china wall sealant??

-
I used black Permatex on my latest motor and was too stingy with it and ended up with a corner oozing while at the dyno. I've heard good things about "The Right Stuff" sealer and thought about trying it when I redo mine, but honestly, it was my fault it leaked, not the Permatex.

I've used Black permatex before. Probably operator error, but I always seem to have leaks of some sort. Ultra gray was recommended by Roadkill. I figured engine was on a stand so I gave the cork another(last) try lol.

I've used permatex black, gray, orange (high heat) on LA china walls all with great success. As long as the surfaces are clean and oil free, any rtv product should work fine. Nowadays, I favor the black stuff.

If I've got to get the engine back together right away, I use the end seals from the gasket kit (cork or rubber) with a little Ultra Gray or black (whatever I've got on hand that's still good- they both work well) on either side- just don't be stingy with it in the corners. If for some reason I don't have the seals, I use just the thick bead of sealant. Both ways work well, although using the seals looks neater in the long run.

Black Permatex for me. Clean and dry the walls well. Bolt the intake down and let it set overnight.

"Right Stuff".... expensive and worth it....
5-10-15,000 $ motor??... this ISN'T the place to cheap out...

New tube of Ultra grey or Right stuff, Mock up the intake and check china wall clearance, if the seals slide in, use them, if they are difficult to slide in just use a heavy bead. Verify roll pins are removed or your intake has clearance for them.

If using a heavy bead, watch for voids in the bead. It will leak.

After I glue the intake gaskets onto the heads I test fit my intake and mark the China wall with a black marker. I then look to see how high I’m off the wall so I know how big of a gap I have to fill so I can lay down a nice bead. If I’m at the track and don’t have 24 hours Right Stuff come with a quicker drying option. I keep Laquire thinner around to wipe down everything and get it oil free. As I set it down I keep my eye on my black mark and lower it into place.

Right Stuff for me. Bought some cork/rubber Fel-Pro gasket sheets in different thicknesses, traced out the gaskets with the thickness I needed and layed them down with some Right Stuff. No leaks. I hate oil leaks and so far this has worked the best for me.

so the right stuff only comes in one flavor?

1708618433692.png

When my son was racing too and I did a shorter rebuild maintenance program I used to buy my black silicone in a caulking tube. But with just me racing now and 3-5 years on rebuilds it no longer pays to do that.

I use black RTV, the store brand. I don't use the right stuff, because I want to get the intake back off without breaking it.

-
Back