Changing spark plugs in a small block 360 Any recommendations on which brands are the best to use?

-

nitronut

Reaction score
Mild cam, headers, 600cfm edelbrock carb, Mopar chrome ECU box Have Champions installed now and wondered if there's an easy upgrade.

There is no difference large enough between spark plugs to worry about winning or loosing on the street. With that said:

1: I’ve never had a problem with Champs. I run those on the street.

2: A lot of fellas like the NGK or Autolights

Lots of folks swear by Champions, but I've had better luck with Autolites, especially with respect to fouling.

My Grandfathers mower has a 392 Hemi with a Flamethrower magneto. He uses 8 lighting rods off his barn for plugs.
Dusty2 red Xed me.
He must know that Granddad uses 16 lighting rods cause he has dual plug 392 heads on his mower. (I didn't want to tell Granddads speed mowing secret.) The other 8 lighting rods came from the house and corn crib and 1 came from the outhouse roof. (No more pooping during an electrical storm.)

Last edited:
Autolite was associated but...

Motorcraft was ford.

NGKs are by far the easiest plug to read. Don’t ask me why.

I have run Champions for half a decade without any issued. NGK and Nippon Denso are supposed to be top notch but i don't know how close their applications are heat range wise. Anyone run Platinum's or double Platinum's? Heck, we don't put enough miles on our cars to need a plug that lasts 50,000+ miles.

I've been using NGK's since my dirt bike day's. My old 250 Bultaco would load up the Champions, NGK's cured that problem.
I believe NGK made the first platinum plugs, we used alot of them in the dirt bikes in the 70's.

by chance did you mean "AG22's" ? I'm trying to cross reference this to Champion and see the heat range. Thanks

Hold on bad info. I shouldn’t post while eating AR3912 now. And it’s been a long time but I think AR3922 on pump gas. I’ll have to see if I have one laying around to double check the pump gas number

Autolite AR3912 Racing Plug

I've been using NGK's since my dirt bike day's. My old 250 Bultaco would load up the Champions, NGK's cured that problem.
I believe NGK made the first platinum plugs, we used alot of them in the dirt bikes in the 70's.
Lol! Back in the late 70’s I was given a YZ 400 dirt bike all taken apart (I was 12, wanted a bike and my dad sad get it t running) champions fouled every time. NGK fixed my two stroke delima. When the 273 in my 66 barracuda came home from the dyno it had Autolites in it. Owner of the shop who built it said easier to read and easier to figure out heat range.

Mild cam, headers, 600cfm edelbrock carb, Mopar chrome ECU box Have Champions installed now and wondered if there's an easy upgrade.
How much do you know about spark plugs? As in.. what do you know about plugs that leads you to believe there's an "upgrade" and what does "upgrade" mean to you exactly? What don't you like about the champions? Are you trying to find power in changing spark plugs..?..
if so , stop wasting your time.
Go play with the distributor timing and advance... that can find you more power.

-
Back