Clutch fan possible?

-

meathead66

Mod Top
Reaction score
Just installed my radiator and I have 3 3/8" between water pump and radiator. Is there a fan and clutch that would fit in between? Any experiences?

you can adapt a Mercedes fan clutch if you need some clearance as they are pancake thin. Ie. use the whole thing.

PS>> I saw a belt drive fan in a shroud that was very thin. It had a motor up at the corner Moroso water pump style, and a belt that ran diagonally down to an internal fan in the shroud. It looked like he had about 3" between the water pump pulley and the shroud. Sort of like a swamp cooler looking rig but it was tastefully done.

hayden makes a unit that might work for you. hayden 2947 i think the overall height is 2.7 inches

I tried the Hayden 2947, after I moved the radiator forward. It didn’t engage, so I tried the Hayden 2765, it would engage either at 220*. So I put on a Derale dual fan set up, works awesome!

Now I might of gotten 2 bad clutches from the get go, but neither would do low speed or idle cooling necessary for my 470. Hopefully you have better luck and don’t forget to use a shroud.

I tried the Hayden 2947, after I moved the radiator forward. It didn’t engage, so I tried the Hayden 2765, it would engage either at 220*. So I put on a Derale dual fan set up, works awesome!

Now I might of gotten 2 bad clutches from the get go, but neither would do low speed or idle cooling necessary for my 470. Hopefully you have better luck and don’t forget to use a shroud.

How much distance was between your radiator and pump with the 2947? Any idea why the 2947 wouldn’t engage? I’m not really a fan of the electric setup but it may also be my only option.

I had 2 3/8, moved the radiator back and got 3 1/4.

I’m sure it was just a bad one, but 2 in row really pissed me off. So I went electric.

Fan clutch with shroud.

Derale fan set up.

F8FDE695-CC80-4852-AE85-B5792B49D637.jpeg

14F730C4-7AA9-4592-A63E-3B4A2C765D0F.jpeg

97883430-B68D-419F-8E1D-F4049CFE2038.jpeg

I like that fan set up. What are the measurements of the outside of the shroud? I have 16" 3000 cfm fan laying under the bench , and have figured out a way to build a shroud for it, but wonder, is 3000 is enough for a 700 plus horse big block. I tried the elec fan when the engine was first put together, w/o a shroud, it was a joke then. Maybe better w/ a shroud and the engine starting to get broke in. ???????

Derale shroud is 17x24 and it fit perfect on my 26” ECP radiator which is a 2 row of 1” tubes.

The mechanical shroud is for an E body and it also fit the radiator perfectly, it’s a repop that I got from summit.

Not sure if a single 16” Electric fan will be enough, but you won’t know till ya try it.

To "5.7 hemi" I like that plastic shroud you showed in the picture. Looks like a perfect fit for my application as I have a 17" fan and with the Hayden 2947 should work as I have a little over 600 HP with no air in a 69 Dart. Any link for the shroud as my radiator is a big block ECP also. Thanks
f8fde695-cc80-4852-ae85-b5792b49d637-jpeg.jpg

I got it from Summit, part number P2998326-001.

Derale shroud is 17x24 and it fit perfect on my 26” ECP radiator which is a 2 row of 1” tubes.

The mechanical shroud is for an E body and it also fit the radiator perfectly, it’s a repop that I got from summit.

Not sure if a single 16” Electric fan will be enough, but you won’t know till ya try it.

My rad. is a 29x19 crossflow, w/ two rows of 1 1/4" tubes, the core is 22x19. I modified an alum. shroud to fit it, it comes apart in the center on the sides , like a 90`s chevy/gmc truck, and don`t have enough room for a clutch fan. I can`t even run a normal oil filter, have to run a shorty. The 16' elec. fan is pretty darn stout, it jumped out of the vice when I tested it when new, I tried to catch it and it cut the hell out of my fingers. Wont do that again !!

To "5.7 hemi" I like that plastic shroud you showed in the picture. Looks like a perfect fit for my application as I have a 17" fan and with the Hayden 2947 should work as I have a little over 600 HP with no air in a 69 Dart. Any link for the shroud as my radiator is a big block ECP also. Thanks
View attachment 1715159867

See if you can get one of these to fit:

Radiator Fan Shroud

They worked really well. I could let it sit at idle in 110 degree temps and it would stay at 185. When moving at speed, temps were 190ish.

Made my own shroud with plywood and Dart board. Get some stretchy fabric, Coat with Resin, then add matt for thickness. There's a post around somewhere I got the info from. I heard some box electric types can run hot when cruising . Not enough free air flow.

Fan shroud 1.jpg

Fan Shroud2.jpg

Fan Shroud3.jpg

Just installed my radiator and I have 3 3/8" between water pump and radiator. Is there a fan and clutch that would fit in between? Any experiences?

I ran this one for about 30 minutes, worked very well ,always figured I`d re install it , but never have . Its for sale .

IMG_0469 (3).JPG

-
Back