chrysler hei conversion

-

Charlie's Dart

Reaction score
OK guys I bought an electronic distributor for my 69 dart with a 340 , also got a Delco electronic module (hei) and mounted it on the bottom of the distributor . I know the 2 wires from the dist. plug into the module and the other side plugs into the coil but my coil only has 1 terminal , what do I do ? And are the wires that plug from dist into the module reversible ?

you have to have a positive and negative terminal on the coil. and no the dist to module wires can not be reversed.

Never seen a 1 terminal coil. Most are 3 terminals - coil+, coil-, HV post. I did get an E-core coil recently in a box of parts that has two 2 terminal plugs on the low side. Poking on ebay, I think it is GM. It might have an igniter built-in.

scan0001.jpg

Wow thanx guys now I can get her running this week ! Im really excited because my little 340 ran pretty good with that old worn out distributor , can't wait to see how it'll run now plus I'll get to tune out the Holley .

got a Delco electronic module (hei) and mounted it on the bottom of the distributor ..................... And are the wires that plug from dist into the module reversible ?

I don't like the sounds of your mounting. The module must be mounted on a FLAT surface with heat sink compound/ thermal grease to dissipate heat. I just mounted mine of the firewall to the passenger side of the wiper, as someone had previously mounted the ECU conversion there, and there was already 1 useable screw hole.

And as AbodyJoe posted, polarity of the pickup coil DOES matter. If you get it wrong, rotor phasing will be way off.

I had a friend at a machine shop fabricate an aluminum flat mounting pad for the ecm on the bottom side of the distributor , very much like the one sold over the net .
Thats why I was asking about the wiring too. Thanx for the reply

-
Back