coilovers, stock suspension, different k member?

-

moparfreak77

Reaction score
This maybe a total stupid question...i dont care :) Has anyone ever thought about building a coilover front suspension by replacing the stock k member with a homemade (tube?) one? As in...stock spindles, brakes, LCA, new UCA to work with coilovers and make a new k member with the mounts that come up for the coilover to mount to (no inner fender bracing)? I hope I am wording all that right :). I imagine a lot of the coilover conversion kits are new parts from the frame out. Could you mount coilovers on a stock LCA? thanks

Not stupid at all as there are several different coil over suspensions on the market already, including a nice one built by a member here, HemiDenny.

My question would be why are you considering this? Is it out of want or need? The stock front suspension is capable of a lot like it is.

Not trying to knock anybody's coil over product, but that's a fact. I would look long and hard at whether or not you really will be using the car outside the parameters of the stock suspension design.

That said, if you are considering it from a fitment standpoint of say headers, then go for it.

RustyRatRod - I think those coilover conversion kits are WAY overkill for me, and $$$. My car is 100% cruiser, not a canyon carver. Totally fine with the stock suspension. I would just like more room, loose weight (maybe) and loose the torsion bars.

hemidart67- I think that looks like what I'm talking about! thanks a lot!

Is there a writeup/buildup on this?

Also, would there be not much of a gain with replacing the stock k member? I dont think it would be that hard to replace it while keeping everything else.

I'm sure the right guys will chime in but I believe airwoofer and JDMopar are guys that have the kit.
Pm them or maybe even HemiDenny and maybe they can send you some pics of the install.
Page 8 on that thread has the mock up display.

probably the best you can do for what you are looking for ...

buy the QA1 k member...uses all stock parts...then add either HemiDenny or GT suspension coil over kit...

you can use your existing steering...spindles...and brakes

kind of what i have done..

This maybe a total stupid question...i dont care :) Has anyone ever thought about building a coilover front suspension by replacing the stock k member with a homemade (tube?) one? As in...stock spindles, brakes, LCA, new UCA to work with coilovers and make a new k member with the mounts that come up for the coilover to mount to (no inner fender bracing)? I hope I am wording all that right :). I imagine a lot of the coilover conversion kits are new parts from the frame out. Could you mount coilovers on a stock LCA? thanks

the problem I found attempting to add coilovers to the factory LCA is the shock mounts (upper and lower) are inward too far causing the 2.5OD coil spring to come in contact with the factory frame / sheet metal.

on the HDK upper shock mount /chromoly support hoops, the top mount is cheated outward slightly. The same is done with the tubular LCA, all while keeping the ball joints in the same location so your track width does not grow and the factory geometry remains.

the overall limited room defined by the LCA pivot point is another challenge.....max is a shock with 4" of travel.

Stock k-member weighs 35 lbs. You won't save much there. You're going to spend a lot of money to gain little to nothing, in my opinion.

Stock k-member weighs 35 lbs. You won't save much there. You're going to spend a lot of money to gain little to nothing, in my opinion.

Rack and pinion steering, abilty to swap most any type of engine by changing motor mounts only, makes oil pan a breeze to remove and provides more clearance for aftermarket pans. Those are a few reasons people buy them.

Rack and pinion steering, abilty to swap most any type of engine by changing motor mounts only, makes oil pan a breeze to remove and provides more clearance for aftermarket pans. Those are a few reasons people buy them.

shoot....I forget about the oil pan plus's.I will add that to the list....thx

weight savings on a coil over ONLY conversion is about 11-12lbs.....approx 30lbs on a rack and pinion / coil over swap when comparing manual steer to manual steer (any brake package savings NOT included...can be done on either set-up).

not for everyone....but I have yet to talk anyone that would go back to the factory set-up after installing and driving a reputable rack / coil-over conversion.

-
Back