. Wait until they tell gun owners they have to hand over their ar-15s. Don't drink the koolaid.

did not think they were to sell parts off those cash for clunkers

-
Back