Cat urine, carpet and a very rusty floor

-

nothingbutdarts

Reaction score
I have had a Dart sitting in a garage a couple hundred miles from where I live for about 15 years. It had no glass in it (insert idiot here) Long story short, cats were urinating on the pass floor carpet, it soaked thru carped and jute padding and had rusted the floor quite a bit.
I'm looking for help and suggestions on how to neutralize the cat piss to stop the rusting on the floor???
I am so upset with myself to have let it happen, it makes me sick. I had pulled out the complete wiper linkage, it was laying on top of the 4-speed hump and it is totally rusty from the ammonia fumes that have been in the car amongst other items.

Thank You for all suggestions in advance!

I would recommend popping out all the floor drain plugs, and first thoroughly scrub the floor with hot soapy water. Then put the floor plugs back in temporarily and thoroughly scrub it back down with a wire brush and CLR. Pop the floor plugs and thoroughly rinse the CLR, as its a mild acid. Reapply CLR multiple times as necessary, then thoroughly dry and apply primer. I'd recommend brush on rustoleum brown rusty metal primer.

cat urine is acidic, baking soda is basic so it would neutralize acid to a salt. I would liberally sprinkle a box on the affected spot and let it sit, maybe agitate with a brush and then shop vac up. If it is surface rust on the pan, dump some play sand in there and rub it around and then vac that out. you want it dry and neutral before you paint it with a primer. Ozium and fabreze work great on urine odor.

Have had very good results using Pine-sol to eliminate the smell of mouse piss in the cowl and heater box .

Wal-mart used to sell a product called "urine destroyer" that chemically altered the enzymes in urine.

IIRC there are several products that do the same. Just look for "enzymes" on the label.

gotta say - you're gonna be pulling that carpet back to get at the floor anyway, which very likely means the seats have to come out - go the full step - it's time for a new carpet.

Thanks All.

The interior of the car is completely stripped as in no dash, headliner, door panels seats, carpet nothing.

I towed the car back to my house so the problem with the cats pissing in it are over, just the rust and smell.

I power wire brushed the real bad spot yesterday and used baking soda for now, just need to work on the area again and pretty much all the inside because the stench was so corrosive. I did a little grinding on it to get the heavy rust gone, it now has two pin head size pin holes in the floor in the real bad area. SUCKS!

hey - it could easily have been worse - I mean after 15 years you're "lucky" there aren't a lot more holes. The wiper pieces will clean up pretty easily too - ya got it home so it's all about getting after now - one step at a time... :thumbsup:

I did not know until after I bought my vette, it was a mice motel.
After scrapping the carpet seats etc, painting the floor with POR 15.
You can still smell it years later, when it gets hot out.
The wife and I actually took it to breakfast today, and she commented that you cannot smell the mice until it starts getting warm outside.
I don't think the smell will ever come out of that car, and I gutted the inside, and replaced the interior.

Evapo-rust?
image_23700.jpg

-
Back