Chevy guy with a Mopar? hmm...

-

sallad08

Reaction score
Howdy from Texas. I'm stationed at Ft. Bliss with theArmy. (Hooah!) My name is Dallas and recently purchased a '67 Dart. First car that isnt GM I've ever bought. It's by no means anything special, but it IS rust free as far as i can tell. /6 and 13" rubber. That means I can modify it without and 'purists' cringing in disgust, right? haha No clue where i really wanna go with this thing yet..I do enjoy Hemi orange cars ;) I've seen some guys on here do some pretty trick stuff to the 6's, perhaps ill leave it in for now and tinker with it? I do know I want to address the suspension and rims/tires. I'm thinking 14/15" steelies with the dog dishes and taller rubber. Power brakes/ disk brakes would be a start. This thing is a beast to stop ha. Probably go all black with silver accents in the interior. I'm a man of simplicity, not all the flashy chrome and bells and whistles. Paid $1800 for the car, hope everybody thinks I got my money's worth! I think I got a pretty good deal :)
Feel free to chime in, any and all advice is welcomed! I know cars, but I dont really know Mopars. This shall be an adventure..View attachment IMG_20131110_161920_842.jpg

View attachment IMG_20131110_161907_849.jpg

Welcome. Brakes..........If the rest of the system is properly set up, you will probably find you don't NEED power, and may not want them. Now I'm an old guy with arthritis--65, and mine has the popular 73/ later front disc conversion, and while many guys on here are successfully using various rear drum brakes, I have a Versailles rear axle with factory disc brakes, so 4 wheel discs. The factory master (manual) causes this thing to stop just FINE, and I do MEAN.

Welcome. Brakes..........If the rest of the system is properly set up, you will probably find you don't NEED power, and may not want them. Now I'm an old guy with arthritis--65, and mine has the popular 73/ later front disc conversion, and while many guys on here are successfully using various rear drum brakes, I have a Versailles rear axle with factory disc brakes, so 4 wheel discs. The factory masmater (manual) causes this thing to stop just FINE, and I do MEAN.
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'm sure I would be too impatient to wait for a new master cylinder/ brake booster after doing the disk conversion anyway. So, I will probably test this theory out and see how it stops for my afterwards...I about put myself through the windsheild after hopping back into my D/D Buick and hitting the skidders haha

Yeah, another GM guy as well. People here don't get their junk in a knot too much about brand cross pollination.

These days I'm sure their happy it's American.

Welcome.

Yeah, another GM guy as well. People here don't get their junk in a knot too much about brand cross pollination.

These days I'm sure their happy it's American.

Welcome.
Soooo...what youre saying is I can get away with stuffing an LSx/4L60e under the hood and no one would complain? haha no I would never do that. Or would I?...
Thanks for the welcome.

First, THANK YOU for your service! And welcome to the neighborhood. You're certainly in the right place to find rust free cars, but that glaring sun can be rough on paint, interiors and to a lesser extent, wiring. There's lotsa cute stuff you can do with a /6, and the kick of popping your hood to show folks it's "just a six". I would second the idea that you won't need power assist with disk brakes. Of course, if you like the way your Buick brakes it's always an option. It's your car, your money and YOUR choices.

BC

Welcome aboard and thank your for your service. If you decided to do the swap you wouldn't get any hate mail from me. There is also the new GEN III Hemi you could swap in as well. The whole point is to enjoy and have fun.

AJ

I had a friend whose parents had a 67 Dart, /6, auto, power drum brakes, that he learned to drive and get his license in. One day we were out cruising around and asked me if I wanted to take the wheel, so we stopped in a parking lot and switched sides, I get back out on the road and we're cruising along one of my towns main streets doing about 40-45 mph when a light changed ahead of us and I swear I just lightly pushed that brake pedal and locked all 4 wheels right up, I definitely wasn't expecting it and almost would of had to pick my teeth out of the steering wheel from the sudden deceleration! My friend started laughing and said "oh by the way, the brakes are 'real' touchy!"

My Duster also has drum brakes all around (Non power), It stops pretty good but haven't tried a panic type stop at highway speeds with no traffic around just to see how good they really are, I may not want to know. But with the power it has I will definitely be considering at the very least a later year disc brake conversion or a kit conversion in the front, but will most likely stick to a non power setup.

Anyway. Thank you for your service to our great country and welcome to FABO. Enjoy your newfound Mopar and all the driving pleasure it will give, and someday "GM" may become a Grotesque Memory. :p

I had a friend whose parents had a 67 Dart, /6, auto, power drum brakes, that he learned to drive and get his license in. One day we were out cruising around and asked me if I wanted to take the wheel, so we stopped in a parking lot and switched sides, I get back out on the road and we're cruising along one of my towns main streets doing about 40-45 mph when a light changed ahead of us and I swear I just lightly pushed that brake pedal and locked all 4 wheels right up, I definitely wasn't expecting it and almost would of had to pick my teeth out of the steering wheel from the sudden deceleration! My friend started laughing and said "oh by the way, the brakes are 'real' touchy!"

My Duster also has drum brakes all around (Non power), It stops pretty good but haven't tried a panic type stop at highway speeds with no traffic around just to see how good they really are, I may not want to know. But with the power it has I will definitely be considering at the very least a later year disc brake conversion or a kit conversion in the front, but will most likely stick to a non power setup.

Anyway. Thank you for your service to our great country and welcome to FABO. Enjoy your newfound Mopar and all the driving pleasure it will give, and someday "GM" may become a Grotesque Memory. :p
Wish I had that problem haha. Im looking at a whole k-member swap so brakes will be upgraded at that time. Think I'll worry about handling before I worry about power. Thanks for the welcome!

I didn't see anyone mention this but what do you want the car to do? Drag, AutoX, Pro touring, or just a nice driver?

i can help with the slant if you want some pep. and before you do anything look up LO23 Super Stock Hemi Dart's.

Attachments

• wheelsup.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN1371.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 202
I didn't see anyone mention this but what do you want the car to do? Drag, AutoX, Pro touring, or just a nice driver? i can help with the slant if you want some pep. and before you do anything look up LO23 Super Stock Hemi Dart's.
good question lol

Sure... Point out the lo23's. Lol I'm surprised you didn't point out the /6 ss

good question lol

Sure... Point out the lo23's. Lol I'm surprised you didn't point out the /6 ss

i try not to toot my own horn... to much lol :glasses7:

boy i need to get it out and get some new pics, here is a vid though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ92UCIjtfc"]First Dart Vid With New GoPro Black!! - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• 100_5167.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_4732.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 177
-
Back