Cast or forged crank?

-

highspeeddirt

Reaction score
My 1967 273. I know they are typically forged cranks from what I read. Also, looks like wide forge marks. It Has the "ring" to it also. Just wanted to get some of y'all's expert opinions?

20220227_145829.jpg

20220227_145835.jpg

20220227_145849.jpg

Forged until about 72. Note the wide parting line on the crank throws.

And totally unnecessary really. Mopar cast cranks can easily support 400 horse or more.

Thanks everyone. I was pretty confident it was forged. As of right now, my plans are to build the 273 using the 10.5:1 pistons from Egge.

Check out my 273 build. Link is just below.
I kinda stalked your build a while back. Enjoyed watching your progress.
With the "no small bore head gasket availability issue" for the 273's, I sent an inquiry in to cometic about custom head gaskets. May be too pricey, but would be nice to try and keep as much compression as possible.

I kinda stalked your build a while back. Enjoyed watching your progress.
With the "no small bore head gasket availability issue" for the 273's, I sent an inquiry in to cometic about custom head gaskets. May be too pricey, but would be nice to try and keep as much compression as possible.
Worth a try but it won't be enough to make a difference. Even with milling the heads, I ended up with 9.6/1. Perfect for today's gas.

rounded counterweight edges is a dead giveaway from 50 feet. High rpms has much to do with a good balance job and quaillty rod bolts.

Worth a try but it won't be enough to make a difference. Even with milling the heads, I ended up with 9.6/1. Perfect for today's gas.
Well, Cometic replied..... They said they can do a fiber/fire ring gasket for the 3.625" bore, but they can't do a MLS gasket.. Also said stock thickness is .040" I'm trying to find out what is the smallest compressed thickness they can do. They are pricey, $93.07 each!

UPDATE: they replied that .027" is the thinnest they go for automotive head gaskets.

Last edited:
Are there red head gaskets that are .020? Old stock...thought I remembered them. How about .020 dead soft copper and some silver gasket paint?

What year's did the teen have a forged crankshaft? I knew that they had floating wrists pins
All poly 318's have forged cranks. So do many LA318's. There doesn't seem to be any firm rules about them though. I found the forged ones mostly in '67 LA318's, and manual transmission applications in the later years....even late '70's trucks and vans. Most cars and pickups with automatics came with cast cranks.

-
Back