Classic Auto Air update 3/28/2024

-
If this kit involved the alternator I would want the 2 belt setup as well.
The belt that came with mine seems kind of soft.
I’ll probably have to get a better one. (Gates)
I got ac compressor brackets from hemi Denny mounts compressor where ps pump is and then use a gen 2 ps pump cool setup

I have the same setup you do, I didn't charge it yet, but mine has held vacuum since November so I don't expect problems so long as the compressor can build pressure
1711999384822.png

I did drive the car with the belts setup this way and they seem fine -> I didn't turn a ton of RPM yet but it made a 20 mile drive. I didn't have to shim anything, but I did spend a lot of time making the 4th mount for the compressor and remaking some things around it. I also had to make a bracket for the water valve, an extra one for the under dash box, completely different vents, a 3D printed tube to get the vent hose to the driver's side, extended all the wiring, and modify the glovebox, but we're basically there.

All in this thread: Classic auto air install 1970 Duster with 340 and Edebrock Super Victor EFI Manifold

I have the same setup you do, I didn't charge it yet, but mine has held vacuum since November so I don't expect problems so long as the compressor can build pressure
View attachment 1716230096
I did drive the car with the belts setup this way and they seem fine -> I didn't turn a ton of RPM yet but it made a 20 mile drive. I didn't have to shim anything, but I did spend a lot of time making the 4th mount for the compressor and remaking some things around it. I also had to make a bracket for the water valve, an extra one for the under dash box, completely different vents, a 3D printed tube to get the vent hose to the driver's side, extended all the wiring, and modify the glovebox, but we're basically there.

All in this thread: Classic auto air install 1970 Duster with 340 and Edebrock Super Victor EFI Manifold

Thanks for the info.
I had to make a bracket for the rear of the compressor because nothing that came in the kit fit anywhere and I wanted at least three mounting points.

Also, the way they said to attach the cabin side mounting bracket for the inside unit kinda stunk, as it said to attach the top to the under side of the cowel.
I don’t have a 90 degree drill so that was pretty much impossible.
Didn’t really want to drill into the cowel anyway.
I flipped the bracket upside down and re bent the angles to attach it to the bottom of the dash frame, and that worked out well.

I went ahead a reassembled the whole mess minus the compressor and capped the AC hoses so I could still drive the car.
The heater part works great.
WAY better than the factory unit.

I really couldn’t care less about having AC because I like all the windows down, but apparently the Wife suffers and the wind messes up her hair. :D
If it’s real warm I just take a mister spray bottle and roll all the windows down.

Last edited:
Yep, been there, done that. I ended turning my cabin side bracket right to left 180 degrees and adding another 90 degree piece, that way I could drill holes through the glove box... I'd love it if we could get a couple of their tech guys to travel around and look at what folks have done to make their system work.

-
Back