Circuit Board Connector Pin Broke

-

Rod 69 Cuda

Reaction score
A67CF140-7C74-4D22-8313-E7005F4FA82F.jpeg
A connector pin broke on my circuit board, see red circle. Can I strip the orange wire from the bulk plug in and connect it to the post I have circled in blue? If not, are there any other solutions? Please help.

That isn't where a orange wire goes. That is a gauge sender wire. Oil or temp? Gray or voilet/purple?
The post that orange wire goes on can't be seen under your red circle drawing.
Put a ring terminal on that wire. Attach it on top of the speedy nut with a toothed washer and hex nut just like those on your amp gauge. It's #10-32. Any hardware store should have. Home Depot, etc.. will have 4 to 10 count in small packages.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. Sorry, yes, it is the violet wire. So it sounds like I can connect it to the post I circled in blue? Thanks for the technical details.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, yes, it is the violet wire. So it sounds like I can connect it to the post I circled in blue? Thanks for the technical details.
Yes sir. If you want to make it a little easier to deal with... cut the wire again a couple inches from your ring terminal to put in male/female spade terminals so it unplugs like everything else, except for the amp gauge of course.

It is more common to have multiple bent or broken pins and most of them do serve lamp sockets. So pin repair is more common and practical.
For the few wires that serve gauges... Threaded studs on the gauges provide alternative method.

Yes, the new pins are the same diameter as originals. However, they are far better quality than what was used by mopar. They also crimp much stronger so its a better repair than when new.

Were ring terminals or oem terminals used for the mating harness?
I'm thinking of adding an extension to the circuit board harness'.
I broke 3 pins off years ago. I put in a tiny screw and nut to replace the pins. It worked great.

Yep, I did the same, but for all the pins to the round plug, and worked great.

Does that fit my 67 barracuda dash? Whatcha looking to get for that puppy and where is it from?

Still want to know how @MoparMike1974 accomplished that post job. I'm on the verge of trying to solder ( melt) mine.

I'm on the verge of trying to solder ( melt) mine.
The pins must be mechanically attached, braded or otherwise, to the board. If you only solder the pin to the copper trace, next time the harness connector is pulled the soldered pin will peel the copper trace off of the board.

Heres style you need. Also if you want to go new. MrHeaterbox/premium dash decals sells them. Not sure of mfg.
Mr Heaterbox is here in Ontario.

20201204_100250.jpg

The pins are swaged in using a manual press with the special dies for these pins. One of my circuit boards I produced used the same pins so I had the dies already. The pins that are available now are MUCH better quality than what mopar used.

where do you get those pins?

Mouser electronics. But, you need the special dies and a press to install them correctly.

Thanks.

What are they called on that site?

I use an expanded cotter pin to hold the old cleaned pin in place, from the back, - then carefully solder the pin back to the board
No drama ..

-
Back