Cheapest overdrive options? A833od? 200r4? T5?

-
Ford AOD....small and cheap. No welder needed, just a conversion mount.

Really? I have a good ford AOD sitting here...

They are kinda big though... Is there any info on a 67 barracuda aod swap?

Ford AOD....small and cheap. No welder needed, just a conversion mount.

but there arent really conversion parts for that. The only place i've seen that can adapt that tranny won't sell you an adapter plate/bell. They want to sell you all the parts along with a built tranny.

but there arent really conversion parts for that. The only place i've seen that can adapt that tranny won't sell you an adapter plate/bell. They want to sell you all the parts along with a built tranny.

For what it is worth, Quicktime was bought out by Lakewood. Lakewood told me that as long as they have the pieces (the motor end/the trans end) they could make any adapter. They have small block Mopar plates and AOD case ends so they "should" be able to make an adapter to fit an aod to a small block mopar. This is more than likely how Lentech gets his made....just as a guess. I know before Quicktime got bought out they did make oddball adapters as I have an adapter to go from a small block to a gm4l80e. Keep in mind that the custom adapters are a bit of $$ but.........

Cheapest i went was a 5 speed out of a 90s dodge dakota that was bolted up to a 3.9. ax-15 trany. The swap for me total was under 250. Even used the flywheel from the 3.9. Trany bolts right up to the 318. However have to modify the trany hump and mounting the trany, and hydraulic clutch. They say they dont last that long but ive been beating the **** out of it for about a year, even drove 4000 miles round trip to minnesota and raced it on a track and back and its holding up fine, and shifting great. buuut then again my 318 is stock roller block bottom end w/302 casting heads, aftermarket roller rockers, 600cfm carter carb and eddy intake.

the ax-15 might be a good choice! there super cheap and if they fit easily i may go with one.. can you tell me more about your ax-15 swap

For what it is worth, Quicktime was bought out by Lakewood. Lakewood told me that as long as they have the pieces (the motor end/the trans end) they could make any adapter. They have small block Mopar plates and AOD case ends so they "should" be able to make an adapter to fit an aod to a small block mopar. This is more than likely how Lentech gets his made....just as a guess. I know before Quicktime got bought out they did make oddball adapters as I have an adapter to go from a small block to a gm4l80e. Keep in mind that the custom adapters are a bit of $$ but.........

I sent an email to quicktime and we'll see what they say. The case wouldnt be the only issue though, you'd also need an appropriate flexplate.

The ax-15 came behind the Dakotas 3.9... I think the nv2500 and nv3500 came behind the bigger rams

think whatever you put in will require cutting the cross member. except for a stock style 4 speed or gv unit.

i looked into the AOD a while back..

We could sell you the Adapter kit for converting the AODE/4R70W to your Small Blk. Mopar engine.
It includes the SFI Adapter Bellhousing, Flexplate, Crank pilot and Modified Front Pump and costs $875.00. Please keep in mind that using this type of conversion kit requires a special lock-up type converter with custom physical dimensions to fit the new set-up properly.

If your AODE/4R70 is going to function as a fully automatic transmission, you’ll also need an aftermarket programmable Power-train Control Module. To avoid this we could supply you with a full-manual valvebody ($595) with our Auto Reset controller ($185) for the Overdrive and Lock-up functions. This controller comes with a transmission pressure switch, a multi-relay pack, and (2) momentary push-buttons, and color coded wiring instructions.

Many of our customers with Mopar engines who have done similar conversions are using one of our AOD transmissions. These units do not require electronic controls for Overdrive and lock-up, but do use a throttle-pressure cable. In fact, those with motors producing more then 300hp use our Non-lock-up version of the AOD.

Give me a call when you have a chance and I’ll go over everything with you.
Thanks
Mike

In NY: 631-242-0008
Out of NY: 800-769-1118
FAX: 631-243-3054
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.fbperformance.com

I'm now looking into the ford T 5 swap... If that deems to difficult... I'll be going with a a833od....

-
Back