clutchflite trans

-

B.D.A.

Reaction score
does anyone remember these,fairbanks used to make and sell kits where as you cut off bellhousing,bolted on a scattershield and used a clutch in place of converter,i used their kit on a turbo 400 wasn,t to complicated, i spoke to fairbanks and they are new owners and don,t have any literature or any info on them .i would like to have the parts made and build one again ,there,s not to much needed,any info would be appreciated,sorry for the book

looking for info or old instruction sheets ,parts,or a whole trans,fairbanks used to make it but have since been bought out,and have no parts or info of any kind and no one who works there now has any experience with them. i used their kit and built a turboclutch on turbo 400 ,i would like to make the nessary parts and build another,theres not alot needed,any info would be apreciated. thanks marty

I always thought it would be cool to have one , but I'm not sure they are race legal anymore. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure someone has info on them. I'd like to know what parts and mods were done too, just because.

The old Clutchflites show up on ebag every once in a while. I used to know a guy here in Texas that built them. I'll see if I can get a line on him and get back to you.

Fairbanks? I always thought B&M pioneered the "real" Clutchflite. You have to remember that getting rid of the torque converter............gets rid of the torque converter. So you lose the advantage that it's designed to give you

The advent of tricker stick gearboxes, as well as vast development in torque converters made these pretty much obsolete.

I had one and ran one in my 72 duster and it worked good and I still have the blue print on it what are you needing to know

Clutchflite. "Now there's a name I haven't heard in a good many years." Obi Wan Kenobi

Back in the day, Clutchflite existed because high stall torque converters and trans brakes did not. Does that mean they are dead or obsolete? No.

From what I recall, B&M sold and marketed the kits. Try these guys. http://www.LyonsPerformance.com look for the Dynamic Transmission Clutch-Hydro Kit

Also try Art Carr, they were big into clutchflites, if they're still in business. A few year ago I found all the info needed to build one on the internet, the info is out there somewhere.

The advantage (back then) was that you could launch at high RPM's and nobody could out-shift a torque flight.

Russ.

thanks to all respondents,while i know its not the ultimate drag racing trans,it is sure ly a novelty street trans,the one i had was a turbo 400 with fairly stock valve body that would still shift automatically and chirp the tire at 3/4 throttle,to listen to it take off from the line as a stick and then never hear a lapse in the motor was cool.then when you downshifted with your foot off the gas it would lean you forward in your seat,floor it around a corner and you were drifting,alot of fun. thanks again marty

Just found this posted on forfmjbodiesonly.com. Was posted about a year ago.

icon1.png
Clutchflite transmission kit found
Just came across Maverick Perfrormance in York PA. They make a Clutchflite kit for the 727 mopar, similar to the famous B&M.

Here is a link to the site and member:

http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/classicmopar/showthread.php?834-Clutchflite-transmission-kit-found

yes ,lyons performance does make the kit,they do it differently than fair banks did of course,fairbanks used the complete pump and cut off the stator,and had a large billet adapter bolted in front and on top of the pump that you could bolt up different scattershields to.lyons looks like they machined a whole new pump cover. but again thanks for the info,marty.

727 eats a lot of HP. A Tremac or one of that gang IMO would be a better choice for not much more $.

yes,thats it ,maverick performance wow they have some sweet stuff,i,ll have to put my christmas tree back up. thanks marty(b.d.a.)

had a bb camaro that came with a clutch turbo.it was an unreliable piece of crap,it leaked,the input shaft you could wiggle around etc.in the trunk was a clutchflite,it wasnt loose like the 400 but i just sold that stuff off and put in an 833 4 speed. much better....

-
Back