Catalytic Converter

-

aimplus

Reaction score
Like to throw this out for opinion as the Internet is as contradictory as my wife.

Can anyone definitively tell me the first year catalytic converters became mandatory. I have researched they first appeared in 75, but were not mandatory until 76. Then I see anything 75 and on they are mandatory.

Little help. I am looking to upgrade my 75 exhaust and if I can dump the converter I'll be a happy boy.

bv

Why? Are you arguing with an emissions test? For most of us this is a non-issue at this point in time, no cat.

In California 1975 is the year of the CAT, so I'm assuming everywhere may be similar. That's why you don't buy newer than 75 if you plan on doing anything to the car here. Also regardless of whether or not it has a CAT, in CA changing any of the emissions equipment is technically a no-no and won't pass smog. Again - same issue.

Honestly your local laws will dictate what you can and can not do. Here in the DEQ zone I live in its 76 and newer. Now the vehicle is supposed to retain all the factory smog stuff. But, I passed with a built 460 in my truck (my truck was never offered with a 460 in 4x4) with headers, custom exhaust, etc and I passed as long as they saw I had cats nd I pased the sniff test.

In California 1975 is the year of the CAT, so I'm assuming everywhere may be similar. That's why you don't buy newer than 75 if you plan on doing anything to the car here. Also regardless of whether or not it has a CAT, in CA changing any of the emissions equipment is technically a no-no and won't pass smog. Again - same issue.

Simple way around it....Montana LLC....permanent plates on anything over 10 years old. No smog...not tax.

Arizona Emissions inspection is required prior to registration Area A and B and differs in the two areas.Area A includes townships in Maricopa, Yavapai, and Pinal counties; Area B includes select townships in Pima county.Vehicles manufactured in or before 1966 are exempt from inspection.Vehicles in Area B and manufactured in or before 1980, other than diesel-powered vehicles, must pass the curb idle test condition; vehicles in Area B and manufactured in or after 1981, other than diesel-powered vehicles, must pass the curb idle test condition and the loaded test condition. Exempts collectible vehicles and motorcycles from emission inspections in Area B.Vehicles in Area A and manufactured in or after 1981 with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) rating of 8,500 lbs. or less, other than diesel vehicles, must pass a transient loaded test or an on-board diagnostic test; all other vehicles in Area A, except diesel vehicles, must pass a steady state loaded test and a curb idle emissions test.Repair and maintenance costs not to exceed $500 in Area A and $300 in Area B.OBD is utilized as part of the state emissions inspection process.Visit the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality for more information on Arizona’s Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program.

Sorry for your situation :banghead: , In SC, we have nothing...:D.

lol in iowa we have "rules" about emissions but no test maybe a cop might give you a ticket if your cars too loud lol other than that we do what we want! :burnout:

Is this in a car or truck? I ask because converters were not required on trucks until later.

This isn't about an emissions issue. This is an Arizona car, located in Maricopa county so it is under the 67 and later emissions rules.

I am contemplating a bigger engine, headers and don't want the hassle of the cats. This is my first post 72 car and am gathering input.

bv

Thanks to OM Rickie ".Area A includes townships in Maricopa, Yavapai, and Pinal counties; "
According to this ,this is where you live (Area "A")...

ll other vehicles in Area A, except diesel vehicles, must pass a steady state loaded test and a curb idle emissions test.Repair and maintenance costs not to exceed $500 in Area A and $300 in Area B.OBD is utilized as part of the state emissions inspection process.Visit the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality for more information on Arizona’s Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program.
In plain English,looks like the equivalent of a "California's IM240 " dyno loaded smog test program, to me. Here(California), that requires an OEM parts needed to pass "visual inspection". If the necessary OEM equipment isn't there ,fail the test. (How it works in CA)

Here is the information for your answer,I would think.(I hate this stuff...)
Visit the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality for more information on Arizona’s Vehicle Emissions Inspection Program. Better to learn up front,before modifications & spent money. Hopefully someone who know Arizona chimes in ,with help.
To me,is that oem emissions equipment inspecton necessary on smog tests needed in your county? Check that link,or a good smog tech.

Modern cats are not at all like the early parts. On anything truly streetable (not "streetable" if you get my drift) I doubt that you would notice a difference. I've done the "Test Pipe" thing, no difference. Growing up in the 60's -> 80's I have seen the difference that they make in clean air. You do want to breathe clean air I'll assume. Once I get it's AFR under better control I'll be putting a universal cat on my '65 Valiant. Check out what Summit, Jeg's, etc. sells.

Like to throw this out for opinion as the Internet is as contradictory as my wife. Can anyone definitively tell me the first year catalytic converters became mandatory. I have researched they first appeared in 75, but were not mandatory until 76. Then I see anything 75 and on they are mandatory. Little help. I am looking to upgrade my 75 exhaust and if I can dump the converter I'll be a happy boy. bv

It's contradictory because it depends on the vehicle. So the question is what did Your car come with and does it still need to meet the visual and/or sniff test. Like stated above, some vehicles like light pickups could get by without them until '79. As already stated, you can buy high flow aftermarket cats from high end (random) to cheap (mail-order company branded), so don't sweat it unless you plan on running leaded race gas.

My '75 Scamp (Canadian model) did not come with a catalytic converter. My grandmother bought the car new so I can also confirm it never had one.

Growing up in the 60's -> 80's I have seen the difference that they make in clean air. You do want to breathe clean air I'll assume. Once I get it's AFR under better control I'll be putting a universal cat on my '65 Valiant. Check out what Summit, Jeg's, etc. sells.

I like this guy.

If you read my thread ( "Biohazard" in the restoration's section ), you'd know about my wife who is extremely sensitive to air quality issues. We moved across country to the arid SouthWest in search of better air quality so she could live a normal life but when we find ourselves driving behind any vehicle with a tired mill burning oil or running too rich on the A/F mix - it may as well be 1973 Los Angeles inside the car. Even keeping the A/C on recirculate doesn't keep the pollution out and she would then have about 3 hours of raging headaches to enjoy.

Knowing what that does to my girl - I could not fathom putting someone else through the same thing. I, too, am looking at putting a good cat on my stinkpipe when it's ready to roll.

If you're in California the 1975 and older vehicles are smog exempt, my 1975 318 Dart Swinger is now minus the Cat. No issues.

welcome to AZ. Tough to fight them on emissions. Best to call the inspection station around 40th street and jefferson I believe. Any ADEQ testing facility should be able to refer you. best to ask the main source for the state, if its not obvious. Might ask MVD if you can get historic plates for it, and skip the BS with emissions.

You can run aftermarket cats though. Not as bad as CA when it comes to having certified equipment. They do a visual inspection to see the cat or cats if you do duals.

-
Back