Cheapest way to get an inch or 2...

Cheapest way to get an inch or 2....rear lift...

• New springs

Votes: 49 38.6%
  • Re-arched old springs

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • Air shocks

Votes: 59 46.5%

• Total voters
-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Discussion on another list.....

Cheapest/easiest way to get an inch or 2 rear lift...

1. New springs

2. Re-arched old springs

3. Air shocks

Don't forget...all I'm asking is for an inch or 2 rear-end lift, not a foot!

( I purposely omitted longer shackles as they look terrible.)

OK...Have At'r!

Take two leaves out of a 72-80 dodge truck,put them in the a body spring pack.Probably raise it more than two,but they do look good.

The cheapest/easiest way is air shocks; but at the same time is not the most comfortable/ safest way IMHO

Cheapest or most cost effective?

Buying the correct, new, springs is the best use of your money, although d5667 does have a really good idea there.

Yeah, agree with the changin the springs somehow....whether it's changin um out, or addin leafs.

Extra heavy duty or Super Stock springs will jack that thing up.

When I first seen the title to this thread I could not help but think of adding an inch or two to something else.......was going to suggest hanging a weight off the end of your......

Would rather have longer shackles than air socks !! Just save up some $$ and get some s/s springs ...

I wouldn't put air shocks on my anything I would ride in. Probably wouldn't put air shocks on something you ride in either. lol

We put an additional spring into the leaf pack of my son's Jeep and lifted it two inches. The spring was less than $100 for the pair and the rest was all labor. Three years later, it still looks good.

My springs were so shot. When I got the car, it had a class III hitch welded to the frame. Not sure what they were pulling. I bought some XHD and lifted mine bout 3 in. But it looks great to me anyway.

Cheapest way: Air shocks. Best way: New XHD springs. Drag race way: SS springs.

Best - New S/S or XHD springs
Cheap - Re-arched springs.
Cheaper - Add-a-leaf
Cheapest - Air shocks, until one leaks out on the road.

Here is one more option for you. These are still available from Monroe, but are special order at most part supply houses. The price shown is for a pair, so not really too expensive.

They will raise the rear of your car about an inch or so (if it is sagging due to weak leaf springs) and ride much better than air shocks.

Just another idea to consider. They can also be returned if you are not happy with them. I would order them thru your local parts house so that shipping or returns are not an issue.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=18124

Oh yeah, forgot about those. Better choice than air shocks. Just remember, if you use shocks to help raise your rear end, the upper shock mounts bear more of the weight of the car than they were meant to.

Cheaper than air shocks are coil-over helper springs. I put a set on my Barracuda when I got it due to badly sagging springs and not wanting to take it that far apart, YET. About $35 at the local parts house. Only one problem with them is that they use muffler clamps and the top one really needed to be welded to the outer sleeve (not where the charged part of the shock is) to not slip. I have since built a spring stack for when the car hits the road again, some day. NEVER long shackles, they give little to no lift on a Mopar due to the spring design and destroy handling worse than air shocks.

air shocks are the cheapest way, and also the way NOT to do it....... (in my own opinion) I bought new springs and I'd do it again if I had to...

Here is one more option for you. These are still available from Monroe, but are special order at most part supply houses. The price shown is for a pair, so not really too expensive.

They will raise the rear of your car about an inch or so (if it is sagging due to weak leaf springs) and ride much better than air shocks.

Just another idea to consider. They can also be returned if you are not happy with them. I would order them thru your local parts house so that shipping or returns are not an issue.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=18124
Great link thanks I've been thinking of adding a little bit to the back of my car , mainly for when I make the long road trips with the trunk full of tools and extra fuel

question.....what's the problem with air shocks? When I bought my Duster, it had air shocks on it. I didn't like them because they were very stiff and made for a jolting ride, but I never had any other problems with them for the several years I used them before swapping them out for regular gas shocks. Many of your comments lead me to believe they are a problem from a safety point of view.

I've read that the problem with air shocks is that they move the load of the vehicle from the leaf springs to the shock mounting bolts. Those bolts are built to support the dampening function of the shock...not support the weight of the car.

-
Back