Coach Controls Wiring Harness?

-

Steve69Fish

Reaction score
Hi All. I have decided that before I am willing to put my family and (some of) my friends in my Barracuda, that I think I need to do a full front to back wiring harness replacement. As the car is a bit of a resto-mod anyway and a Frankenstein of body parts from a few years, no worries about staying all original....so out with the old and in with the modern.

I have been focused on Ron Francis kits and expect their catalog to arrive today or tomorrow, but while researching have stumbled across Coach Controls, which has some reviews out there, though only 1 mention on FABO that I found (and that was just a link to their site). Below is a link to their harness that would be my selection

http://coachcontrols.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=85

Anyone have any knowledge of this company/harness? It has 14 relay system built into its main distribution box - so headlights and everything else are ready to rock on relay circuits right out of the gate with no under-the-hood cutting, splicing, and mounting required - plus all the relays are under dash (or wherever) for weather protection.

Call me suspicious, but I'm not overly trusting in this product if no one in a large community like FABO has even heard of them. So....anyone?

A decent number of views and not a single response. I take it these guys are unknown to all.

I have used Speedway Wiring in the past and found the price to be a little more acceptable that the Ron Francis or Painless kits. It's a bare bones kit but I believe you can add the accessories you need. Poke around on this website and see if you can find what you need. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Economy-12-Circuit-Wiring-Harness,2352.html

Thanks. I've looked over several kits in the past few weeks - Year One, Painless, Ron Francis, Speedway, American Autowire, etc. and checked them out on FABO (you guys are all a wealth of info). Speedway looked good and made my first cut. Now I'm whittling down to the short-short list.

When I learned of Coach Controls, I found nothing here, which was why I wanted to ask on that one specifically.

My big gripe with ALL (known) common aftermarket harnesses, Painless, Francis, and so on, is lack of "Moparits" and what I deem to be poor documentation..........that is......no master diagram

Also, I dislike the wire labeling. I find nothing wrong with colors and numbers, but I dislike the written labels, IE "power windows." My car HAS no power windows and so that circuit will be used for something else, like EFI or pumps

First thing I did was to sit down and "ohm out" (continuity check) everthing back to the fuse panel. I actually cut some of the buss jumpers in the fuse panel and re--worked it the way I want. That is, "some stuff" is on accessory and I switched to ignition, or vice versa.

I gave Coach Controls a call today to get a feel for them and their product. The person I spoke to was very knowledgeable in general and was happy to spend plenty of time on the phone with me answering my questions.

He acknowledged the lack of reviews for personal installations. He let me know that they really are "new kids on the block" in the personal/hot rod arena as they have been race car focused for most of the past 14 years.

They provide a laminated full color wiring diagram with their kits and have some smaller circuit diagrams available on their site for download for additional systems you may want to add. They do not use fusible link wires, but instead like 100Amp fuses protecting the power center and alternator/battery. Provide connectors and terminals with their kit - but are a GM based connector for things like the steering column switches - typical with the universal kits.

After speaking with them - and finding a really nice deal on Jegs for their kit that I was considering (better than their own current special by $35) I'm very much considering giving it a go as it saves me from having to buy, build, and splice in relay setups for things like headlights on top of the purchase and installation of the new harness as it stands.

For anyone who wants to check it out, on Jegs, $395 for regular length wires and $410 for long wires, plus free shipping, for the kit I referenced in my initial post.

Their 800 dollar kit has an EIGHT PAGE instruction manual.

coachcontrols.com/pdf/CoachWireKitInstr.pdf

I don't have any experience with Coach Controls, but I recently purchased a Ron Frances ground kit and some battery relocation cables. They seem like quality kits so far.

Battery cables came with nice (lead?) Terminals on the battery side and 4 crimp/solder terminals for the other sides. Even has a little vise crimp tool ( shaped peice of metal ) to crimp the terminal on before you solder it. Battery cables have colored heat shrink with the glue. Instructions even give tips like dipping the wire end in flux before crimping to make soldering easier.

The only issue I have is that the terminals on the grounding kit aren't soldered or heat shrinked. They have simple crimp connectors with a fiber insulating sleeve over the end. It's really a non-issue for my application though, I'm going to cut them off and change up the grounds a little anyway.

As for the actual harness, I'm using an EZ-Wire kit. I've done 2 in the past and they are quality kits.

If you get the Coach Controls kit post some pics and do a install thread.

I have no experience with this company but am looking to wire my dart very soon. I checked out there website briefly and I like the idea of ALL those relays build into the junction box. Little pricey....but they just moved to the top of the list.

Their 800 dollar kit has an EIGHT PAGE instruction manual.

coachcontrols.com/pdf/CoachWireKitInstr.pdf

That's pretty sweet compared to the 4 pages for the kit I'm considering! The thing I like about this kit is the centralized location of all the relays you are going to need while allowing for plenty of future growth.

Kit looks complete other than battery cables.

I'm still waffling between them for a nice power distribution junction box with all the relays, Ron Francis for his well-known quality, and EZ Wiring for its quality at a very nice price point.

Just ordered the it from JEGS for 395 shipped. Let me know if you'd like any specific pics or details when I get it.

Just ordered the it from JEGS for 395 shipped. Let me know if you'd like any specific pics or details when I get it.

That's great. Definitely throw up a couple unboxing pics and your initial thoughts when it arrives, if you don't mind!

And I'm very curious if any documentation more than what they have as downloads comes with the kit.

I would rather have relays for under-hood loads under the hood. That includes, headlamps (2), horn, AC clutch, ignition, radiator fan, and fuel pump. That is how all newer cars are, indeed I used a box from a 95-99 Jeep in my two A's (see avatar). That keeps small currents on the bulkhead connector (can melt otherwise) and I run small 20 awg ribbon cable from bulkhead to relay box.

I would rather have relays for under-hood loads under the hood. That includes, headlamps (2), horn, AC clutch, ignition, radiator fan, and fuel pump. That is how all newer cars are, indeed I used a box from a 95-99 Jeep in my two A's (see avatar). That keeps small currents on the bulkhead connector (can melt otherwise) and I run small 20 awg ribbon cable from bulkhead to relay box.

Agreed. However, I'd rather not wire every relay myself. In this case, my laziness trumps.

I'll be sure to do that. I've not wired a car before....so my opinions will be without comparison. However, did you check out the size of the fuze/relay box?? It's about 8"x5". That seams fairly big, but again, I don't have anything to compare it to.

I'll be sure to do that. I've not wired a car before....so my opinions will be without comparison. However, did you check out the size of the fuze/relay box?? It's about 8"x5". That seams fairly big, but again, I don't have anything to compare it to.

I did notice that [7-3/4" x 5" x 2 1/2" (LxWxH)] and it is one of my concerns on the system. When comparing to others - Ron Francis Access 24/7 is 5-3/8" x 3-1/4" x 3-3/8" and Express kit is 4-3/4" x 7-1/2" x 3-3/8". The Access kit is much smaller footprint and the Express kit is very similar sized - but the RF kits have 1-1/8" more height to them. I think that might be more of an issue for grabbing knees or things depending on placement.

New to car wiring myself and with too much information out there - I keep talking myself in circles. I tell myself "When I get home I'll order the RF kit", but then I read a stack of forums on using relays to improve your systems and...."Hey, That CC kit sure sounds nicer now" and then I look at my bank account and do a bunch of nothing. :banghead:

I did notice that [7-3/4" x 5" x 2 1/2" (LxWxH)] and it is one of my concerns on the system. When comparing to others - Ron Francis Access 24/7 is 5-3/8" x 3-1/4" x 3-3/8" and Express kit is 4-3/4" x 7-1/2" x 3-3/8". The Access kit is much smaller footprint and the Express kit is very similar sized - but the RF kits have 1-1/8" more height to them. I think that might be more of an issue for grabbing knees or things depending on placement.

New to car wiring myself and with too much information out there - I keep talking myself in circles. I tell myself "When I get home I'll order the RF kit", but then I read a stack of forums on using relays to improve your systems and...."Hey, That CC kit sure sounds nicer now" and then I look at my bank account and do a bunch of nothing. :banghead:

LOL.....I can totally relate. This Coach thing was a total impulse buy. I've been looking on and off forever and have made "my decision" like 5 times only to stew on it some more. I've basically done that with every part of my build....hence it's taking forever. I've recently decided to start throwing caution to the wind and make stuff happen. We shall see.

I have also been stewing over rewiring my 70 Duster. I like the idea of the relays being there all on the fuse panel but still think they should be close to what ever they are controlling. I`m going to go with the EZ wire 21 harness and then get hold of crackedback for some relay kits that he has. Not sure if relays will be needed for headlights and such after rewire.

I have also been stewing over rewiring my 70 Duster. I like the idea of the relays being there all on the fuse panel but still think they should be close to what ever they are controlling. I`m going to go with the EZ wire 21 harness and then get hold of crackedback for some relay kits that he has. Not sure if relays will be needed for headlights and such after rewire.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the relays not being in the proximity of the load. My understanding is point of a relay is not so much due to the load not he wires, it's the load on the switch. So I'm inclined to think it's just fine. Besides...not like I'm wiring a school bus. It's a dart...the headlights are like 4' away.

Now that being said, I got the kit in the mail today. I'm VERY happy with it. All wires have NO connectors on them, but they're included. I knew this going in, from their website. They're marked periodically. The build quality for he distribution box is really nice. Backing is metal, cover is metal, with a printed circuit board that everything is soldered to. All fuses are labeled in in small print on the circuit board.

BEST of all, the 24"x 18" color laminated (both sides) directions are awesome. I need to spend some time studying it, but it looks like a no brainer. I'm reluctant to post a close up pic as I think they actually sell it on their website. They clearly put some work into it. Not some thrown together 8x11 print out. It's very descriptive...and very clear. I'm sure it'll get confusing when I start wiring though. LOL

Attachments

• WP_20160128_17_30_43_Pro.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 786
Yeah, I've been thinking about the relays not being in the proximity of the load. My understanding is point of a relay is not so much due to the load not he wires, it's the load on the switch. So I'm inclined to think it's just fine. Besides...not like I'm wiring a school bus. It's a dart...the headlights are like 4' away.

Now that being said, I got the kit in the mail today. I'm VERY happy with it. All wires have NO connectors on them, but they're included. I knew this going in, from their website. They're marked periodically. The build quality for he distribution box is really nice. Backing is metal, cover is metal, with a printed circuit board that everything is soldered to. All fuses are labeled in in small print on the circuit board.

BEST of all, the 24"x 18" color laminated (both sides) directions are awesome. I need to spend some time studying it, but it looks like a no brainer. I'm reluctant to post a close up pic as I think they actually sell it on their website. They clearly put some work into it. Not some thrown together 8x11 print out. It's very descriptive...and very clear. I'm sure it'll get confusing when I start wiring though. LOL

From the picture, the kit looks very nice. Glad to hear about the quality of the box. A picture on their site and their description doesn't convey it as much as a customer's view.

Now that you have it in hand - how do you feel about clearance issues? Does it look like it would be in the way mounted on a kick panel?

From the picture, the kit looks very nice. Glad to hear about the quality of the box. A picture on their site and their description doesn't convey it as much as a customer's view.

Now that you have it in hand - how do you feel about clearance issues? Does it look like it would be in the way mounted on a kick panel?

I dinked around with in a bit this evening. It'll fit horizontally up on the firewall with no problem. I have an auto though...not sure what a clutch pedal would do. I'll have to get creative with spacers to mount it though. The firewall has all kinds of wonky curves and dips in it. Overall, I'm very glad I bought it. The relays on the panel and the 3rd grade level directions is going to make it easier.

Just went out and took a good look under there. Haven't owned the car for long and only drove it home, and then around the block a couple of times before tucking it away.

I don't think it would interfere with the clutch, since there's good space, but would probably interfere with the floor switch for the brights. Plus, I'm reluctant to put holes into the kick panel since it is actually in really nice condition.

So with your comments that it is a high quality kit - I think if I can figure out something for a mounting area for the panel, I'll pull the trigger.

Anyone else mount a large fuse panel/power box in their Barracuda, and if so, where?

Attachments

• DriverFloor.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 623
Printed out their mounting template to check some locations, and ruled out the kick panel due to foot switch. I'll play around more tomorrow when I'm not half asleep.

Jlcaptain24, keep us informed of your thoughts and progress!

If I can figure out a mounting strategy, I'll be ordering tomorrow.

I dinked around with in a bit this evening. It'll fit horizontally up on the firewall with no problem. I have an auto though...not sure what a clutch pedal would do. I'll have to get creative with spacers to mount it though. The firewall has all kinds of wonky curves and dips in it. Overall, I'm very glad I bought it. The relays on the panel and the 3rd grade level directions is going to make it easier.

Are the wires allready attached to the fuse panel. Could you possibly mount in the trunk.

-
Back