cheap OB2 scanners??

-
Don't know good from bad, but DO know that "a scanner is not a scanner." Only some of the more expensive stuff can extract some of the codes from some vehicles, IE transmission, etc, other than basic engine codes

Don't know good from bad, but DO know that "a scanner is not a scanner." Only some of the more expensive stuff can extract some of the codes from some vehicles, IE transmission, etc, other than basic engine codes

That is 100% correct. The generic scanners are better than nothing but they can cost you a lot of money if they don't give you the full picture when you start buying unneeded parts.

well i look at it this way, i just need to pull engine codes. google will get me the trouble shooting procedures.

Let's try a different approach. A single vehicle ? Explain the car,and the situation. Some damn good techs here. A damn good resource,that could help you.

well i look at it this way, i just need to pull engine codes. google will get me the trouble shooting procedures.

I won't say the cheap code readers won't work in some cases because they do.

The generic code readers have made me so good money. I bought a car for $500 because the generic scanner didn't read all the sensors and they couldn't fix it with the codes it listed. I hooked up my nearly antique SnapOn scanner on it, got the stored codes, located the bad sensor, replaced it and sold the car for $4K. If you have one of the cheap code readers and it helps you fix your car, that is great but if it doesn't find someone with a good scanner to scan it before you buy a bunch of parts that you don't need.

I picked one up off ebay for about $17 delivered a couple weeks ago. My daily driver trips a coolant code once in awhile. I can now clear it myself. Works great. No batteries. Just plug in, read code & clear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400522732526?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Another option is a ODBII to android/iphone adapter. Then there is a $5.00 app that does more than the $17 scanner.

I know these aren't $2500 professional scanners.....

Inexpensive code readers are just that. They will read codes and clear codes. as the price goes up so does the features. Some have a code library that tells you what the code means. Some others have data stream. Some do ABS and airbag. The next step up does transmission. The expensive ones will do it all and then some. Remember the cheapies only do OBD2 (1996 and newer) generic codes (common codes that the manufacturers share) "Manufacture Specific Codes" can only be accessed with a deluxe scan tool and not a code reader.
Pre OBD2 cars (96 and older) need a different software package and manufacturer specific cables to work. tmm

my i ask why you would go and buy a cheap scanner when you can now pick up an older snap on scanner with most if not all the stuff to scan just about every thing for about 200, just asking. and question no. 2 why don't you just go to auto zone and have them do it?

autozone by me painful to deal with....its like they hired the rejects from the local supermarket.

initially i wasn't thinking about an old MT2500 but will look at them, thanks for the heads up.

i originally just wanted a code reader for the occasional car that i might work on + they don't take up much space in my box. i have friends that have real scanners i could always borrow, but its a hassle.

autozone by me painful to deal with....its like they hired the rejects from the local supermarket.

initially i wasn't thinking about an old MT2500 but will look at them, thanks for the heads up.

i originally just wanted a code reader for the occasional car that i might work on + they don't take up much space in my box. i have friends that have real scanners i could always borrow, but its a hassle.

Check out the MTG2500 also. I see them selling for the same price and they are a little bit better. Be sure you watch what cartridges are there and how new the updates are. I have the black cartridges that are reprogrammable but I don't know if Snap On is still offering current updates now.

The cheap ones that are based on the ELM327 chip work for getting codes. They are Chinese knock off. There is Bluetooth one from Vgate for about $20, it has an on-off switch, so can be left connected at connector without battery discharge. I use one with my phone and tablet, with Torque app.

Over a decade ago I bought an ELM321 chip and built my own, the parts for it about 3x what they cost today complete. The ELM327 chip is multi-protol for most post 1996 cars, since they vary both in hardware and software interface. The documentation is quite good, so one can easily build the hardware or write special software.

I bought a cheap one and it works fine, but it only reads engine codes not brake or transmission or seat or whatever else there is.

Sooo instead of buy an expensive scanner I just drive to discount auto or autozone, they are more than happy to let me borrow their more comprehensive one for free.

Depends....is it a code that is generic to all vehicles? If not you will need a good reader. I have the software from Auto Enginuity. Initial purchaew of it gets you a simple reader that will read only the "Generic Powertrain Codes". You need something specific to a certain vehicle you need to buy the Enhanced Interface for that specific vehicle. This unlocks the software to read ALL systems in a vehicle and perform all sorts of different tests that one of those cheapo readers will never do. Not all engine codes can be read with a cheapo scanner. The cheapo one I have, as well as the three or four that I have tried at a few different NAPA stores would not read my Duramax ECU. Had the check engine light pop on during a road trip once. Had a dirty fuel filter, the cheapo readers would not read that code....nor will it read the code thrown for a leaky/loose fuel cap...

I paid 150 for mine a few years back, It does ABS, Trans and Engine codes, has a code list with possible causes for the code, it reads real time engine data including fuel pressure(vehicle sensor dependent), throttle position, AIT, more stuff that your dash will display. Only thing it wont do is the special codes manufacturers hold dearly to themselves but ive not ran into that yet.

Well I bought a top of the line OTC scanner with all the software and cables. It does it all..Engine, Trans., Pcm, Abs, Sir,Bcm, Etc...All makes all models... Hold on to your shorts it was about 4k so I feel like the prices people are talking about here are crazy..Harbor freight code readers are junk and it will probably will only work once before it melts down...But like its been said you get what you pay for...Bill

For the average DYIer, 4K on a single tool is complete stupidity. I have an OBD2 scanner I paid like 65 shipped for. I've had it several years and used it probably about 100 times. It hasn't melted yet. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. It also does far more than just pull codes. It has "live" data. It calls it live, but it's really about a 2 second freeze frame. Works good enough for anyone with common sense enough to know what they're looking at. It doesn't do ABS or airbags, but big whoop. It does what I paid for it to do. If you spent 4K on one, that's your problem. There are programs available for the PC that will turn it into a VERY nice scan tool that will do everything for just a few hundred dollars. What was it P.T. Barnum said? "There's a sucker born every minute."

We use a cheap one that works well with just your cell phone- it's called launch! AWESOME. by Mac tools Was $79.

Don't put much money in a old Snap On "brick". The software hasn't been supported for a few years now. Except for the OBD1 (96 and older) cars they are becoming door stops.

toolmanmike has hit the nail on the head with both of his comments. Listen to him. The MT2500 is obsolete & Snap-On doesn't support it anymore.
I wouldn't recommend investing a lot of money into a "scan tool" if you are only doing DIY repairs. A cheap code reader may be enough, but again, at best you will only get codes & maybe 4 or 5 lines of data from it. Any serious level of diagnosis you would need a better unit.

The big thing about buying a brick is what accessories come with it. For what I gave for mine just the accessories and three rings of personality keys would have cost more on eBay. I also got 2 Can 1B Adapters with it. The case was full and there was another box full of goodies that went with it. I have used it for about seven years so it owes me nothing. To do an update all I would need is just the new scanner because the accessories and personality keys are the same.

For the average DYIer, 4K on a single tool is complete stupidity. I have an OBD2 scanner I paid like 65 shipped for. I've had it several years and used it probably about 100 times. It hasn't melted yet. That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. It also does far more than just pull codes. It has "live" data. It calls it live, but it's really about a 2 second freeze frame. Works good enough for anyone with common sense enough to know what they're looking at. It doesn't do ABS or airbags, but big whoop. It does what I paid for it to do. If you spent 4K on one, that's your problem. There are programs available for the PC that will turn it into a VERY nice scan tool that will do everything for just a few hundred dollars. What was it P.T. Barnum said? "There's a sucker born every minute."
WTF I sure hope your not judging me for being a professional. Fix peoples car for them and I want it fixed right the first time...When someone comes in with a CEL or MIL light on I dont want to be using a scanner that only gives me half the story..What happens if they come in with an ABS light on???Oh what do I do replace all the wheel speed sensors soliniod dump valves or maybe Just replace I should just replace it all..Now who looks stupid...:violent1: Before you cast judgment get the facts...Maybe thats why I am a master tech and have 38 years fixing cars right the first time and have a following second to none and you are a rusty rat rod...Bill:banghead:

Well I bought a top of the line................ was about 4k l

For the average DYIer, 4K on a single tool is complete stupidity.

WTF I sure hope your not judging me for being a professional. Fix peoples car for them

Stop trying to turn an discussion into something it's not. Rob was just pointing out that "we" individuals are not gonna spend that kind of money on a backyard "fix." If you're doing this for a living, that's a different deal

I paid 150 for mine a few years back, It does ABS, Trans and Engine codes, has a code list with possible causes for the code, it reads real time engine data including fuel pressure(vehicle sensor dependent), throttle position, AIT, more stuff that your dash will display. Only thing it wont do is the special codes manufacturers hold dearly to themselves but ive not ran into that yet.

Can you tell us WHAT brand and model it is that you bought? I'm sure the OP and I know myself would be interested

Stop trying to turn an discussion into something it's not. Rob was just pointing out that "we" individuals are not gonna spend that kind of money on a backyard "fix." If you're doing this for a living, that's a different deal
Well if you read the post it sure sounded like a personal attack on me..He even stated as PT Barnum says there is a sucker born every minute..That pretty much says it all.. Good luck fixing your cars without the proper tools...And yes I have the software in my lap top to program the newer stuff too...Stupidity is user friendly...It doesn't bother me if you like chasing problem for days...And how close are the parameters of the sensors...Also Im sure in Georgia you dont have the drivebility issues we have hear in the NE...The customer in my shop is back on the road the same day 99% of the time...Bill

-
Back