Coming out... I like Mustangs

-
First car was a 66 Mustang...Like 64 Fairlanes as well...

You are understandably happy. Nothing beats buying from the original owner. (Hyperbole).
And in these things sentiment is priceless. In many cases more money is spent for that than for the tangible value.
Some people buy for money, some for love. Some for both.
Personally, this adult likes Mustangs just fine. But have no desire for one. They feel "cheep" after driving a Dart. They are like belly buttons. Some shows don’t even allow them.
http://www.motorweek.org/features/over_the_edge/back_to_the_fifties
This adult doesn’t treat this forum like a clikie club working under the illusion that people care what I think.
I try not to put my business on the street.
For example, this adult has several B bodies, but I don’t talk about them here. I think that would be poor etiquette on my part.
(Opps, I think I just did).
The thing is, some people only have one car to cherish. And to that person, his little Valiant is just as important as the rich mans Hemi collection is to him.
That “little lamb”?
Sort of like Nathan’s story to David. (2 Samuel 12)

Like 67Dart273 said, this is an A body forum. It is what it is.
It’s not Phord forum.
And this adult isn’t going to buy the new Hellcat either. So it really doesn’t matter

The interbrand rivalry is fun, right up until that one guy takes it too far (and there's always that "one" guy, followed by a pile on of the nut swingers).

I've owned musclecars from every manufacturer, built a particularly nasty '92 240SX with an RB25 swap, and even called a Skyline mine when I lived in Japan back in the 90's. My theory is, you're either a car guy/girl, or a brand loyalist, but you should be able to appreciate anything that is nicely done, and that the owner takes pride in. I'll spend as much time talking to the kid who built a clean import, as I will the guy that did a full on restore of some American muscle. It might not be your cup of tea, but the one thing that links all car guys (and girls) together, is the underlying desire to fix/restore/modify our rides, to stand out from the crowd.

I had 3 mustangs (69 302 fb, 69 Mach 1 428 cobra jet, 2006 V6), 68 javelin,3 novas (64, 69, 75), 2 darts (65 gt, 73 sport), 77 trans am, 57 chevy 210, 64 belvedere 440, 64 chevy van with a 327, 62 tr4, 75 tr7, 71 914, 79 rx7, 70 malibu, 56 dodge pu (440), 72 pinto wagon, 84 chrysler lazer, 78 omni, 86 pontiac 6000, 78 olds cutlass, 84 300zx, 85 coupe de ville, 01 pt cruiser, 56 & 58 chevy pu, 61 gmc suburban 81 celica gt, 05 highlander. 64 rambler, 82 corvette, 82 z28...
but I am keeping the 68 barracuda notch.

sorry to hear of your mustang problem......I sure hope you can get the medication needed for that. :jocolor::jocolor:

I used to want to look at mopars only at car shows and I never looked beyond the one brand.....then my adoptive dad told me one day that if I am going to be a true a car person then I should appreciate engineering and mechanical marvel of all cars....not just one brand.

I agree and now I go to car shows to look at them all.

I would never own any other brand other than mopar simply because I don't want to have another stock of spare parts to store......but I like GM products of the 60s and I also like Saabs made in the 60s and 70s ......there I said it :rambo:

I don't know much about mustangs but the fastback in the pics looks attractive and its still American iron:glasses7:

My own personal experience with mustangs was a bad one because my adoptive dad got me a 93 mustang convertible when I turned 21 and it was not very fun because It had a 2.3 liter and it was not very fast ........I don't need to go fast all the time but come on ....a Go- Kart can outrun a 2.3 :protest:

And the common mis-conception that all girls like convertibles ....is totally wrong....some don't like their hair blowing all over, especially those with really....really long hair :hmph: And when the top is up .....horrible wind noises.

and the worst part was the fact that there were only two pedals on the floor .......very uncool with that little of horsepower.

I never told my dad these reasons why I didn't like it or even that I didn't like it in the first place because I don't want to look like an un-grateful kid .......but I was really happy when he gave me the option to give the car back and get something else....I had it for two very long months :rambo:

I think the same car in a coupe......with a 5.0 would be a million times better. :tongue3:

Attachments

• CIMG1491.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 184
sorry to hear of your mustang problem......I sure hope you can get the medication needed for that. :jocolor::jocolor:

I used to want to look at mopars only at car shows and I never looked beyond the one brand.....then my adoptive dad told me one day that if I am going to be a true a car person then I should appreciate engineering and mechanical marvel of all cars....not just one brand.

I agree and now I go to car shows to look at them all.

I would never own any other brand other than mopar simply because I don't want to have another stock of spare parts to store......but I like GM products of the 60s and I also like Saabs made in the 60s and 70s ......there I said it :rambo:

I don't know much about mustangs but the fastback in the pics looks attractive and its still American iron:glasses7:

My own personal experience with mustangs was a bad one because my adoptive dad got me a 93 mustang convertible when I turned 21 and it was not very fun because It had a 2.3 liter and it was not very fast ........I don't need to go fast all the time but come on ....a Go- Kart can outrun a 2.3 :protest:

And the common mis-conception that all girls like convertibles ....is totally wrong....some don't like their hair blowing all over, especially those with really....really long hair :hmph: And when the top is up .....horrible wind noises.

and the worst part was the fact that there were only two pedals on the floor .......very uncool with that little of horsepower.

I never told my dad these reasons why I didn't like it or even that I didn't like it in the first place because I don't want to look like an un-grateful kid .......but I was really happy when he gave me the option to give the car back and get something else....I had it for two very long months :rambo:

I think the same car in a coupe......with a 5.0 would be a million times better. :tongue3:
wow what an ungrateful kid.

Kidding kidding:D
yes, a 5.0 would have made a huge difference (but then you'd still want it to be a convertible- with the ragtop down so your hair can blow*).

*not sure how up you are on '80s American music, Rani:D

I have been involved with both foreign & domestic autos. As for Fords,the family has owned 7 fun ones.(64 Comet 260/65 Mustang/66 Galaxie 390 2 door/69 Cougar/ 83/85/86 fox body Mustangs). All were fun.

wow what an ungrateful kid.

Kidding kidding:D
yes, a 5.0 would have made a huge difference (but then you'd still want it to be a convertible- with the ragtop down so your hair can blow*).

*not sure how up you are on '80s American music, Rani:D

I am not very familiar with 80s American music but I know this song makes reference to a 5.0 mustang vert.

I know this song because when I had that car people told me about the song to make fun ......but its a great song ....one of my favorites. I dont know when this song was new but I think it sounds cool as ice :glasses7:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE&feature=kp"]Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby - YouTube[/ame]

I am not very familiar with 80s American music but I know this song makes reference to a 5.0 mustang vert.

I know this song because when I had that car people told me about the song to make fun ......but its a great song ....one of my favorites. I dont know when this song was new but I think it sounds cool as ice :glasses7:

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby - YouTube

Young lady,Google "Mustang S.V.O." lol.

Very cool car and even cooler story!

It's OK to like Mustangs or any other car for that matter. I have a few Ford t-shirts I wear often, as I'm also a Ford fanatic. I like Corvettes and some other GM's also, but not much made after about 1977 (have to include The Bandit!). Heck, I even like some foreign cars, especially the Triumph GT6 and most MGs. So yeah, it's OK to like Mustangs or whatever.

The only one I've ever had was a '93 GT 5.0 5-speed. It was my daily driver for a couple years, and I ran it with no exhaust at all because I couldn't afford to replace it at the time. It wasn't the most expensive, rarest or fastest car I've ever owned, but pound for pound it was the most fun. I'd like to have another one some day.

11 years ago I gave up my 71 Swinger and figured I'd never own another muscle car again. Well after moving to Colorado for school and meeting a guy at a new job for work, he kinda put the itch back in me. He had a supercharged 94 5.0 Stang. In 2007 I bought a 04 GT. grey with the gunmetal torquethrust wheels. 5spd as well. I put a 4" cowl hood on it too. Sharp lookin car. I took it to the strip several times and beat the tar outta that thing!!

Ended up getting married, traded the stang and her liberty in on the Hemi Commander to get down to one payment. Still had the 86 Ramcharger 4x4 I bought around the time I got the stang but soon sold that after pickin up the 66 Valiant, lol.

Crazy how that Stang ended up getting me back into a Mopar muscle car, lol.

I've told my wife several times I wouldn't mind getting another one to play around in. Lol

Cool story ... but what ever happened to your mentor, the guy who owned the shop and the car? Retired, moved, passed away??

I knew a guy like that too. I was in my 20's and Chuck lived next door to the people who would eventually become my in-laws. Chuck was a mechanical "genius" too - could fix anything and had all the tools to do with to. I'd get in trouble all the time with my soon to be wife for "sneaking" over to Chucks instead of hanging out with her folks!

BTW, I like '69-'70 Mach 1's myself.
Great! Now you have us all "coming out"!

yes cool story.
yes this is a Mopar site, but refreshing (to me) to hear some stories about the other brands.
yes the car co. are like ALL co. only care about their bottom line and the bonuses for the top execs ( O K I said it). mopar or no car. ???I say that too, but I got 5 head of good broke horses to get me there if I have ta! LOL ( so NO car. Mopar or otherwise,, would not put me out of business). in 10 years I will say, " screw that $15/gal gas!!!????? LOL
o k I admit it. sometimes when fabo is asleep, I wonder over to FBBO!! ha 9 I lust for a 62 belvedere

OK I'll jump in too. Got a 2002 Mustang GT and my latest project/build is a 67 Fairlane 500 2dr. I've owned more cars and brands than I can remember but Mopar is still my first choice....when prices allow :D

I love my 2007 Mustang GT. And i love old mopars. Guess by the thread i'm not the only one.

Thx ADDED Sir...

I am in My 35'th Year as an 'Wrench'.

2 things I remember, In My 'Racing Years'...

1) I am the passenger in the front seat of 'the original Lightning'...
(racing against An hemi GTX ) ... just in case You peeps want to call me out
on this...
Elk Grove Blvd (back in the day) was an wide open 3.3 mile racers paradise...

2) Mr John Olinsky & the side 'oiler' (ford)...

Squared up against the elephant motor...

---Too Close to call--- :D I must admit Honored Posters... I was mmmm focused on the
ta' ta's...

Edit... the telorvehc yard art speed bump two samwich eatin po-po racers did not show up!!!

I dunno, ive always been a mopar guy, but i also like the 64-68 mustang coupes, i never liked the fastback design on any car really. :???: They just seem like a nice runaround car, i guess.

-
Back