Clarification on 73+ brakes

-

evans68cuda

Reaction score
my 68 barracuda is originally a 4 wheel drum car and i was wondering if i can use the original distribution block (near the steering box), and if not what to get. Also I have read forums where people say to flip the calipers so they do not interfere with the sway bar but cannot find a definite solution. I have mine facing the back with the bleeder up. Thanks everyone!

You may or may not need a proportioning valve it depends on the overall setup and what tires you run, wheel cylinder/ brake size, etc, etc.

You can use the original block which should also be the warning light switch.

I'm using Versailles rear disc with mine, and even used my same master.........just poked nails through the residual valve rubbers at the master fittings

I see nothing wrong with the description of your caliper mount, you will need longer hoses. Someone posted the other day?? 69 camaro?? hoses, otherwise use Volare hoses

I posted 69 Camaro hoses. Got that directly from Cass at Dr Diff. Bought a set & they work perfectly.

You may or may not need a proportioning valve it depends on the overall setup and what tires you run, wheel cylinder/ brake size, etc, etc.

You can use the original block which should also be the warning light switch.

I'm using Versailles rear disc with mine, and even used my same master.........just poked nails through the residual valve rubbers at the master fittings

I see nothing wrong with the description of your caliper mount, you will need longer hoses. Someone posted the other day?? 69 camaro?? hoses, otherwise use Volare hoses

What about the residual valve for the rear drums? They are stock a body 8 3/4 drums that I am getting moser bbp axles for and re drilling the drums. A

Ask for 69 Camaro with 396 & disk brakes. Lines are 15.6 inchs long. They will be spot on perfect.

I have a '67 Barracuda. I upgraded to '73 + Disk. I flipped the disks towards the front of my car. It has a front sway bar, no clearence issues. I used my original distribution block, mine originally came with KH disks.

Picture is only mock up for me currently. But you get the idea.

20170620_114350.jpg

I have a '67 Barracuda. I upgraded to '73 + Disk. I flipped the disks towards the front of my car. It has a front sway bar, no clearence issues. I used my original distribution block, mine originally came with KH disks.

How did you do that? Wouldn't that also flip the bleeder to be below the caliper hose?

What about the residual valve for the rear drums? They are stock a body 8 3/4 drums that I am getting moser bbp axles for and re drilling the drums. A

Just remove or pop the residual for the fronts, that simple. Your master may not be optimal bore for "best foot." Again, mine was a gamble, 4w disk

Just remove or pop the residual for the fronts, that simple. Your master may not be optimal bore for "best foot." Again, mine was a gamble, 4w disk
I have a new master cylinder that came with the kit, not sure if it comes with the valves built in the front or not. if not hopefully I can swap one in.

also do the 73+ brakes stick out farther? I am planning on running a 17x7 wheel with 4" of backspace and a 215 50 17 tire.

A few owner have found they could simply attach the sway bar below the lower arm clips instead of above using shorter end link kits. This resolved the sway bar caliper conflict issue and allows correct hoses for 73 model disc brakes.
And yes the disc swap track width is a tad wider. 3/4 inch total or per side? I forget.

If you have a factory sway bar mount them to the calipers to the rear, this requires swapping the spindles side to side and the calipers to match so the bleeder is up. Also check your lower ball joints for stops, they may need need ground down, so compare them to the ones you remove.

A few owner have found they could simply attach the sway bar below the lower arm clips instead of above using shorter end link kits. This resolved the sway bar caliper conflict issue and allows correct hoses for 73 model disc brakes.
And yes the disc swap track width is a tad wider. 3/4 inch total or per side? I forget.
Do you have a part number for these end links? and possibly a picture too?

Yes, can use distribution block. 1968 should have separate F & R circuits, both w/ 3/16" tubing which matches any later MC's. 1966 and earlier cars can too, but more fittings needed. Yours also probably has an "imbalance switch", which you can keep (my 1969 Dart did). Just add an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake tubing and adjust so the fronts skid just before the rears in a wet parking lot. Might want to plumb it up higher, out of the mud & rust zone.

Do you have a part number for these end links? and possibly a picture too?
No sir but I think the end link kits are those for/from the 73 and later sway bar ( It lands at a different clip location on the lower arm and uses a shorter link ). The only difference in any end link kit is the length of the center piece of tubing and through bolt.
This parts arrangement appeared here in similar threads. Pics were posted. Center piece appeared to be approx' 2 inches.

also do the 73+ brakes stick out farther? I am planning on running a 17x7 wheel with 4" of backspace and a 215 50 17 tire.

Yes, the 73+ disks stick out further. A 17x7 with 4" of backspace and a 215/50/17 tire should fit because you've got a Barracuda, but it will be close enough that you might have to make a few adjustments to things like the lower fender corner to bumper braces, etc. You wouldn't be able to go any wider than that. 4.25" of backspace would be a heck of a lot better.

You can put the calipers to the front or back, but you also have to swap the spindles side to side so the bleeder stays in the right spot if you do that.

-
Back