catch can

-
I got a coolant recovery kit from Advance Auto parts. It was their smallest sort of hex shaped bottle. The low/cold and full/hot markings on it are perfect for my 22 inch radiator.

I had one from Summit on mine. They are nice. Has a drain valve in the bottom too.

Here is mine :glasses7:

Attachments

• Picture 254.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 255.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 220
My car had a Mountain Dew bottle when I got it. I used the "road" method for the last several years. I'm switching over to a Champion radiator now so I'm going to have to come up with something a little more classy.

So how determine which one of these I need?

I got a coolant recovery kit from Advance Auto parts. It was their smallest sort of hex shaped bottle. The low/cold and full/hot markings on it are perfect for my 22 inch radiator.
Yes they aren't the greatest things to look at but they work very well. I have at least 4 of them on different vehicles and haven't had any fail. One is in my chopped 66 Chevy 1/2 ton w/440 and it's been there since 2000. They just work.

you could just keep the level about 1 1/4" below the rad cap as per factory service manual,there will be enough room for expansion and you won't require one.

I used a big rockstar can at one point with a hose glued to the cap. It worked for about 1000 miles, then the zip ties on the lower half came loose, and I heard it tap the fan about twice then I heard it explode and shoot parts of can all over the road behind me. I now have one of those chrome generic tubes, since I noticed EVERYONE at a car show I went to had one.

you could just keep the level about 1 1/4" below the rad cap as per factory service manual,there will be enough room for expansion and you won't require one.

Keeping the system completely full reduces rust.
A reservoir I can see through is a very easy check.
If I couldn't see in it, it may as well have a dipstick.

-
Back