Christmas toys you'll never see again

-
When I was 6 years old and went to a private church and school, we had a Halloween festival and I went as a cop. My dad at the time was a Tampa Police officer then. I had a real 38 revolver in my holster while in my cop costume. I really don't see how we survived to live this long!

Remember Tether Cars?

Vintage-Tether-Car.jpg

Anyone remember the Hot Wheels factory? Made the whole house smell like burning plastic...and serious high temperatures made burns inevitable. Try letting kids play with molten plastic these days, LOL!

DDC6ABA1-78E1-4882-9D0D-FE8747F96953.jpeg

56EEF609-D34D-4DD4-A4AB-EB5A61294086.jpeg

723C11B9-4721-44DE-811B-0D569244E72B.jpeg

031718E5-D65A-45FE-B6DD-DEAA283EF562.jpeg

Blast from the past...I knew I had an old family photo of me with that Johnny Service set somewhere.

1FF7E9A7-340A-48E7-AC44-34BF54A63450.jpeg

Train sets.

I still have my Lionel train set that I got for Christmas when I was 3 years old (my dad was an engineer for Union Pacific - "my" train got a lot of use by him until I was a couple of years older).

Tinsel???? That is an old pic!! But Cool!!!
Yep, and construction paper ring chains on the tree for decoration too! That was Christmas 1968.

Note that the tree is sitting in a plastic wash bucket.

YEA!! I haven't seen Encyclopedias in forever!!:rofl:
And they were sitting on a bookshelf made from 1”x 6” stained boards propped up with bricks. I think at that point my parents still had 28 “easy” payments left to make on those Encyclopedias. They were a prized family possession and a rare luxury that my Father sacrificed money on to help educate me and my 3 sisters.

We were living in a 100 year old unheated farm house in Keswick VA in those days. $50 per month since the land was being farmed by a share cropper, and the house was a rat hole that nobody wanted to live in. We cut that Christmas tree down from the edge of the field next to the farm land. The toys were gifts from the local church...my Father couldn’t afford such things back then.

And they were sitting on a bookshelf made from 1”x 6” stained boards propped up with bricks. I think at that point my parents still had 28 “easy” payments left to make on those Encyclopedias. They were a prized family possession and a rare luxury that my Father sacrificed money on to help educate me and my 3 sisters.

We were living in a 100 year old unheated farm house in Keswick VA in those days. $50 per month since the land was being farmed by a share cropper, and the house was a rat hole that nobody wanted to live in. We cut that Christmas tree down from the edge of the field next to the farm land. The toys were gifts from the local church...my Father couldn’t afford such things back then.
Don't feel too bad....when my kids were real young we also made a bookshelf out of cinder blocks standing on end with 2 X 4s and 2 X 6s for the shelves. We had a used set of Encyclopedias....think the boys used them 2 times in their life??? At least you had a real tree...I remember one year when I got layed off from work we had to decorate a house plant with ornaments, to this day we call it the "Charlie Brown Christmas"!!! BUT!!!! We were happy!!

Don't feel too bad....when my kids were real young we also made a bookshelf out of cinder blocks standing on end with 2 X 4s and 2 X 6s for the shelves. We had a used set of Encyclopedias....think the boys used them 2 times in their life??? At least you had a real tree...I remember one year when I got layed off from work we had to decorate a house plant with ornaments, to this day we call it the "Charlie Brown Christmas"!!! BUT!!!! We were happy!!
Yep, happy memories that taught me to share with others, appreciate all I have, and work hard to make a brighter future...just like my Dad did.

This eventually turned into a battery operated Raymond Bedele Blue Max funny car
vintage-1969-remco-toy-dune-buggy_1_676aed9875ebd1508380f7eb6604b417.jpg

Last edited:
Don't remember what they were called. One year my two cousins and myself got pump action ball shooting guns. These shot ping pong sized balls by air pressure, generated when you vigorously pulled back the pump slide. This might be it, found photo on egag

ping.jpg

I still have my Johnny Express and a few of the accessories. It's not in very good shape but could be fixed up.

I can’t tell you how many 100’s of games we played on table top hockey games. Our entire family would spend 2 weeks at our grandparents house over Christmas, and we would have tournaments on these things, including playoffs and a Stanley cup playoff. My uncles was a goalie and we all loved hockey, so we played those game all the time.

650DF3EC-0E6D-4511-BF70-2D3080891FC6.png

One of my favorite toys as a kid were my smash up derby cars. I would play with this for hours at a time...

Last edited:
-
Back