"clones"

-
I guess I am like 69bronzeT5...I'm only 17, someone emailed me yesterday asking if I wanted a beautiful 73 show car duster. But I can't afford it, therefore I am going to use what I have, and it is going to be a low budget car. The least I could do is dress it up with the stripes (well anyway I plan o putting a 340 in it anyway). But I don't care what other people think. Oh well, it doesn't really get to me when something is misbadged.

Ok folks, my '73 340 Dart Sport "Convertriple" is a #'s matching car throughout, I have the original broadcast sheet, documentation, and all that jazz, but I changed the interior color, from Parchment to Black, and exterior color, from Bronze to Sublime, painted the bumpers, and added a go-wing. Is this taboo? I think not. It all can be changed back if desired. Opinions? Here's a pic.
do you have any pics of it how it was originally by chance? sounds like it was a nice color combo. don't get me wrong nothing wrong with it now at all, just intrested to see that combo......

The bottom line, as others have touched on, is if you try to sell a clone,tribute,re-creation car as a original. Thats where the problem is. Some of these guys (Crooks) go as far as changing vins,fender tags,etc. They should be shot.

As long as your up front with the car,and what it is,and what it is not,then to each his own.

Here is a pic of my 340 replica. By the way,it is a 360. 8)

Your car is a perfect example of why I am asking what I am asking.

You have a gorgeous car with a 360 in it.

Is it that you arent proud of that 360 or is it that you like the 340 logo so much that you need to have it on the car?

I dont have an issue with anyone and am not trying to start anything...I am a newbie here and dont want to rock the boat.

I just dont personally see the point of saying its a 340 with the 340 callouts and all when its not.

Why not have custom callouts made with the 360 in it?

I guess, really, what bugs me isnt the scoops or go-wings ...those are hot on NAY car IMHO.

Its the specific "340" or "Twister" logos being used when the car ISNT a 340....ISNT a Twister....Just seems silly.

Its like calling a Dart a Duster. Same basic car with lots of similarities but not the same, ya know?

Be proud of what ya own.

I understand the idea of "its my car and I will do what I want....but the Petty Blue 340 shown above is a PERFECT example.....the decals dont make it a 340...the 340 does. (That is a GORGEOUS ride!) Same with Convertriple's car...GORGEOUS!

Seems to me like a clone or replica should live up to the definition of the word...if its a 340 clone, it should have a 340 engine......if its a Hemi clone, it should have a Hemi....if its a Twister clone, it should have all the stuff that would make it a true clone or replica. Nothing wrong at all with a car that has been pieced together with the best of different cars, etc......but it can stand on its own without being called a clone IMHO.

I dunno.....Like I said, just my opinion...seeing these different opionions has been enlightening.

Don't tell anyone. But this car is a clone/tribute car.
I tell everyone that it started life as a 318 car.
Never cover up the vin tag when I show it.
How many brand X cars are out there,that stared out as a
6 cylinder car?
Just don't sell it as an orignal car.

000_0094.jpg

"Numbers Matching" means nothing to me and I wouldn't consider a car that was advertised as such since the seller is trying to get more for something that I don't value.

With options; if it came with something I didn't like I would remove it and if didn't have something I did like I would add it.

My 68 Barracuda has Formula S emblems. The PO had replaced a fender with one that had the emblem and instead of weldng up the holes it was easier to add one to the other side. I had no feelings one way or another since I didn't know what Formula S meant when I purchased the car. I had intended to remove them when I painted the car (sublime because the QQ1 blue was to common for me) but forgot to weld up the holes so I put the emblems back on. When it was time to redo the interior I like the look of the 67 upholstery better than the 68 or 69 so I redid the interior with 67 seat covers. I liked the look of the 69 side stripe so I added it and since I had installed a 360 so I figured it would be fun to have 360 called out in the stripe instead of 340 or no call out. The whole drive train, suspension and brakes is made up of pieces from 73-81 vehicles. These changes make the car go, stop and handle better than the 68 parts.

My opinion is do what you want with your car. If numbers matching is important than its up to you to make sure you are getting what you pay for and if its not don't pay a premium for it move on.

nothin wrong with it my 1st car was a 72 duster twister 318 3-speed on floor car but somebody made it a "tribute" car sometime back when i bought it, it had a 340 n a 4-speed in it. but ive always wanted a 340 car so i got myself a 340 car

How about the situation that i'm in.
I want to build a car or 2 and have slant6 318 340 and 360 abody project cars to choose from in the same condition. I want to build a car that is personalised not butchered and cannot choose between them. Cars range from a '71 340 duster to a '75 360 dart sport. All of them don't have the # matching engines with them so what do i do?
I have about 12 good project cars and the rest are parts cars only about 40 cars totaly.
I'm not looking to clone anything at all.
Just have some fun!
Input/cloning
all thoughts highly appreciated, I don't mean to hijack the thread.:evil4:
Tom.

Sorry 7demon2, I don't. Photography has never been my forte. Although in the past 5-6 yrs. since I've acquired a digital camara and computers, I have been taking alot more pics. Got a good collection going so far of my recent build in progress, a 69 Sport Satellite, originally a 383 2 bbl automatic car, now to be 440, (drivetrain built and waiting), and yes, I'm going to hang some '69 GTX specific parts on it. I'll let the VIN and fendertag show it's true identity. Here's a picture of my car, and a pic borrowed from the internet of a car that looks close, (mine will be Intense Blue), to how I'm wanting my finished product to look. I hope whomever owns the car doesn't mind me borrowing their pic. lol

100_0326.jpg

Picture%20736_640x480.jpg

When I build my car I am going to get different badges for mine too... except they're going to say an engine smaller that's actually in that engine bay, I love when people do that. (for example, someone with 340 badges /stickers did a big block swap). =)

I'm guilty. I found R/T emblems for my 68 Charger I once had and I switched them out.

Made it a R/T in less than 30 minutes. LOL

As time goes on our A Bodys are getting harder and harder to find. The desireables are all but impossible to get for decent $ so I dont have a problem dressing up and definately no problems cloning to actual specs. I think its pretty cool actually, I would buy one and treasure it as I would an original OEM machine. But as stated above it all needs to be above board where sales are concerned.
Joe

its my car and i will build the way i want as i see fit but if i sell it the truth will be told

Your car is a perfect example of why I am asking what I am asking.

You have a gorgeous car with a 360 in it.

Is it that you arent proud of that 360 or is it that you like the 340 logo so much that you need to have it on the car?

I dont have an issue with anyone and am not trying to start anything...I am a newbie here and dont want to rock the boat.

I just dont personally see the point of saying its a 340 with the 340 callouts and all when its not.

Why not have custom callouts made with the 360 in it?

I guess, really, what bugs me isnt the scoops or go-wings ...those are hot on NAY car IMHO.

Its the specific "340" or "Twister" logos being used when the car ISNT a 340....ISNT a Twister....Just seems silly.

Its like calling a Dart a Duster. Same basic car with lots of similarities but not the same, ya know?

Be proud of what ya own.

I understand the idea of "its my car and I will do what I want....but the Petty Blue 340 shown above is a PERFECT example.....the decals dont make it a 340...the 340 does. (That is a GORGEOUS ride!) Same with Convertriple's car...GORGEOUS!

Seems to me like a clone or replica should live up to the definition of the word...if its a 340 clone, it should have a 340 engine......if its a Hemi clone, it should have a Hemi....if its a Twister clone, it should have all the stuff that would make it a true clone or replica. Nothing wrong at all with a car that has been pieced together with the best of different cars, etc......but it can stand on its own without being called a clone IMHO.

I dunno.....Like I said, just my opinion...seeing these different opionions has been enlightening.

First of all,let me tell you that this is a great question for a thread. Your opinion is perfectly acceptable.

Having said that, I am building a 340 replica. However to put a 340 motor in this car would have cost alot more money. 360's are cheap and everywhere. A friend of mine built this long block for a customer,who never picked it up. I got a killer deal on it, his loss my gain. My Dart was originally a 318 car, so I have no problem with the way I'm building it. If it was an original 340 car, it would without a doubt have a 340 in it.

No sure if any of this makes sense, I guess it is was it is. 8)

Take care.

I love them all and since they are all over 20 years old its kind of nice to create your own. My Scamp is going to end up a clone of something as I don't care for the stock factory look although on the engine side, I am a little bit older I guess I prefer to sticker it 273 and hide a 408 stroker between the fenders :)

I'm guilty. I found R/T emblems for my 68 Charger I once had and I switched them out.

Made it a R/T in less than 30 minutes. LOL

I know it's not a Mopar but my Aunt and Uncle (uncle passed away) has this olds cutlass and people wouldn't stop asking if it was a 442. So naturally he got irritated by it and put 442 badges on it to shut people up.

What would you rather have

0000dartvan.jpg

67 Dart GT slant 6 auto, 13" wheels buckets no console, 7 1/4 rear

008.jpg

same car new wheels

4BBDVinsetta.jpg

67 Dart GT 340 4 speed console, 69 GTS stripe, 8 3/4" posi 373 gear

lowIMG_0739.JPG

Now this is the same car I bought in 1993. I do not claim it as a real GTS 340 car, could not get a 67 340 car. I was asked once how I got a 340 in a 67, I told him when you build it you can have anything you want.

How many Dart convertibles have you seen with plush carpet, cloth top, Ultraleather interior, trim delete, painted on GTS stripe? My fender tag is made out of Polished stainless with the VIN, Paint code, engine size and details and GTS CLONE

If the guy selling it does not disclose it as a clone then that is WRONG.

If he tells you it's a clone or something added and you want it, buy it and remove the decal, change whatever to make it as built, but most cars are not worth the trouble. Who really cars on a average car. It it were a Hemi, 6 pack, real BBD that might be different. On a 318 Duster with Twister stripe, does it really matter?

I was offered STUPID MONEY for my car, do you think if I restored to original I would get STUPID MONEY offers?

Cloth top, pearl white paint

0000dartvan.jpg

008.jpg

4BBDVinsetta.jpg

lowIMG_0739.JPG

Your not being "picky" we'd hate to sell this but have other projects that need attention too,Cash only,serious only.p.m me for more details /pics ......not an h code.....not a clone...just how I put a car together for a 340
I have been looking for an A body for a bit now, and I am finding I am a bit more picky than I thought I would be...

What do you guys think about the cars that people dress up as clones? IE where they take a 318 car or 360 car and slap "340" or "twister" stickers on them even when they arent either.....

I found a 72 car that is stickered as a Twister....guy claims it is an original v8 car(318)...but it isn't a real twister....he added a scoop and go wing and the sticker....it does have a 318, from a 69, in it.

I kind of feel like that is a "wannabe"...the sticker bugs me...I guess I dont agree with false advertising...LOL...I feel like if it says "340" on the side, it should have a 340 in it.....their are a lot ofcars out there for sale like this....Whydo people do that?

I guess I am being too picky, eh?

EX000521.JPG

EX000514small.JPG

scoop.JPG

EX000643.JPG

engine compartment 0005-2.JPG

First of all,let me tell you that this is a great question for a thread. Your opinion is perfectly acceptable.

Having said that, I am building a 340 replica. However to put a 340 motor in this car would have cost alot more money. 360's are cheap and everywhere. A friend of mine built this long block for a customer,who never picked it up. I got a killer deal on it, his loss my gain. My Dart was originally a 318 car, so I have no problem with the way I'm building it. If it was an original 340 car, it would without a doubt have a 340 in it.

No sure if any of this makes sense, I guess it is was it is. 8)

Take care.

Well, now you have me thinking ---- Maybe its actually my thinking that is goofy here....(remember, I am a newbie..be gentle...LOL)

Let me ask the question this way....What "makes" a "340" ?

I was thinking that the "340" call-outs were meant to say "hey, I have a 340 engine under the hood...look out!"................Does "340" really, instead, signify more of a MODEL than a specific ENGINE? (In original MOPAR terms, I mean).

Again, just to re-iterate....not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or slam anyone's car....there are some GORGEOUS examples being shown here! I would be proud to own any one of them!

Dave

Well, now you have me thinking ---- Maybe its actually my thinking that is goofy here....(remember, I am a newbie..be gentle...LOL)

Let me ask the question this way....What "makes" a "340" ?

I was thinking that the "340" call-outs were meant to say "hey, I have a 340 engine under the hood...look out!"................Does "340" really, instead, signify more of a MODEL than a specific ENGINE? (In original MOPAR terms, I mean).

Again, just to re-iterate....not trying to hurt anyone's feelings or slam anyone's car....there are some GORGEOUS examples being shown here! I would be proud to own any one of them!

Dave

What makes a 340 is that it is a high winding high revving performance engine.
Put this engine in a light A-body and you got quite the performance car.

With the right driver and tune,these cars put fear in the heavier big block guys at the track.

There are many stories of 340 cars beating the big block cars in the quarter.

The 340 call outs specify performance,and they are there to give you a fair warning ! 8)

A 340 is a lot like a 318 on steroids. It`s got a slightly larger bore, comes with 10.5-1 compression, a good flowing set of heads with large valves, a high lift cam with HD valve springs, low restriction exhaust manifolds, double roller timing chain, forged steel crankshaft, windage tray, dual plane four barrel intake, viscous fan, and dual point distributor. The engine is a high revving little rascal and has been proven to create good horsepower (275) and take it`s fair share of abuse. When you bought a 68/69 Dart GTS or Formula-S you could get a 340 or big block but with the GTS and Formula-S packages you got a beefed up suspension, transmission, and brakes that came with the engine package.

I know it's not a Mopar but my Aunt and Uncle (uncle passed away) has this olds cutlass and people wouldn't stop asking if it was a 442. So naturally he got irritated by it and put 442 badges on it to shut people up.

What exactly did 442 stand for ... I know it wasn't size of the motor.

4 = 400 cubic inch

4 = four speed

2= two carbs

I've heard all different type explanations.

-
Back