china wall sealant??

-
I've always had intake oil leaks and tried several different ways. Maybe it's my skill set? Lol :BangHead:
And I gotta feeling I messed up my most recent one. Hopefully I can get run stand built and address any issues prior to install..

I've always had intake oil leaks and tried several different ways. Maybe it's my skill set? Lol :BangHead:
And I gotta feeling I messed up my most recent one. Hopefully I can get run stand built and address any issues prior to install.

If you were closer I’d give you my run in stand. It’s home made but it works.

A lotta customer oil leaks were caused by goop .
If all gasket surfaces are properly clean, tin surfaces ( pans, valve covers, etc) with volcano cones where fasteners have distorted the metal, - pound them flat.
Factories didn't use goop, in fact, silicon has a very low Cofriction, and if the " bond" to whatever surface breaks cuz someone goes around "snugging" pan bolts, will very likely break that bond/seal to whatever surface, squeeze out, or turn to jelly, and leak.
GM tried using silicon (GMS), orange ****, turned into one of the biggest recalls GM ever had.
Replacing the silicon goop on trans pans. Oil pans, valve covers, everything gooped got a replacement gasket.
3M weatherstrip glue ( contact cement ) to hold gasket in place, pea size dab Right Stuff where gaskets meet/overlap.
That's it.
Smear silicon on each side of the gasket, watch it squeeze out.

Felpro brought out a gskt set to use with alum manifolds with the cork end gaskets 1/2? as thick as the originals that folks found too thick.
These gskts are also easily trimmed with an zacto knife to match ports.
Use these proper gskts insteada chugging a maybe in-adequate bead of jelly, if properly placed without pins.
Folks here now are re-doing the silicon china walls.
Tossed all my "RTV" in the trash.
With Right Stuff, chugging a huge bead isn't nec.
Good luck .

P.S. we has a thread here not long ago about low oil pressure.
The oil pick-up screen was full of pieces of goop !
This is the biggest crock of chit I have seen in recent days on this forum. If people are slobs with RTV it isn't the RTVs fault...RTV comes in al kinds of colors and compositions for a reason it isn't just for the fun of it...

Last edited:
Maybe we could get a discussion started on spark plug gapping? LOL

Tom

I like a nice .037.... if i get down to .035.. just nope, less response and not happy.. that of course is with autolites, if you are going with NGK or whatever.. do as you like :)

Maybe we could get a discussion started on spark plug gapping? LOL

Tom

I thought we had one going. Pinion angles is where I need help. I have it 25 degrees nose up and it’s still not right. One question I’ve always had is I think my spark should be hotter. I don’t want to hurt anything but if I went from black to red spark plug wires would I burn a piston.

What about should I build a 318 with 360 heads thread? Those are always productive discussions....

I thought we had one going. Pinion angles is where I need help. I have it 25 degrees nose up and it’s still not right. One question I’ve always had is I think my spark should be hotter. I don’t want to hurt anything but if I went from black to red spark plug wires would I burn a piston.

Yeah those red wires are murder on pistons.

360 heads on a 318 only make a low compression problem even worse, the absolute last thing you'd want if your goal is a power increase.

360 heads on a 318 only make a low compression problem even worse, the absolute last thing you'd want if your goal is a power increase.
How about a '73 318 with 360 heads . 054 inch head gaskets stock pistons with headers? Asking for a friend....

But by all means carry on lets keep kicking the dead horse. Maybe someone will start threatening someone else and thread gets locked like in other threads.
thread isn't over until personal insults and threats of physical violence show up.

me want justice. me want thunderdome.

anyway, i see the rabid defense of certain practices as:
> i've done it this way for 40 years, why should i change?
> i did it this way once and all i had was problems, never again!
> so and so said to/not to do it this way.
> my cousins-friends-girlfriend from the piggly-wiggly her boyfriend [insert anecdotal evidence here]

there's no "more better-er way" or the "correct" way. the answer is: are you comfortable with the work, is it sealed properly and does it not interfere with other components. if the answer to all three meets your satisfaction then it's done right.

Speaking of heads have you guys seen the cast iron heads Indy is now selling. Five sets sold so far. I used to bring info like this over here but look under Indy on Facebook

IMG_1797.jpeg

IMG_1796.jpeg

A lotta customer oil leaks were caused by goop .
If all gasket surfaces are properly clean, tin surfaces ( pans, valve covers, etc) with volcano cones where fasteners have distorted the metal, - pound them flat.
Factories didn't use goop, in fact, silicon has a very low Cofriction, and if the " bond" to whatever surface breaks cuz someone goes around "snugging" pan bolts, will very likely break that bond/seal to whatever surface, squeeze out, or turn to jelly, and leak.
GM tried using silicon (GMS), orange ****, turned into one of the biggest recalls GM ever had.
Replacing the silicon goop on trans pans. Oil pans, valve covers, everything gooped got a replacement gasket.
3M weatherstrip glue ( contact cement ) to hold gasket in place, pea size dab Right Stuff where gaskets meet/overlap.
That's it.
Smear silicon on each side of the gasket, watch it squeeze out.

Felpro brought out a gskt set to use with alum manifolds with the cork end gaskets 1/2? as thick as the originals that folks found too thick.
These gskts are also easily trimmed with an zacto knife to match ports.
Use these proper gskts insteada chugging a maybe in-adequate bead of jelly, if properly placed without pins.
Folks here now are re-doing the silicon china walls.
Tossed all my "RTV" in the trash.
With Right Stuff, chugging a huge bead isn't nec.
Good luck .

P.S. we has a thread here not long ago about low oil pressure.
The oil pick-up screen was full of pieces of goop !
Yes they used goop. They've been using goop for a very long time. We've been discussing FORD GREY the entire thread. GM used black as well as Chrysler. The RTV worked so well that you started seeing silicone one piece gaskets popping up FROM THE FACTORY. So yeah, they've been using it a while.

I like a nice .037.... if i get down to .035.. just nope, less response and not happy.. that of course is with autolites, if you are going with NGK or whatever.. do as you like :)
I prefer side gapping at .145" lol

Yes they used goop. They've been using goop for a very long time. We've been discussing FORD GREY the entire thread. GM used black as well as Chrysler. The RTV worked so well that you started seeing silicone one piece gaskets popping up FROM THE FACTORY. So yeah, they've been using it a while.
Tremec uses goop in between trans housings, T5s, T56s etc right? Like when I install shifter on a tremec do I use a gasket? Nope bead of goop bolt shifter down no leaks. If I don't ever want shifter to ever come off Right Stuff....

-
Back