Check out these rotors off my daughters car!

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
My daughters 2002 Hyundai Elantra had a very low brake pedal, almost to the floor. It has rear drums so I figured either rear brakes or clean and adjust the rears. The rears were so far out of adjustment that they barely touched and that was the low pedal. The front brakes were worn to almost nothing and when I took the left caliper off, the seal was torn and missing some parts and the piston was rusty. Loaded calipers and rotors were ordered. The rotors would not come off. I sprayed them with PB Blaster and let it soak, then beat the living **** out of them. 120 degree heat index and inside the hot shop. I was dripping wet. The first rotor broke off the hub and the hub split, so I could pry it off. The passenger side wouldn't budge. Beating on it with a hammer split the rotor at the fins, then broke it off the hub. A little air hammering and two of us with pry bars got it off. All told, the whole job took almost two hours when I should have been in and out in less than one hour. Here is the damage.

View attachment rotors.jpg

Typical female problem, don't say anything til it is too late to salvage anything. I got the same thing with the wife, when she says there may be a problem it has been happening for months and there is a bigger problem than she knows when a faster heads up could have saved lots of time and money.
I feel for you.

Typical female problem, don't say anything til it is too late to salvage anything. I got the same thing with the wife, when she says there may be a problem it has been happening for months and there is a bigger problem than she knows when a faster heads up could have saved lots of time and money.
I feel for you.

It wasn't her fault. The rotors were just so corroded on the hub bearing that they wouldn't come off. They were actually within turning specs, but there was no getting them off. Usually this is a Ford truck problem, but apparently also a Hyundai problem now as well.

well if that is within specs then the specs are for ****

all cars are not the same, oh sure they all look so pretty with the nice paint jobs

Read it again. They broke apart like that cause they were rusted and wouldn't come off, not worn through to the fins, you can see all the parts are there.

Ok when was the last time she had those brakes inspected? And if it were recent i would seriously get her a car with a more robust braking system..

Ok when was the last time she had those brakes inspected? And if it were recent i would seriously get her a car with a more robust braking system..

At her last oil change 3 weeks ago. The rotors were thick, they just wouldn't come off. I knew her pedal was low, that's why she had it in yesterday. I didn't know the caliper seal was torn, so that was a surprise, and the inner pads were worn to almost nothing due to the stuck piston. The outer pads had about 50% left.

This never happens when you have got time to mess with it & it's a comfortable 70* in the shop. At least you know she's stopping well now.

Put a hammer face bit in your air hammer and use it to rattle against the rotor between the studs all around the hub and they will pop off. Works every time.

I've run into the "rusted on the hubs" problems on a Hyundai, 2 toyotas, an Acura and a Cadaverlier. Best thing I ever did was started loading up the inside of the new rotors(hub area) and the outside of the bearing hub with Anti-Seize compound before re-assembly. Since then, no problems whatsoever.

FF

What's the bottom piece in the picture? Kinda looks like a dust shield or something.

What's the bottom piece in the picture? Kinda looks like a dust shield or something.

Yeah, the dust shield was rusted and beat up. I zip tied the ABS wire to the control arm and tossed the backing plate. Everyone seems to think this is from her driving it with bad brakes. The front brakes were never the issue. The back brakes were way out of adjustment. The rotors wouldn't come off and I had to destroy them to get them off.

:angry5: <----- That's how I would have felt after two hours of sweating my balls off trying to remove those rotors.......lol

I feel for you folks in the rust belt. Down here in Phoenix we really don't have to deal with that kind of problem. Unless of course the car came from the Midwest or back east lol.

CRAP!! See that around here too,with exhaust and every last freaking nut and bolt. It's the corrosive effect's of the sulfuric acid plant at Teck that does it here. I recently had to grind the shock bolt's out of my p/u,just too rusty to bother with a wrench.

I cant believe she didnt wipe out the car.

Were there threaded holes in the rotor that appear to be for another set of lugs (or something)?

The reason I ask is I had the exact same problem with an fwd celica and assumed, because of living in the pac nw, that it was rusted on.

WRONG-O.

My buddy (toyota dealership mechanic) came over and laughed, then ran bolts into the threaded holes, and it popped off. Then he told me muscle cars were gay as he drank my beer. Butthole.

Women should be obscene and not heard. John Lennon during a conversation with me at the Troubadour 1967

Its a Hyundai, you get what you pay for

I've had to beat rusted rotors off before with similar results (a Minnesota car). Consider replacing the unit bearings while it's apart, hammer blows couldn't have done them any good.

-
Back