Cell Phones

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
This will probably ruffle some feathers. I was in the store yesterday and I had a woman almost walk in to my shopping cart because she was looking at her stupid phone instead of watching were she's going, this isn't the first time that this has happened. I've even said to people, put the phone away and watch were your going. Next time you're in the store just look at how many people are on their phones while they are shopping, out of 10 people I'm sure that 8 will be on their phones. It's ridiculous that people are glued to their stuip phone's more than interact with others.

Not exciaing here at all, but I can tell you I write my shopping list on my phone

So unless I want to make 3 trips, yeah, I'll be looking at my phone from time to time aswell

Not exciaing here at all, but I can tell you I write my shopping list on my phone

So unless I want to make 3 trips, yeah, I'll be looking at my phone from time to time aswell
I can see that. I write a list. It just seems that they are glued to these things. People even drive their cars when on their phones, it's a addition. Myself I can take it or leave it.

I cannot stand smart phones. The only reason I have one is because for whatever reason, a flip phone no longer receives a signal out here where we are. I don't do any online activities on my phone at all. I barely text. I hate it.

Texting is OK, if you understand how/why to use it.

It's NOT supposed to be an immediate "I have to answer this text right the F now...instead of driving or looking where I'm going" kind of thing.

Its supposed to be used at both parties convenience.

...like email, only easier to access and for shorter sentences and conversations.

They are a big part of the decay of society. Yes I have one. You have to. I look at Craigslist A,B,C and E bodies. I google stuff when I need to. I have no problem not lookin at a text or to not lookin at it all. I used to drive big trucks. It would scare the hell out of you guys if you seen how many people are driving while texting or lookin at there phone.

My sister was known to use the phone all the time.
I only use a phone for calling people, when I receive a text on my flip phone I call that person back because I don't want to learn how to text.
A phone is for talking to people, for anything else I use my laptop or desktop.
The new phones may be smart, but I don't think they're secure as my computers.

No cell phone for me, not ever. I got enough chit to deal with, without adding to it.
For a long time I didn't have a landline either. People know where I live. People know where I work. If they don't, I don't want to talk to them. If they insist, they can call my wife.
I can keep a pretty long list of related things, in my mind; even multiple lists. I mean that's what a mind is for, namely; storing, exchanging, and retrieving data.
Even my dog can remember over 28 different commands, questions, and communications. He has a mind too.
Look I'm not pointing fingers, just saying. People have become islands to themselves; drifting around aimlessly, crashing into things, existing, alive but not living.
The mind has to be fed, exercised, and disciplined; just like the body. Lack of those basics goes, you know where; use it or lose it.

I tell you what;
look around your neighborhood; follow the barking.
A dog kept in a kennel or on a chain will undergo a mind-change. He will begin by barking for attention. Then get angry. Over time he will try to chew his way to freedom, and bark incessantly. I don't know where this behavior stops, cuz usually the dog disappears about this time. People put the dog down cuz it won't stop barking; but all he wants is to be seen/acknowledged/loved/ and touched ; he is going stir-crazy watching the world go by.
People have the same needs; to be seen/acknowledged/loved/and touched. Social media is making them go stir-crazy. no cellphone for me.

I use my phone for everything, but aside from being addicted to the F_BO sites, and paying bills, it's mostly a radio for me. I have Dish network for TV, but might break down and accept the 21st century and get home wireless. Then get some streaming service, but I'm just to lazy. I miss the 80's, but realize everything is online these days.

Texting is OK, if you understand how/why to use it.

It's NOT supposed to be an immediate "I have to answer this text right the F now...instead of driving or looking where I'm going" kind of thing.

Its supposed to be used at both parties convenience.

...like email, only easier to access and for shorter sentences and conversations.
I completely understand. My hands are so big, it makes the experience a total PITA.

It doesn't help that most stores post comparable prices/coupons/product locations/etc. online- they're just encouraging the behavior. And now they've got those stupid QR codes pasted everywhere (even on TV). Even restaurants post their menus and want you to order and pay online now.
I've got a flip phone, and I'll give it up when they pry it out of my cold dead hands. Texting is a pain, I just call people back; and it usually goes right to voicemail. Hey, you were there a second ago... When people give me crap about "getting into the 21st century" I just tell them there's a new app for your smartphone now- It lets you actually TALK to people! Try it!
Had to carry a smart phone for years for work, so I know how to use them, just hated every minute of it- people rely on it instead of their own minds now. If their phone is smart, they don't have to be. Just look at some of the posts on here- almost completely illegible. "Oh, that's the darned AutoCorrect again..." they say. Well, who's the one that pushed "send" on that gibberish? Didn't you read it first?
Rant done.

I cannot stand smart phones. The only reason I have one is because for whatever reason, a flip phone no longer receives a signal out here where we are. I don't do any online activities on my phone at all. I barely text. I hate it.

I miss my flip phone. It was 3g, not a smartphone. It worked just fine. I'd be happy with an old Motorola RAZR. I don't trust those flexy screens to last. I also dislike typing on glass.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cellphonedigest.net%2Fimages%2FLG-LOTUS.jpg

“I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

And then there was Socrates, warning against writing things down because it will rot the kids memories. And a similar outrage at the printing press. And the newspaper. And radio. And television. And computers. And then finally the internet. To be followed by whatever comes next...
A history of media technology scares, from the printing press to Facebook.

I can grab a piece of paper, and write a list, WAY faster than the phone can. Unless you wanna be that guy " hey Google, add milk to my grocery list"? You ain't that Guy, are ya? Lol hahaha

It doesn't help that most stores post comparable prices/coupons/product locations/etc. online- they're just encouraging the behavior. And now they've got those stupid QR codes pasted everywhere (even on TV). Even restaurants post their menus and want you to order and pay online now.
I've got a flip phone, and I'll give it up when they pry it out of my cold dead hands. Texting is a pain, I just call people back; and it usually goes right to voicemail. Hey, you were there a second ago... When people give me crap about "getting into the 21st century" I just tell them there's a new app for your smartphone now- It lets you actually TALK to people! Try it!
Had to carry a smart phone for years for work, so I know how to use them, just hated every minute of it- people rely on it instead of their own minds now. If their phone is smart, they don't have to be. Just look at some of the posts on here- almost completely illegible. "Oh, that's the darned AutoCorrect again..." they say. Well, who's the one that pushed "send" on that gibberish? Didn't you read it first?
Rant done.
Dude, I'm Right There with Ya!

I can grab a piece of paper, and write a list, WAY faster than the phone can. Unless you wanna be that guy " hey Google, add milk to my grocery list"? You ain't that Guy, are ya? Lol hahaha
No, I don't use any of the orwellian surveillance programs that come standard on our phones now

I either use "notepad", especially if it is stuff I think off during the week when I know I won't make it to the store for several days

Or, more likely, my list will come in a text from the wife

I have a dry erase board on my fridge used for the grocery / supply list.
I snap a picture of it before I go to the store because it saves a few minutes writing all that same stuff onto a separate, more portable list.
I used to lose paper lists (mainly because I'm short and have to empty my hands to climb store shelves :rolleyes:) but I have yet to walk on and leave my crappy Tracfone on a shelf somewhere, or run into somebody while I'm glancing at the list photo.

Phones, like anything, can be used as a tool to enhance our lives and add convenience, or can become a crippling distraction. It's up to the user to decide which way they will take it.

I use my phone all day long for many things. Writing lists, searching for car parts online while I'm at the shop, buying/selling, streaming music, on and on....but I try very hard not to rely on it. I will occasionally leave the house without it so that I can remember what it was like "back in the day" before we had this mini computer attached at the hip.

There's no arguing that many, if not most people are glued to their phone in public and don't even realize it. One habit I practice is to intentionally leave my phone in my pocket when standing in line or sitting in a waiting room. Patiently standing or sitting without having some sparkly thing to stare at is becoming a lost art.

This will probably ruffle some feathers. I was in the store yesterday and I had a woman almost walk in to my shopping cart because she was looking at her stupid phone instead of watching were she's going, this isn't the first time that this has happened. I've even said to people, put the phone away and watch were your going. Next time you're in the store just look at how many people are on their phones while they are shopping, out of 10 people I'm sure that 8 will be on their phones. It's ridiculous that people are glued to their stuip phone's more than interact with others.
Only ones ruffled have other issues..
Yes, people on their phones while doing any and everything... its lame.

I don’t use my smart phone all that much because I can’t see it most of the time, but I love my iPad & use it all the time. My wife says I am addicted.

I don’t hardly use a computer at all anymore, windows irritates me so much.

Sitting in a waiting room, and to a certain extent, standing in a line are actually the perfect times to check and respond to texts, or emails. IMO.

Driving, including waiting for a red light, and walking, especially in traffic (automobile or human) are NOT.

I don’t disagree, waiting rooms are indeed an appropriate setting to look at your phone. It’s just a thing that I do for myself, because I’ve noticed that as soon as I find myself standing in line or waiting with nothing to do, my hand goes immediately to my pocket and out comes my phone, regardless of whether I have unread messages or anything productive to do.

I have developed a specific "awareness" gesture I use when passing drivers (or pedestrians) who are obviously phone-distracted, and are causing or have caused an issue.

I make the "hang loose" sign with thumb and forefinger extended, hold that up to my mouth/ear (like it's a phone), and rotate it back and forth, calling attention to it.

Most people get it.

Maybe it will catch on.

Not as aggressive as "the finger", plus it's very specific as to what the offense was.

“I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”

― Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt

And then there was Socrates, warning against writing things down because it will rot the kids memories. And a similar outrage at the printing press. And the newspaper. And radio. And television. And computers. And then finally the internet. To be followed by whatever comes next...
A history of media technology scares, from the printing press to Facebook.
Oh, I understand the value and am not against the technology at all- I just find it sad that so many people have become so reliant on it that they become totally lost without it. How many times, when confronted with simple math, have you seen people reach for their phone, open the calculator app, and sit there punching in numbers- "Lets see, dinner was $21.00, and we need to split it three ways, hmmm..."
Or the people who stand there watching cute pet videos while their own dog is sitting patiently at their feet, begging for a little attention.
Or the kids at work sitting around the breakroom table, texting each other two feet away.
Or "We're not having a Class reunion, we'll just form a Fakebook group".
Even Zuckerberg has gone on record as saying he deeply regrets having developed Facebook.
It's not the technology that's bad (I use it regularly- I'm here, right? and I don't carry around a slide rule anymore, either!), but it's some people's habitual mindless dependence on it that will rot us to our core.

-
Back