Checking in from Los Angeles

-

octanejunkie

Mopar Padawan
Reaction score
Evening fellas, nice place ya got here

I'm mainly a chevy guy but fell in love with a '71 Scamp so my mopar-journey begins... I take delivery of it tomorrow just in time for christmas!

I'll be building a 360 Magnum and a 318 to throw in my little valiant and not sure if I want a street machine or something worthy of 12s on the strip - oh the choices...

I am just finishing my '59 chevy pickup which was pretty much a complete sleeper restro-ration, everything fresh but nothing original, which looks stock until you pop the hood - it's good for around 350+ HP but it has yet to see the dyno so I'm still guessing on that one!

Looking forward to learning alot about Mopar and hopefully I can contribute some too... See you around the water cooler!
-mike

Here are a few pics of my new toy
Scamp_01.jpg

newfolder029.jpg

newfolder028.jpg

newfolder027.jpg

Wellcome aboard octangjunkie, looks like a nice clean/straight little prodject car you got. Yeah me and everyone else on this site have a love for our A-bodies. Oh you can dam sure make it a street machine worthy of 12's. This is the place to find out how!!!

Welcome to FABO from another SoCal member. You're going to have fun here! The best Mopar A-body info on the web. Great people here who will be happy to answer any and all questions you may have on your new toy.

Welcome... getting 12's with your car isn't tough at all. Looks to have plenty of potential, good solid car.

Welcome,

From West LA and Simi Valley here....

Looks like you have at least a drivers side 68-70 340 exhaust manifold. If there is a 68-70 340 exhaust manifold on the passenger side, they are worth $400 give or take toward a set of headers.

Spring Fling up in Van Nuys is the largest Mopar only swap meet west of the Mississippi and only 10 or so mile drive right up the 405 and the other side of the hill from you.

Does that Scamp have a 8 3/4 rear end? Some 71/72's tend to get 8 3/4 in cars you wouldn't figure they would.

First of all I have to say, this is probably the WARMEST welcome I've ever enjoyed on any web forum, ever! Thanks for making me feel so welcome

Welcome,

From West LA and Simi Valley here....

Looks like you have at least a drivers side 68-70 340 exhaust manifold. If there is a 68-70 340 exhaust manifold on the passenger side, they are worth $400 give or take toward a set of headers.

Spring Fling up in Van Nuys is the largest Mopar only swap meet west of the Mississippi and only 10 or so mile drive right up the 405 and the other side of the hill from you.

Does that Scamp have a 8 3/4 rear end? Some 71/72's tend to get 8 3/4 in cars you wouldn't figure they would.

Hey there autoxcuda, WLA to Simi is quite a stretch, how do you manage that? I am actually in Santa Monica, the car is in Van Nuys and my bodyman shooting buddy is in Thousand Oaks, I get around a bit too... YES there are two 340 manifolds installed, drivers side is funnly looking swooped up like that to clear the steering gear but what ever; the passenger side manifold looks more normal. Not sure about the rear end yet but I got a spare Dana 60 off a different A body in the deal with a posi third member, think I'll build that one. I haven't checked yet but the seller "thinks" the rear end is an 8.25" with 3.55 gears, we will find out tomorrow. I have been going to Spring Fling for over 10 years, my friend in Van Nuys live 2 block from woodley park, always love going to car shows, see you there this year?

Wellcome aboard octangjunkie, looks like a nice clean/straight little prodject car you got. Yeah me and everyone else on this site have a love for our A-bodies. Oh you can dam sure make it a street machine worthy of 12's. This is the place to find out how!!!

Thanks overrever , well I just took delivery (sounds so official) of the car today, not as straight as the pics seem to show, but the seller adjusted the price accordingly when I pointed out the dents that the pics didn't show along with a few extra rust spots I found. I am going to start a project thread, and web site, for the Scamp, it will be a proof-of-concept project for me; now I just have to decide what to do with the little bugger: street machine, strip king or somewhere in between... decisions, decisions.

Welcome aboard Mike

How's the weather on the left coast?

Honestly Tony, it has been pretty crazy here weather-wise, butt-cold in the mornings and evenings and roasting in the sun mid-day, go figure! Top that off with windy and dry, so dry the skin on your knuckles crack from bending. Welcome to So Cal I guess, but being originally from NY, I can live with the weather here just fine

Thanks to everyone else that threw in to welcome me, I appreciate the sincerity and look forward to learning a bunch, and hopefully contributing a bit too

Welcome to FABO! Always, had a soft spot in my heart for scamps. Duster front end with a dart rear end, a little different than everyone else.

A good solid rebuild with the right parts will get you solidly in the 12s. Or you could spend a little more to stroke it and put that Dana 60 to work!!

We'll be following along with your build. Got any questions? Fire away!!

First of all I have to say, this is probably the WARMEST welcome I've ever enjoyed on any web forum, ever! Thanks for making me feel so welcome

Hey there autoxcuda, WLA to Simi is quite a stretch, how do you manage that? I am actually in Santa Monica, the car is in Van Nuys and my bodyman shooting buddy is in Thousand Oaks, I get around a bit too... YES there are two 340 manifolds installed, drivers side is funnly looking swooped up like that to clear the steering gear but what ever; the passenger side manifold looks more normal. Not sure about the rear end yet but I got a spare Dana 60 off a different A body in the deal with a posi third member, think I'll build that one. I haven't checked yet but the seller "thinks" the rear end is an 8.25" with 3.55 gears, we will find out tomorrow. I have been going to Spring Fling for over 10 years, my friend in Van Nuys live 2 block from woodley park, always love going to car shows, see you there this year?

I do outside sales half the week in LA then the rest in Ventura country. I grew up in W.LA all my life; went to Uni High and John Burroughs. Parents still live there (I'm here right now). I own a place in Simi Valley now though.

I'm always at the Spring/Fall Flings. I'm the president of the Chrysler Performance West Car Club that puts on the shows.

If the rear is a 8.25 is was swapped in. But if it's original it's most likely a 7.25.

-
Back