Chain drive vs Jesel for big cam, 7000 RPM

-

airwoofer

Drivetrain limit explorer
Reaction score
Using a Indy R2 cam. Already have a roller chain drive.

What is the benefit (vs cost) of the jesel over a chain drive?
Pros and cons?

I too run the r2 cam,i don't have a belt drive,but did do some looking into,the belt needs to be changed every year,you can change cam timing without pulling a timing cover off,not sure about any hp gains

What CL did you set that R2 cam at? Indy told me 106* but I don't much believe the counter sales guy who also handles their phone orders.

Isn't there also the benifit of not tranfering harmonics?

IMO, unless you have money to blow i've seen plenty of VERY fast cars running chain or gear drives.

The chains are more violent and transmit harmonics like solid motor mounts, plus they can stretch and lose accuracy. The belt is more accurate and does not transmit any harmonics, and allow for easy adjustment. That last one is why most get used...

i like almost ever one else have used chains from the begining. i was always replacing them 2 or 3 times doing racing season then one day my buddy handed me his used pete jackson gear drive to use. i installed it and was plain amazed at how rock steady the timing was and it never needed change out because of unsteady timing or anything else. i past it on to another buddy after using it for years and it's still just as rock steady as new. you just can't beat them for the price. now i have a used donovan gear drive in my motor and it's rock steady also. the only step up from one is the belt at $400+ more then say a donovan, casull(spell check on that please) or milodon, etc.

Replacing chains 2-3 times a season? That's whacked. I didn't think about a gear drive. Now's the time to decide for me. I do not want to have to do a bunch of maintenance on this motor besides checking the valve lash. I wanna just put in gas, oil, and maybe some spray an run the piss outta it.

The chains are more violent and transmit harmonics like solid motor mounts, plus they can stretch and lose accuracy. The belt is more accurate and does not transmit any harmonics, and allow for easy adjustment. That last one is why most get used...

I have a buddy with a 512" Ford on alcohol, who runs a gear drive. Nothing but problems with the valve train. We all believe it's the massive transfer of harmonics throughout the valve train that is causing most of the issues he's had. We are swapping out to a Jesel belt drive at the end of the season, if he makes it lol.

The only thing I never liked about thye gear drive was the noise. DO they make one that is quiet or quieter?

they make quiet or noisy gear drives,just look in the jegs book,i still have the same chain on my 440 indy motor since 2005,still runs 9.70s,i know its getting about do,i like to try a belt drive,jessel says to change the belt every year

How about a billet chain drive with a tensioner, Mine works great. The timing light doesn't jump around like it does with a seasoned chain

Gears rob power. Grumpy Jenkens. Use to run a aluminum/nylon top sprocket. He cut as much reciprocating weight as possible. I myself never buy a chain set . You need to get the chain separate to fit your engine. Cam and crank bores are never the same distance apart and for this reason a chain is fitted to every build. Or just run them loose like most do.

They make a tensioner for the RB like the SBs have?

I would be worried about gears not keeping the timing consistant due to the lash. Noise won't be a factor - drag race only build.

Replacing chains 2-3 times a season? That's whacked. I didn't think about a gear drive. Now's the time to decide for me. I do not want to have to do a bunch of maintenance on this motor besides checking the valve lash. I wanna just put in gas, oil, and maybe some spray an run the piss outta it.

the racing season was 51 weeks in florida and i raced the hotrod 2-3 times a week plus tnt alot. it you want to be good at bracket racing you have to attend to all the details.

Gear drives transfer more harmonics than a timing chain set-up too.
A belt drive set-up (while pricey) is the best way to go.

The only thing I never liked about the gear drive was the noise. DO they make one that is quiet or quieter?

That's funny. The typical Cheby street driver around here runs a gear drive just to sound "cool" driving through the local cruises past all the lawnchairs. No other reason. It could be a stock 350 with headers in a Nova but it's got to have that sound. I like that the typical Mopar guy tends to conceal their big brass knuckles in a velvet glove.

It seems Jesel is Charlie's only sponsor and Warfish seems to be the dominant SS/AH car. Maybe there's something there. All those small increments add up to wins.

I like that the typical Mopar guy tends to conceal their big brass knuckles in a velvet glove.

It's funny to go around a car show and to see the subtle details that indicate whether a car is just a show car or if the setup is really meant to go..

Gear drives can tend to eat main bearings from tension transfer and having no allowance for deflection between the cam and crank axis. It's very small, but it does eventually take it's toll. Align boring on VW engines is extremely common for this reason.

-
Back