Check out this 66 D-Dart For Sale on eBay

-
That one has changed hands many times in the past few years. Looks like the only thing left that's D/Dart is the Vin tag. I still think it's a great car though.

Those are not 5 on 4 wheels..for one thing....That red glitter paint is 60's!

didnt some one on this forum own that car once upon a time ? very kool,never seen one in person

To me it looks like someone's unfinished project. You would typically remove all the emblems and trim on a race car. This car has like 85% of the trim intact, but is missing a few pieces. So where are they? No bumpers? It would not only look better, but be easier to sell with the bumpers. Same for the interior. No headliner or carpet, which makes sense for a race car, so why leave stuff like the dimmer switch in it, or leave the door upholstery & carpet in it? No shifter boot? The whole thing just seems strange to me. Is it a race car, or a street car? Don't get me wrong, what is there looks pretty nice. But it's going to be tough to sell.

To me it looks like someone's unfinished project. You would typically remove all the emblems and trim on a race car. This car has like 85% of the trim intact, but is missing a few pieces. So where are they? No bumpers? It would not only look better, but be easier to sell with the bumpers. Same for the interior. No headliner or carpet, which makes sense for a race car, so why leave stuff like the dimmer switch in it, or leave the door upholstery & carpet in it? No shifter boot? The whole thing just seems strange to me. Is it a race car, or a street car? Don't get me wrong, what is there looks pretty nice. But it's going to be tough to sell.

It's a race car! Pure and simple. It ran in Trans Am in 1966. It has 537 miles on the speedo.

It is a true D/Dart. The car is #33 of the 50 built. It was shipped to Ferris Miles Dodge on May 1, 1966. It is pretty much as they would have raced it in 1966. They did have to reroute the front brake lines to make it race compliant. The fuel line is also routed different then those on the original D/Darts. Wrong intake, carb and air cleaner. MSD unit is now period correct. I believe the trans is original to the car but the engine might not be.

It's been on the Mecum auction block twice in 2013 and the beginning of the month it was at the Motorstalgia's 2nd Annual Grand Prix Auction in Austin, Texas. Not sure if it sold at the auction or not. But it's in the hands of another dealer.

ddartdude, did the D-Darts run bbp wheels? Those rims are mini-lites, made for just about anything. Not knocking the authenticity of the chassis, just the little details that an auction piece would benefit from.

ddartdude, did the D-Darts run bbp wheels? Those rims are mini-lites, made for just about anything. Not knocking the authenticity of the chassis, just the little details that an auction piece would benefit from.

All D/Darts had sbp wheels. I think it did have some sort of mini-lite style rims on it when it raced in 66. I'll have to look for a photo of it and post it.

They could have done a better job painting it. The little details help sell cars. I noticed that when they painted the interior white, they painted over all of the body plugs. They also painted the the spare tire well white (under the car). It also looks like the cross member and the heater delete plate were painted white......wrong!

It mentions the msd as period correct. I know nothing
about the car but that just feels wrong to me.
Overall looks like a fun car. It likely looks better now
than when originally raced. Out of my budget anyway.
I like it. Glad someone saved it for us to see.

I'm not sure if MSD was around in 1966. From what I was told, the car was only raced for the one season.

Took a little while to find the photos of the car. It has multi-bolt pattern aluminum wheels on it. They also had hub caps.

The paint restoration............they didn't put the 72AS on the corner of the hood. Also missing is the pinstriped spear on the front fender bodyline. Plus, the "Prep by PATTNO autobody" and the name "Bob Howe" are missing. I think the name is PATTNO. Kind of hard to make out.

Also in the second photo, the car has it's rear bumper. This must have been taken when they first got the car.

The photos.............

Attachments

• 66DodgeDartwebretouch-for-w.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 564
  • 2009_08091970Cougar0007fix1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 581
Saw the car first hand in Seattle two summers ago. It was with ddartdude's white 66 D/Dart. Thought the race car was the better of the two. Dealer owned both cars. The owner told me they took the spare engine that cae with the white Dart and used that in the race car. It's my understanding that ddartdude the original 273 went with the white D/dart.
They wanted 45K for each car. That race car would meake a great Bonneville car.

As far as the body plugs, I belive SCCA allows the sealing of the plastic body plugs thus that is why they are painted.

This is a youtube video of them starting the car up when it was at Cats Exotics. I didn't know that they put the other/correct D/Dart block in the car. It was a high mileage block that needed work. Glad it went in this car and not the other one. They should have put the correct intake on the car. As far as the carb goes, they are made of unobtainium. I only know of two others in existence.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo9Jzk7g8is"]Start Up - 1966 Dodge D-Dart Lightweight Trans Am Race Car - YouTube[/ame]

Somebody needs to buy that and race the total DOG CRAP out of it.

Here's a couple shots I have.

Attachments

• DDart Trans AM.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 288
  • SC0513-153641_1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 263
It was bought at Mecum Indy and shipped to the west coast

Heard it run, sounded real healthy

The guy driving it wasn't the buyer but his buddy and didn't know how to drive a stick car that was cold natured in a crowded room. Told him if he couldn't get it out that I would drive it out of there. Think it came our of Richard Ellis collection in 2013

I didn't know the history of it before seeing it posted here. I thought it looked like a project car next to all of Richards other cars.

Not sure of the real story reguarding the purchase of the car from the original owner....but here is what I was told. Tony, the guy that bought my first D/Dart supposedly bought this car from Dick Carter back in 2000. He also told me in an email back in Jan. 2010 that he had just bought it. So you decide when he actually bought it. Anyway, Tony owned both cars for a while. I know Tony is a real good friend of Richard Ellis and I'm sure he does a lot of Ellis' car buying. Both my old D/Dart and this car made their way into the Richard Ellis Collection. Both cars have been through the Mecum, BJ, and Ebay Auctions many times.

I need some help in documenting this car............
Is anyone close to Fast Lane Classic Cars in Saint Charles, MO? I'd like to get a couple of photos of the car.
One of the numbers on top of the radiator support -- driver side
One of the numbers on the rear package shelf between the speaker hole and the backglass
One of the numbers stamped on the front of the engine block -- driver side just below the cylinder head
Tony sent me photos of the VIN and fender tags when he was buying the car, so I have them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Alan

-
Back