Clutch for a 66 Dart

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any of you 66 A Body guys out there that know of a good clutch for a 66 Dart with a HP 273? I wish it was a 10" but I believe it is is a
9 1/2 ". Toolmanmike

Not oo sure of a good clutch for your 66. I have a 10 1/2 in. clutch in miy 66 Dart w/ a 318. Not too sure if you can use a 318 flywheel on a 273 or not. I am sure someone will come along with the answer for you.

Hey fellas.. sorry if it seems like im stealing your thread. ive been looking for people with a 66 valiant dart. to help me find body parts.. apparently its harder then if it was 67 by about 60%.. and everyones right. i cant find nada.. did you guys replace fenders and hoods? if so whered you get them?
I need all the help i can get.

Thanks
Cerwin

hi, I see that Mcleod clutch offers a 9 1/2 " clutch for 273 v8. the part numbers listed are; 360050 and 360752. first one is a B&B clutch, other is a diaphragm style.

Thanks for the reply! I'll check it out. Toolmanmike

Where did you find the listing? I will pm you also.

When I had my 66 Barracuda I installed a 130-tooth flywheel and a later small block bell housing (in that case it was aluminum). With those parts you can install a 10.5" clutch (easier to find, too). You will probably have to fabricate some linkage parts, though.

There is a 10" clutch that fits the stock 273 flywheel. A friend of mine had one in his 66 Barracuda. I beleive he said it came from a slant 6 truck. His 360 had too much torque for the clutch to handle, but it should be fine for a 273.

Lee

Thanks for all the options. Please keep the info coming!! toolmanmike

It's funny Lee didn't make any comments about how BAD the clutch linkage was on his 66 when he got it. YES, it was the one I put the bigger clutch in.................My fab skills have improved ever so slightly in 25 years.

I guess I should talk to the clutch companies about this. a year ago i
e-mailed Wayne Brewer of Brewer Performance and he was working on a kit
to put the bigger flywheel and bellhousing into the early A's. I have a local
Clutchmasters that can juice up a stock clutch to make it perform better.
Keep me posted! toolmanmike

I am going to give "specclutch" a shout. they may have what I need.
Mike

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in cause I'm doing the same thing...
The original 4 speed setup for a 65 cuda (273) was a 9.25" not 9.5". But I too was concerned about poor performance of the 9.25" clutch when I would eventually mate the tranny with a mild 318. So I spent a lot of time at NAPA and found that you can order a 10" cutch/PP kit for the 65 cuda. ~$180 for the complete kit (clutch/PP, alignment tool...) the PP bolts onto the flywheel fine, and the height of the 10" PP is identical to the height of the PP on the 9.25"... So, it appears that it should bolt right up, but I haven't verified it yet! :salute:

Patrick, Thanks for that info. Eventually I will pull the engine/trans out of my Dart and was curious about a better quality clutch. My present clutch
is so soft I can't spin the tires and a power-shift into second is not a pretty sight. Back in 1970 I had a 65 Dart with a HP273 and a 3 speed. I beat the crap out of that poor car and never did smoke the clutch but a non-posi
rear end and 13" bias-ply tires spin pretty easy. Thanks, Mike

-
Back