Chromoly K Member

-
So its sounds like several of you have spoken with troy and discussed some your specific needs. So what are the early numbers being tossed around in your discussions on one of the tubular k-frames? I completely understand that cost may be dictated by ones needs, but I think we are all wondering a ball park price range?

So its sounds like several of you have spoken with troy and discussed some your specific needs. So what are the early numbers being tossed around in your discussions on one of the tubular k-frames? I completely understand that cost may be dictated by ones needs, but I think we are all wondering a ball park price range?

I don't think anyone has gotten a ballpark, as everyone has different needs. For example, I already have coilovers, and tubular uppers. I also don't need motor mounts. The next guy may.... Also, this whole thing kinda caught him off guard. The interest was well beyond what he was expecting. I spoke with him for quite a while, and he seems confident in his product. He has driven one on the street enough to say it handles better than stock. His lower ball joint adapter is what cures the normal problems with Ackerman/bumpsteer. His system isn't based off anything Mopar, so he says it doesn't have alot of the problems many who have tried to convert one have experienced.

He can also save cost by making these in other than Chromoly.

Yeah nailing down a price point is going to take a bit. There are many factors that will drive the price point but they will be very affordable for most.

I would be more concerned w/ ackerman(not to mention bumpsteer)...the inside wheel/tire turns more than the outside wheel/tire....kinda important on a street driven car...I'll bet dollars to doughnuts(I like glazed) this set-up still turns the outside wheel/tire more than the inside...how do I know??? I built a set-up similiar in '95....I'll even double down on the bump steer issue(does addressed mean solved?).....don't get me wrong...I love the effort!

I'd have to agree with you. The Steering arms looks to be inline with the LBJ. If this is the case ackerman is not solved....

Excuse me for perhaps being over inquisitive,but maybe if he could provide figures for-
camber gain in braking
camber gain in roll
Ackerman per degree of turning(say per 5 degrees for simplicity)
any torsional stress calcs/awareness
Bump steer figures
I'm sure he'd be on to a winner right away.

It looks like a nice bit of work,but without the benefit of some figures,he's fighting an uphill battle.
Good luck to him with it,I hope it works out,but in the absence of any definitive benefits,why would people purchase his product?
There must surely be a calculable and demonstrable advantage to purchase demonstrated to the consumer,otherwise it's merely a shiny bauble to point at.

I'll qualify these comments by stating that I've done some circuit racing/rallying and a fair amount of set up work,so I'm not entirely unaware of what it takes to make a car handle.
If,on the other hand,these parts are purely for drag racing,please feel free to disregard my comments,it's a field I have no experience of.
Regards
John

I too am interested to hear how this compares to the factory or beefed up factory suspension regarding geometry figures and durability in long term road or hard core road race application if applicable at all. Sure does look sweet.

Well since I'm in a real pissy mood, I'm gonna take it out on here.

Ya just gotta love all the f***tard naysayers. Apparently some have figured it out for yourself and RMS has it figured out too. There were tons of naysayers about RMS until the article came out in Mopar Muscle (I think) and then people finally shut up about Bill's product.

Some apparently think the builder doesn't know what the f*** he's doing. At least it comes across that way. Maybe he's done some measuring and maybe he hasn't done it yet. And if the measurements aren't there, he's got some tweaking and finessing to do. It's called R & D!!! I worked in high tech for 10 years so I know all about prototypes and how things progress until the final product is ready to for mass production and all the revisions in between.

Man the way some of you think is just why some things never get accomplished. Isn't free thinking and doing, what your great country was founded on? There's more than one way to skin a f***ing cat. If everyone thought your way there would probably be only one car manufacturer in the world with only one model to sell. After all someone already figured it out so no one else has to. Let's all drive the same plain vanilla car. Diversity is the spice of life.

I say to the builder - keep at it and show these sumb*tches what's what.

Wylde1.

PS. I'm in a pissy mood 'cause I've been having severe asthma attacks for 2 weeks now and nothing's helping me breathe. *gasp*gasp*

Well since I'm in a real pissy mood, I'm gonna take it out on here.

Ya just gotta love all the f***tard naysayers. Apparently some have figured it out for yourself and RMS has it figured out too. There were tons of naysayers about RMS until the article came out in Mopar Muscle (I think) and then people finally shut up about Bill's product.

Some apparently think the builder doesn't know what the f*** he's doing. At least it comes across that way. Maybe he's done some measuring and maybe he hasn't done it yet. And if the measurements aren't there, he's got some tweaking and finessing to do. It's called R & D!!! I worked in high tech for 10 years so I know all about prototypes and how things progress until the final product is ready to for mass production and all the revisions in between.

Man the way some of you think is just why some things never get accomplished. Isn't free thinking and doing, what your great country was founded on? There's more than one way to skin a f***ing cat. If everyone thought your way there would probably be only one car manufacturer in the world with only one model to sell. After all someone already figured it out so no one else has to. Let's all drive the same plain vanilla car. Diversity is the spice of life.

I say to the builder - keep at it and show these sumb*tches what's what.

Wylde1.

PS. I'm in a pissy mood 'cause I've been having severe asthma attacks for 2 weeks now and nothing's helping me breathe. *gasp*gasp*

Your in a pissy mood because your from Canada! ;-) Some of those questions are valid dude. A front end that reduces weight for the 1320 is a great thing. Driving every day in Western PA is a totally different thing.

Your in a pissy mood because your from Canada! ;-)

And it's been cold enough that the brass monkey is missing some of his anatomy.

A front end that reduces weight for the 1420 is a great thing. Driving every day in Western PA is a totally different thing.

And his can't be built strong enough? Again, R & D should take care of things. I'll give him a chance. Maybe I'm just not cynical (sp) enough.

Wylde1.

I love you Canucks....just so ya know...brass monkeys were made of brass(so the steel cannonballs would not stick/rust to them) and keep the cannonballs stacked and from rolling around,but because the brass shrunk so much faster than the steel cannonballs the cannonballs would scatter,...hence the phrase..cold enough to freeze the (cannon)balls off the brass monkey....had nothin' to do with those hairy little fellers...although I'm sure they like to keep their balls warm too......History 101...and you thought I was just a pretty face didn't you?

SSSHHHHH...don't tell HemiMark its 1320..I need the extra 100ft to get around him on the big end...that 2-counten' SOB

SSSHHHHH...don't tell HemiMark its 1320..I need the extra 100ft to get around him on the big end...that 2-counten' SOB

The extra 100 ft is where the beer vendor is located...... I'll be waiting there after the tilt! 1-2-oops!

I love you Canucks....just so ya know...brass monkeys were made of brass(so the steel cannonballs would not stick/rust to them) and keep the cannonballs stacked and from rolling around,but because the brass shrunk so much faster than the steel cannonballs the cannonballs would scatter,...hence the phrase..cold enough to freeze the (cannon)balls off the brass monkey....had nothin' to do with those hairy little fellers...although I'm sure they like to keep their balls warm too......History 101...and you thought I was just a pretty face didn't you?

one of the funniest post I have read in a while...... lol

Ok after a quick lesson in "terminology" Tory showed me that his product is indeed double sheared. If you look at the picture You can see that: A) the ear or that the steering rod is connected to is at un upward angle and B) It's been reinforced or "double sheared" by a angle gusset. He also she that if the customer wanted he could add another gusset on the bottom portion of the bracket.
That is not double shear, as it was explained to me by my fab buddy.....

double shear
9-3.gif

Single shear
9-4.gif

The steering arm on this rack is definitely single shear. I don't believe I've seen a steering arm in double shear. Maybe it seems more significant here because the steering arms I've seen are cast into the spindle. Just a thought.

The only thing I see that would be an issue is ackerman because of the location relationship of the ball joint and the tie rod. A picture from the top looking down would clear that up, but if I were buying a k-member I would still want to see the numbers along with camber, caster, toe, RC height/migration, scrub, etc. I would want this from anybody, RMS, MagnumForce, or any others, and that's only because I'm reworking my front now and am learning all about this fun stuff.

you learn well,grasshopper......for a big dude,you sure are bright!.....but,I still think someone(s) should take away that plasma cutter...jusy sayin'

While this unit looks neat, I seriously doubt it would be any improvement over a factory suspension. Those rod ends would take a beating in the real world on the street, the inner fenders are not designed to support the weight of the car, even with a "peice added" , and he may want to pick a castle nut that the cotter key actually FITS into the slot. I see no steering limit stops, to bad when you hit a curb while turning, and no travel bump stops either. I would be suprised if that thing lasts a year in normal street driving, just my opinion. It does however, look pretty cool. And provides more clearance too.

While this unit looks neat, I seriously doubt it would be any improvement over a factory suspension. Those rod ends would take a beating in the real world on the street, the inner fenders are not designed to support the weight of the car, even with a "peice added" , and he may want to pick a castle nut that the cotter key actually FITS into the slot. I see no steering limit stops, to bad when you hit a curb while turning, and no travel bump stops either. I would be suprised if that thing lasts a year in normal street driving, just my opinion. It does however, look pretty cool. And provides more clearance too.

Steering stops "may" not be needed and alot of coil-overs these days have bump stops built into them, i.e. RideTech. They are still recommended, but not an absolute necessity. From pictures I've seen (don't have one personally) I also don't recall seeing steering or bump stops on the AlterK. They may be there, I just haven't noticed them in pictures. Just saying...

you learn well,grasshopper......for a big dude,you sure are bright!.....but,I still think someone(s) should take away that plasma cutter...jusy sayin'

Bright as one of those "barely providing light" screw in flourescent bulbs... I think I did inhale a bit too much smoke from the P.C., but it sure was fun...

-
Back