Cold Valve Setting

-

Still Looking !!

Reaction score
I have looked everywhere (Mopar book for 1964, Chilton's) and can not find what the cold setting is.
There is the setting for Hot but nothing for the Cold setting.
The engine is a 1965 Plymouth 273 solid lifter car.
Anyone who knows what the COLD valve lash is would be appreciated.
I changed the Cam and push rods and lifter, with new springs also.
So I will have to use the break in procedure. It is very important to get it right the first time.

Thanks

James Lopez

if you have a cast iron head..and cast iron block....add .002 to the lash for cold adjustment...

[ame]http://www.cranecams.com/pdf-tech-tips/mech-lift.pdf[/ame]

Well the Chilton manual will list the hot setting for the stock cam. Did you install a new stock cam or something else? If something other than stock, make sure you use the cam's correct lash settings, they may not be the same as the stock lash settings.

Well the Chilton manual will list the hot setting for the stock cam. Did you install a new stock cam or something else? If something other than stock, make sure you use the cam's correct lash settings, they may not be the same as the stock lash settings.

The head is stock with new springs. The cam is new, but I don't recall seeing the cold lash setting on the cam card on anywhere else on the paperwork.
Something else was weird from Isky, the stock rocker shaft had metal shims between the rocker arms. But Isky sent me springs instead. Ever seen anything like that before ???

Still looking !!

First, you won't FIND an official cold setting unless the engine was originally specified that way. There's an "industry" accepted fudge factor as 70AAR said. If this is NOT a factory cam, you need to go by whatever the cam is, by whoever ground it. If it's not on the paperwork, you need to contact them.

Either use the Mopar "fudge chart"..................

312P4452989.jpg

or use the EOIC method. What this means is.....

EXHAUST OPENING, ------------INTAKE CLOSING

What you do is you bump the engine until the EXHAUST on the cylinder you want to adjust just starts to OPEN, and you set that intake lash

Then you rotate until the INTAKE has opened and is nearly CLOSED and you set that exhaust lash

WHY THIS IS GOOD. Because unlike the Mopar chart, which is ONLY good for that firing order on a V8, EOIC works for ANY pushrod engine, whether a Briggs single or anything else you might run into "in between."

-
Back