Check my PCV setup please

-
I have those M/T cast covers on my Eddie headed 360 with an AirGap. I had to notch the covers to go over the AG runners. No leaks.
It is fairly easy to pressurize the entire engine with a regulated air source, through the dipstick tube. The breather ports, and the PCV, have to be blocked. I use 4psi. Then a soap and water test will find the leak(s).
If it blows the dipstick out,or spits oil out the breathers, you need to perform a blow-by test. The PCV system cannot keep up to bad rings at very much throttle/load settings.It's only there for light throttle and cruising, really. At WOT it backs up and usually exits into the air cleaner housing, where the oil(if existing) condenses out, and the air goes back down the carb throats, and at idle it sits on a minimum bypass disc.
In your case, the breathers need to be open in both directions, so WOT blow-by can exit there. If they are one-way check-valved, the engine will be pressurized at WOT and it will find the weakest places to blow out. Most/All engines will exhibit some pressure into the crankcase at full-load WOT.
So pull the breathers out and blow hard; making sure they are two-way breathers.
I want to be sure I'm understanding you about the check valve comment. Are you saying I should or should not have a PCV valve? I'm working at getting the PCV system to match the picture from RRR in post #14 from page one.

Lilcuda, thanks for the info. I'm going to take a look at the cuda's covers right now.

thanks
danny

Most definitely run it. Like Rusty says; if you run it back to the air cleaner, the oil will collect there instead of on the valve cover. Thing is; if your ring-seal is good, the breathers will collect the oil, and you can wash them out at intervals.Unfortunately that's a lot of work to do properly, and if not done properly can lead to other issues.

No, what I was saying is that air has to move both ways through those breathers. When the engine is working hard, it will be blowing crankcase pressure out the breathers. At all/most other conditions it will be drawing air in the breathers.
I have heard that some of those pesky breathers have one-way rubber flapper valves inside them.Guess which way they don't work.
It seems to me it would be more important to figure out where the oil is blowing out right now than to be re-designing your PCV supply/return air.
To that end I would prove the breathers are two-way, and then pressure test it.

I bet your M/T valve covers are leaking. They need to be clearanced over the intake runners unless you are running 3/8 cork gaskets. Crankcase ventilation can be just a breather, but its messy. routing it up to your air cleaner helps keep the oil vapor from soiling your motor.

Most definitely run it. Like Rusty says; if you run it back to the air cleaner, the oil will collect there instead of on the valve cover. Thing is; if your ring-seal is good, the breathers will collect the oil, and you can wash them out at intervals.Unfortunately that's a lot of work to do properly, and if not done properly can lead to other issues.

No, what I was saying is that air has to move both ways through those breathers. When the engine is working hard, it will be blowing crankcase pressure out the breathers. At all/most other conditions it will be drawing air in the breathers.
I have heard that some of those pesky breathers have one-way rubber flapper valves inside them.Guess which way they don't work.
It seems to me it would be more important to figure out where the oil is blowing out right now than to be re-designing your PCV supply/return air.
To that end I would prove the breathers are two-way, and then pressure test it.

OK. Here is the updated pic. I have put a cap on the V cover near the MC. I installed a new PCV valve, even though the old one still rattled. And I have added a new breather with a hose going to the port under the air cleaner.

I looked at the cast covers and they already appear to be notched. I'm going to go ahead and re-do the gaskets and double check the fit while I'm at it. (In a week or so).

Attachments

• PCV update pic.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 112
One thing i am going to check on my valve covers when i adjust the valves is how far down the pcv valve and breathers stick down in the covers.My valve covers have baffle plates under them.I am wondering if mine and maybe yours are laying flat on the baffle plates and blocking them off causing them not to work as well as they should

Sounds like the valve covers could be the problem, either leaking or warped as already mentioned. Don't know why anyone would notch the valve covers when installing two gaskets per side is so much easier and fixes the problem. I did that four years ago when I changed from a 318 to a 340 and have had no leaks at all. Bobby

One thing i am going to check on my valve covers when i adjust the valves is how far down the pcv valve and breathers stick down in the covers.My valve covers have baffle plates under them.I am wondering if mine and maybe yours are laying flat on the baffle plates and blocking them off causing them not to work as well as they should
Funny you should mention that. I thought the same thing and checked the clearance on my valve cover. It turned out that my PCV was not hitting bottom. I still had 1/2" from the bottom of the PCV to the baffle. Every cover can be different, though. I'd still check yours.

-
Back