City wide outage

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Worst weather I've ever witnessed. Made for an interesting day at the plant.:BangHead:
No damage at home, BUT LOTS elsewhere. This is on my short drive home from work.

20220521_200902.jpg

20220521_200935.jpg

20220521_200841.jpg

20220521_200702.jpg

20220521_200522.jpg

20220521_200514.jpg

20220521_200508.jpg

I bought a generator and wired the house up for it a few years ago (pulled permits and everything)

That pretty much put an end to the poweroutages, ive gotten to fire it up and use it once

We got a few at work none at home. Wife went to Canadian tire, the only.one open in town...all sold out. It's long weekend for us Canucks and yard sale season. A big annual one was going. The wife saw an ambulance at it. Tents, big ones destroyed. Hopefully get one tomorrow.
The pics I posted are all within 500' of each other. LOTS more everywhere. Check out, Google "Hydro one power outage map" for Ontario. Pretty big area. We're near Peterborough.
WOW!! You got'z yourself a genset?

we had a wind 'event' happen and there was a 1 mile stretch of Navy power poles all flattened in the same direction. Not sure of one snapped and took the whole mile with it or what. From my perspective, they were pretty flimsy looking poles to begin with. Maybe 8", not the Edison 15's + I climb. Those snapped poles are scary looking

That's crazy Steve. Saw it on the news. It never made it up here to North Bay. Hope everyone is doing Ok.

Most areas around here have moved away from overhead electricity/lines and I'm a big fan of underground utilities it cleans uplook up a neighborhood so much without electrical lines going every direction or laying on the ground after a storm event. We have so many trees in this area that storm events can take weeks and sometimes a month to get utilities back online where overhead lines are still present.

Most areas around here have moved away from overhead electricity/lines and I'm a big fan of underground utilities it cleans uplook up a neighborhood so much without electrical lines going every direction or laying on the ground after a storm event. We have so many trees in this area that storm events can take weeks and sometimes a month to get utilities back online where overhead lines are still present.

There’s a cost to everything and underground lines cost a minimum of 5 times (per mile or km) more than overhead. Yes, reliability of underground lines is higher but your monthly bills will be higher for that additional reliability.

There’s a cost to everything and underground lines cost a minimum of 5 times (per mile or km) more than overhead. Yes, reliability of underground lines is higher but your monthly bills will be higher for that additional reliability.
Yeah I totally get that. And if you only have outages or storm events that pull down lines and brake poles every 10 years it may not be worth it. But the price of crews working 24 hours in hazardous condition sawing trees and limbs out of down the power lines Mass it outages etc etc it's a pay me now or pay me later deal, and to never have to worry about that again driving over a down power line or having one in your front yard to me makes it totally worth it.

we had a wind 'event' happen and there was a 1 mile stretch of Navy power poles all flattened in the same direction. Not sure of one snapped and took the whole mile with it or what. From my perspective, they were pretty flimsy looking poles to begin with. Maybe 8", not the Edison 15's + I climb. Those snapped poles are scary looking

We had one of those at Vandenberg AFB. Drove past the guard shack and it was dark, down the road a mile or so a half dozen poles laying on the ground :realcrazy: "Ah Man! I'll have to listen to that frickin' Cat all day." We heard rumors about VAFB's base power issues long before we got there and had a big Cat genset next to the concrete plant. I see little sparks on the power line insulators on the drive in to work, warm up the generator :lol:.

Worst weather I've ever witnessed...........
Good to hear your all OK. Sorry your area got zapped. Hope they get ya'll powered up again quickly.
I saw your post and it queued me to GOMA, blow a couple yearly layers of dust off my generator, and crank it up this AM.

Thanks guys, yeah we are good, altho no power. More an inconvenience than anything. I cant believe how quick it was, probably 10-20 minutes? I tell ya, I was pooping in my work recliner as it ripped thru lol. The winds literally went from 15-20 mph up to I bet over 100 in a matter of a minute or 2. We are lucky where we are that we dont get the devastating weather that coastal areas or tornado alley in US.
We are thankful for that. AND that Lori is on her way with our grandson to pickup an inverter/genset.
In my opinion I'll take overhead vs underground. The amount of **** people bury(outta sight outta mind) is ridiculous.
Heres pics of our CAT genset at the plant.
Yeah I totally get that. And if you only have outages or storm events that pull down lines and brake poles every 10 years it may not be worth it. But the price of crews working 24 hours in hazardous condition sawing trees and limbs out of down the power lines Mass it outages etc etc it's a pay me now or pay me later deal, and to never have to worry about that again driving over a down power line or having one in your front yard to me makes it totally worth it.

20220522_150950.jpg

20220522_151007.jpg

Back in my electrical contracting days I installed several of those big CAT generators in hospitals and prisons and whatnot. Timed out all the transfer switches. Was a cool gig.
Remember Y2K? Can't count how many small gens I installed the 3 previous years in houses and small businesses.

I've repaired a lot of stuff that looked like that in the last 44 years! :eek: Every one of those poles looked like they snapped at a bolt hole below the power lines. Probably at a bolt holding telephone or CATV. The pole in the first pic was probably standing in a ditch line and leaned over at the bottom when the dirt bank broke away. Hopefully, some of the top-notch linemen from Holland Services will show up to help fix it. That's a power line contractor in Canada, and they have come south to help us many times during hurricane season. They all speak French, and I couldn't understand a word they said! I told one of them my name was Jack, but they could call me Jacque if they wanted to. From then on, every time I showed up to check on them or see if they needed anything, I got serenaded with Frer a Jacque uh....or whatever that song is, lol. :BangHead: Hope you get power back soon.

Im all for underground power but underground telecom sucks! If its new, great. If its old and the access is behind everyone's home in a backyard? F that. People dig pools without calling USA (utility line markers) they place mailboxes, fences, plant F'n palm trees, run hardscape 36" on top the vaults...are you kidding? NO> seen every one of them 10 fold. And when they get wet...they stay wet. They both have their weakness but aerial is easy to maintain, troubleshoot and replace. Direct buried utilities are thee dumbest things I've come across. What happens in a flood? Ill tell you the aerial is usually damage free 'cept the power disconnects.

-
Back