cast iron 833

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
So Ive come across a very early A833. It's from a Dart or other A,and is a cast iron body/bellhousing. This is the number off the side,C 95639 U. The only catch is it's a ball and trunnion flange,and is missing the reverse rod.Now I know this trans will take whatever I throw at it.Comes with trans, bellhousing, shift gate, some linkage, clutch fork, boot and throwout bearing for $200.

My original plan was for a 727,but then I realised there is no o.d gear except for xpensive GV,so started looking at overdrive 833's as a reasonably priced option. The o.d would hold up to the 400 that I will start out with,allowing me to use a 3:91 gear out back without the highway rpm penalty.

Eventually I'll replace the 400 with a 451 that will most definitely kill the A-833 overdrive.Unless theres a way to built it so it will live,I'd need a real 833.

Thats where this cast iron trans comes in. I could also use it behind the 400 and simply use highway gears,most likely 2:94 or 3:23.

So whats my question? Which trans is the better choice? The cast iron beast,or the alum case o.d?

The OD trans also came in cast iron versions for A bodies. I have one going in my '74 Duster that has a build date of Nov '75. The only thing bad about the aluminum version is the counter shaft tends to oblong the support hole over time. This can be repaired by bushing the case = not easy or cheap.

MrMoparTech can help you Paul. He's a good guy.

I wouldn't use either one but if I had to choose, I'd use the O.D 833. More parts are available for it and you don't have to use the ball and trunion joint or convert it over.

Well the way I see it is this;the over drive trans I can get is $250 and an aluminum case with a small block bell. There is no shifter on it,but he thinks he may have an inland. All the rods are there.
Because it alum it's nice and light and the o.d gear gives either a .76 or .73. That I like alot. It will be more money to set it up right , I'd need a 3:91 gear for the rear axle plus getting the case bushed eventually if the trans is O.K for now.

The cast iron would hold up to most anything from what I have read. It has an extra bearing for the ball and trunion flange,plus it's made of cast iron. It's just sheer brute strength,but god how much does that thang weight?!!!!
I can adapt the drive shaft easily to ball and trunnion,as I found a thread here on a search. The solution was actually very good,heavy but again brute strength. It will hold up to the future 451 and then some.

Im thinking theres a pretty hefty weight penalty with this approach.

Im also waiting for the opinion of a trans pro.

The ball and trunion joints don't hold up all that well to horsepower. Just ask the early drag racers.

Hi 805moparkid,no it's not a max wedge trans. Small block bell and 23 spline input shaft. Jamie Passon say they are a very strong trans. And there is a custom driveshaft workaround,which combines the slip joint and B&T. Pretty beefy as it uses in stock 4X4 parts.

http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm

I cant see anything wrong with this custom setup,other than an extra few pounds.

Hi 805moparkid,no it's not a max wedge trans. Small block bell and 23 spline input shaft. Jamie Passon say they are a very strong trans. And there is a custom driveshaft workaround,which combines the slip joint and B&T. Pretty beefy as it uses in stock 4X4 parts.

http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm

I cant see anything wrong with this custom setup,other than an extra few pounds.

well you didn't say that! lol

besides...

i scored a Hemi trans for 250 bucks out of a junk yard cuz it was just a mopar trans lol...

well you didn't say that! lol

besides...

i scored a Hemi trans for 250 bucks out of a junk yard cuz it was just a mopar trans lol...

WOW! Thats a GREAT DEAL!! Im getting a good bargainI think. $200 and the trans comes with a hurst shifter gate,bell housing,clutch fork,throw out bearing. All I need is a reverse rod,andthe usual small stuff like flywheel etc.

Well Jamie had the final word. Im going to buy it if I can,as the seller is now acting weird. Probably going to try and hold out for more money.

Here is what Jamie had to say;

Paul,
We have everything that you could possibly need for it in stock. They are a good strong unit as long as you can get it mated to a driveshaft, you should be fine.
Thanks,
Jamie

WOW! Thats a GREAT DEAL!! Im getting a good bargainI think. $200 and the trans comes with a hurst shifter gate,bell housing,clutch fork,throw out bearing. All I need is a reverse rod,andthe usual small stuff like flywheel etc.

forgot to mention i sold it for 1500 lol...

Holy crap,you found a sucker!!!

This trans seller keeps changing his story. At first it was I want to sell it. Then it was,maybe I'll keep it for parts. Now it's"I have another party coming to look".

Well I was first in line,but some people dont play by the rules. Im sure as hell not going to get in a bidding war,I'd go buy off ebay if I wanted that.

This guy is not dealing honestly. We may be done depending on the response to my email.

-
Back